Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2181 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

If your HR20 is set to "Hide SD Duplicates" and you are using a custom list, you'll have to enter them in manually. Once the HD version comes on, the SD version disappears, taking the selection with it.

Yup that's true. I wish they would fix that bug.

I mean if you had BBCA in your favorites, it should just auto map the new HD feed since it knows the relationship of it with the SD feed for "Hide HD Duplicates" and "Hide SD duplicates" to work correctly.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2182 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

If HLN had actual news 15 minutes each hour, it might actually be acceptable.

But since I'm stuck with HLN on the cafeteria TVs, we spend lunch laughing at whatever odd non-news segments they come up with despite all of the real journalistic news stories happening around the world.

We need a show that puts the Gordon Ramsey of journalism against the crew of HLN. Now that would be worth watching!

Love the last idea! Do it to all of them. Each show on CNN, Fox, the networks. Local shows.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2183 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

You might want to check the link... primetime ratings still beat the others listed.

yeah... but I still think HLN is a "just turn on and let it run" type of channel.... The few times I tune to it is to watch news for a bit, not to watch a specific program, and I have the feeling this is what most people do. If there is nothing else on, just turn it to a news or sports channel. :D

The link, for some reason, is blocked at my work for security reasons, apparently there is some code on there that doesn't pass the smell test of our corporate firewalls, so I couldn't see it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2184 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Nice to see BBC America up and running. Disney Jr is not my cup of tea, but I'm sure that there's much fanfare for that, as there is for BBC America. Still waiting on ION E.

#2185 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Nice to see BBC America up and running. Disney Jr is not my cup of tea, but I'm sure that there's much fanfare for that, as there is for BBC America. Still waiting on ION E.

Any guesses as to why IONE HD is delayed?

#2186 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Dump IONHD and put up IFCHD.

From the quality I've seen on Time Warner in NYC (yes I have both TWC and D*)...IFC HD isnt anything to write home about..marginal at best, sometimes Ive seen it and it looks stretched..

best to negotiate with ION since at least they render their stuff in 720p

#2187 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Any guesses as to why IONE HD is delayed?

Read back a few posts. Contract not signed yet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2188 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Read back a few posts. Contract not signed yet.

Funny

that the main site is touting its addition..!!!
http://news.directv....eye-popping-hd/

Soon continues to be NOT NOW..and without a contract signed...the new mantra of soon means not at all!!

#2189 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

From the quality I've seen on Time Warner in NYC (yes I have both TWC and D*)...IFC HD isnt anything to write home about..marginal at best, sometimes Ive seen it and it looks stretched..

best to negotiate with ION since at least they render their stuff in 720p

I have IFC on fios. Very underwhelmed. But, as it is a cablevision subsidiary, why expect quality?

#2190 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Funny

Soon continues to be NOT NOW..and without a contract signed...the new mantra of soon means not at all!!

Doesn't mean that at all. Geez. Why the down spin? They are close enough that they tested the channel and announced it. Probably just. Formality that didn't get done in time for today.

#2191 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have IFC on fios. Very underwhelmed. But, as it is a cablevision subsidiary, why expect quality?

was countering someone's want for IFC-HD instead of ION-HD..

#2192 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Doesn't mean that at all. Geez. Why the down spin? They are close enough that they tested the channel and announced it. Probably just. Formality that didn't get done in time for today.

Then in this age of technology and precise fact...WHY TOUT IT'S ADDITION?? Remove it!!

#2193 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Then in this age of technology and precise fact...WHY TOUT IT'S ADDITION??

Do you work in a large company? There is no such thing as precise fact.

Did you notice that the link you provided did not include bein even though that is live?

#2194 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Do you work in a large company? There is no such thing as precise fact.

Did you notice that the link you provided did not include bein even though that is live?

Holy $h you're right Be-In isnt on there!! its a secret!!
sorry I'm spoiled.I work I/T in a finance company...all we deal with are facts & precise $monetary amounts .....not wishes..

and I co-own a bar...so on that note...I don't have anything on our menu (food or drink) that we don't serve..

#2195 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

For those that aren't current Doctor Who fans, note that there are a bunch of programs of the 'making of..' type about it. Unfortunately they don't show up in any search I've done and have to be found manually.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2196 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

I prefer Nancy Grace in SD to HD.

Actually, I prefer Nancy Grace on mute.

I would prefer a test pattern. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#2197 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Funny

Whoops. Probably a case of one department not knowing what the other is doing. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2198 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Then in this age of technology and precise fact...WHY TOUT IT'S ADDITION?? Remove it!!

Relax, its probably just an oversight. Obviously there was every intention to launch it, but from what another user posted earlier it looks like they couldn't get the ink on the contracts in time.

In large companies - and I work at one - it is not uncommon that stuff like this happens. Is it dumb? yeah, it isn't the smartest move to update the site when the info isn't correct.... is it understandable? Sure it is.

For all we know, ION launch was intended to move forward until last night. If someone updating the website didn't read all of his dozens of emails yet, he might not have gotten the memo not to launch that update.

Also, the update could have been queued days ago for auto-launch on the 15th.

I am the Stig.

#2199 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Holy $h you're right Be-In isnt on there!! its a secret!!
sorry I'm spoiled.I work I/T in a finance company...all we deal with are facts & precise $monetary amounts .....not wishes..

and I co-own a bar...so on that note...I don't have anything on our menu (food or drink) that we don't serve..

Really? Finance companies deal in facts and precision? How'd that banking mess up happen then? :)

And you never run out of food on your menu? You are good. Or never got an order wrong?

Geez, you are comparing a PR release to a restaurant menu or to finance? Really? I'd bet you've had mistakes in both businesses.

Oh. And YOUR post had several typos and bad grammar! You must be a horrible human being based upon those MISTAKES!

Yeesh!

#2200 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

We need a show that puts the Gordon Ramsey of journalism against the crew of HLN. Now that would be worth watching!

I still want to see congressmen fight out their differences the way they do in "Two Tribes" from Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...