Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2201 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Relax, its probably just an oversight. Obviously there was every intention to launch it, but from what another user posted earlier it looks like they couldn't get the ink on the contracts in time.

In large companies - and I work at one - it is not uncommon that stuff like this happens. Is it dumb? yeah, it isn't the smartest move to update the site when the info isn't correct.... is it understandable? Sure it is.

For all we know, ION launch was intended to move forward until last night. If someone updating the website didn't read all of his dozens of emails yet, he might not have gotten the memo not to launch that update.

Also, the update could have been queued days ago for auto-launch on the 15th.

just didn't like someone telling me if I work in a large company and if I know how things work..I didn't just move here from bubblefk....that's why I said what I said....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2202 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Really? Finance companies deal in facts and precision? How'd that banking mess up happen then? :)

And you never run out of food on your menu? You are good. Or never got an order wrong?

Geez, you are comparing a PR release to a restaurant menu or to finance? Really? I'd bet you've had mistakes in both businesses.

Oh. And YOUR post had several typos and bad grammar! You must be a horrible human being based upon those MISTAKES!

Yeesh!

there's a difference between running out of something we already serve..
and someone coming into the bar asking for a big mac or a KFC bucket....clearly something we don't offer

as for the finance debacle..I'm only I/T heh heh...i'm clean :)

#2203 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

there's a difference between running out of something we already serve..
and someone coming into the bar asking for a big mac or a KFC bucket....

as for the finance debacle..i'm only I/T heh heh...i'm clean :)

No, there is not. They expected to have the inventory today and it didn't happen. Just like if your announced special doesn't show up on time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2204 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

No, there is not. They expected to have the inventory today and it didn't happen. Just like if your announced special doesn't show up on time.

I'm done countering you since I'm a horrible human being with typo's...next...where are the mod's when you need em..??

#2205 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'm done countering you since I'm a horrible human being with typo's...next...where are the mod's when you need em..??

No sense of humor? ;)

Nor a way with analogy.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2206 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

BTW, now the new channels are in the package comparisons on the webpage. Ion HD is not mentioned.

#2207 OFFLINE   lgsvette

lgsvette

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Love what Directv is doing. Would I like more, of course! I will enjoy all the HD until more shows up.

#2208 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Would be more like 1:20 when you add the extra commercial time for the extra 15 minutes.

Okayfine, whatever. Whatever it works out to that typical BBC shows need to be to take account of American commercial practices. Make up a few promo pieces of the appropriate length (including commercial breaks) to get to the next 1/2 hour, and run them as necessary to fill in.

Really, it isn't rocket science, and more and more cable shows (and even some network) are running past the 1/2 hr these days (me hugs my DVR for it knowing which ones). It isn't 1960 anymore.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2209 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Okayfine, whatever. Whatever it works out to that typical BBC shows need to be to take account of American commercial practices. Make up a few promo pieces of the appropriate length (including commercial breaks) to get to the next 1/2 hour, and run them as necessary to fill in.

Really, it isn't rocket science, and more and more cable shows (and even some network) are running past the 1/2 hr these days (me hugs my DVR for it knowing which ones). It isn't 1960 anymore.

I agree. In fact, 1:20 is easier to deal with. There is often extra material can be put in like PBS does with Downton Abbey or BBCA has done themselves with Doctor Who Confidential.

#2210 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I agree. In fact, 1:20 is easier to deal with. There is often extra material can be put in like PBS does with Downton Abbey or BBCA has done themselves with Doctor Who Confidential.

Yep. Or just put in much more commercials. Show a 60-minute show AND a 20-minute show in a 120-minute block, and add 40 minutes of commercials.

And indeed, you can squeeze in a 10-minute promo of something else in between.

Doctor Who Confidential is not BBC America "themselves" by the way, it is a BBC show shown on a different BBC channel, usually minutes after the show has aired.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2211 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Doctor Who Confidential is not BBC America "themselves" by the way, it is a BBC show shown on a different BBC channel, usually minutes after the show has aired.

I know. BBCA just used it to fill out times.

Doctor Who is on BBC One and Confidential is on BBC Three.

#2212 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image You can't be a leader in sports TV without it.

Sure you can. Just as you can be the leader in sports without the Surf Channel. The leader in sports is the one with the most sports, not necessarily every sport.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2213 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

and I co-own a bar...so on that note...I don't have anything on our menu (food or drink) that we don't serve..

Are you trying to tell us that your bar has never run out of a menu item on an evening when you had some big parties show up unexpectedly? Managing a bar or restaurant profitably means keeping your food spoilage to a minimum, which means having on hand only the fresh food you think you will need, plus a bit extra. In my first restaurant job back in college, the manager taught me it was a good thing when we ran out of a menu item. That meant we had more customers than expected that night. We made some money and the last customers had to order a steak instead of the ribs special. No big sweat.

Then there's that regular who always orders a Bombay Sapphire Martini. The bartender starts getting it ready the moment he walks through the door. What about the time the regular comes in on a Sunday night after a busy Friday and Saturday, only to find out the bar has run out of Bombay gin over the weekend?

Both situations have happened to every bar on the face of the earth, including yours.

Two trite phrases come to mind:

Stuff happens.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

And Ion TV is definitely the small stuff.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2214 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

More important, a PR release on a web page is small stuff. Ion HD is not on the "menu" that says what each customer gets for their money. The more important thing is correct.

#2215 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hey Santi don't let the fanboys get to ya! Not worth your time or effort! Cheers!
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#2216 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Interesting answer on a Facebook post from Universal Sport:

"Universal Sports is currently available in High Definition. It is up to the providers to make the bandwidth space available to carry the network in HD."

That channel is now on the TOP of my wishlist for new HD :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2217 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

"Universal Sports is currently available in High Definition. It is up to the providers to make the bandwidth space available to carry the network in HD."

Really? That's new.

#2218 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Are you trying to tell us that your bar has never run out of a menu item on an evening when you had some big parties show up unexpectedly? Managing a bar or restaurant profitably means keeping your food spoilage to a minimum, which means having on hand only the fresh food you think you will need, plus a bit extra. In my first restaurant job back in college, the manager taught me it was a good thing when we ran out of a menu item. That meant we had more customers than expected that night. We made some money and the last customers had to order a steak instead of the ribs special. No big sweat.

Then there's that regular who always orders a Bombay Sapphire Martini. The bartender starts getting it ready the moment he walks through the door. What about the time the regular comes in on a Sunday night after a busy Friday and Saturday, only to find out the bar has run out of Bombay gin over the weekend?

Both situations have happened to every bar on the face of the earth, including yours.

Two trite phrases come to mind:

Stuff happens.

for a catered event or gathering....NO.. WE DONT RUN OUT of stuff..
Now, for the ordinary joe or joe's that just walked off the street (on same night as a catered event) asking for same item, we'd likely pass it off as not having it or we'd have enough of it to serve them as well..but lean more on limiting it..

as for when I'm manning the bar, I cant speak for my other colleagues. But I don't run low on stuff or run out..I stock plenty...since I'm not a worker, I co-own the joint..I go the extra mile, whereas I see an employee just serving whatever is on the shelf....I'm not gonna lie. Yes I have run on empty but not a complete zero for stuff for my regulars.

Yeah It's just ION..heh heh

Cool Fro there Carl..:)

Edited by Santi360HD, 15 August 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#2219 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

the Surf Channel.

There's a Surf Channel?

I guess in a month there will be. Who knew?

I have to admit I also had to do a search to find out about MAV TV. It would be nice to have but not necessary.

Not every gigolo has slept with a girl from Sweden. It gives them something to strive for.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2220 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hahaha. Comcast doesn't even carry it in SD here.

spam firewall