Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2221 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

When I use Google the article is displayed on his home page. When I use IE it's not. Strange.

Spam block? :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2222 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Nice to see the pages filling up...There is always a b**ch!! If it's not "I want my channel" it's "Why didn't my channel show up on time?"

Gotta love it...human nature, never satisfied, always a b**ch to be made.

#2223 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Really? That's new.

Yeah I was surprised as well. If you "like" Universal Sports on Facebook you can probably see the comment.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2224 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

From Twitter:

Swanni ‏@SwanniOnTV
#DIRECTV web site promoting addition of ION HD, but thus far, it hasn't been added.

ONE guess as to where he found that out. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2225 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

From Twitter:

Swanni ‏@SwanniOnTV
#DIRECTV web site promoting addition of ION HD, but thus far, it hasn't been added.

ONE guess as to where he found that out. :D

as Horseshack would say "ooooooo oooooooo oooooo I know!! "

damn he really combs this site huh?

#2226 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

as Horseshack would say "ooooooo oooooooo oooooo I know!! "

damn he really combs this site huh?

Sure does.

BTW, been fun. I'm laughing during our convo. I think (hope) you are, too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2227 OFFLINE   Terry740

Terry740

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have added the new channels to my guide but when I actually check the guide they are not there. This is happenning on both my HDDVR's.

#2228 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Cool Fro there Carl..:)

Thanks, Santi. :) Here's a picture from my younger days, before my hair grew out.

I'll buy you a drink if I ever run into you in your bar.

Posted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2229 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

BBCA's lineup tonight is Top Gear repeat, and the making of Copper...Gangs of NY I already saw..I'll give it a peep to check HD quality...Am I correct that Star Trek TNG is pillar boxed?

#2230 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, Santi. :) Here's a picture from my younger days, before my hair grew out.

Posted Image

Hollar if you're ever in NYC, you'll drink for free...

#2231 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

BBCA's lineup tonight is Top Gear repeat, and the making of Copper...Gangs of NY I already saw..I'll give it a peep to check HD quality...Am I correct that Star Trek TNG is pillar boxed?

From what was posted earlier, it looks like they split the difference....chop off a bit of the top and bottom, while retaining narrow pillars on each side.

#2232 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I just reached Rose on BBCA. That looks like an Auton Spock!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2233 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Running out of channels to complain about not having....
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#2234 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Interesting answer on a Facebook post from Universal Sport:

"Universal Sports is currently available in High Definition. It is up to the providers to make the bandwidth space available to carry the network in HD."

That channel is now on the TOP of my wishlist for new HD :)

It has been at the top of my wishlist ever since it was announced that they were going to HD. The Vuelta a Espana starts on Saturday. It is probably too late to even hope for the first week, but maybe by the third week, and definitely by the start of the Giro d'Italia next May.

#2235 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

On Universal Sports HD, I did some digging on Google and found this:

http://rbr.com/unive...awaiian-telcom/

In particular:

Universal Sports launches 6/29 on Hawaiian Telcom TV Ch.90 and HD Ch.1090, and will be available as a free preview to all customers for two months

So the HD channel has AT LEAST existed since June. How come we missed THAT one here? :D

I am the Stig.

#2236 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Running out of channels to complain about not having....

I'm gonna do my Time Warner NYC & D* comparison..I have it on my MAC at home..Time to update the sheet..

#2237 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

On Universal Sports HD, I did some digging on Google and found this:

http://rbr.com/unive...awaiian-telcom/

In particular:

Universal Sports launches 6/29 on Hawaiian Telcom TV Ch.90 and HD Ch.1090, and will be available as a free preview to all customers for two months

So the HD channel has AT LEAST existed since June. How come we missed THAT one here? :D

maybe because nothing of merit is on it? not dogging it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but really guys does this channel have any exclusive anythings that are solely theirs ? You'd of thought some Olympic stuff taped would of been on it...

#2238 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

maybe because nothing of merit is on it? not dogging it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but really guys does this channel have any exclusive anythings that are solely theirs ? You'd of thought some Olympic stuff taped would of been on it...

They do Olympic sports but not the Olympics. Lots of exclusive stuff. Including the biggest coverage of Olympic qualifiers. Not sure how much is live, though.

#2239 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

There is for me. This channel is the ONLY channel that broadcasts some of the winter sports competition such as speedskating, bobsledding, ski sports, etc..... There is, as far as I know, no other channel broadcasting any of those.

So for ME, this is an important channel as I love the winter sports. It may indeed not be of merit for the average football watcher, but I don't watch football or basketball. I like the less popular sports much better.

Oh, I updated the Wiki while I was at it. :)

I am the Stig.

#2240 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

They do Olympic sports but not the Olympics. Lots of exclusive stuff. Including the biggest coverage of Olympic qualifiers. Not sure how much is live, though.

Some of it is, some of it isn't. Speedskating is usually not live, but I did catch some live action earlier this year. I think they just catch the raw feed and put commentary on afterwards for broadcasting, instead of having an on-site crew for live coverage.

That is OK for me though. These results are usually easily to avoid spoilers of. :D

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...