Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2301 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

I stopped watching Top Gear and Doctor Who (on BBC America) because I could no longer take the SD smear. Not a problem anymore! Awesome, and Thank You D*.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2302 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

BBCA must've put on some sort of push to get hd systems. Went live on fios today. Their first basic add in a long, long time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2303 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Maybe we can get some more BBC shows back on the BBCA lineup.

#2304 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

BBCA must've put on some sort of push to get hd systems. Went live on fios today. Their first basic add in a long, long time.

I wonder if their new show, Copper, is the reason?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#2305 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

I wonder if their new show, Copper, is the reason?

Could be. SR specifically mentioned it a while back.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2306 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

maybe because nothing of merit is on it? not dogging it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but really guys does this channel have any exclusive anythings that are solely theirs ? You'd of thought some Olympic stuff taped would of been on it...

Universal Sports have exclusive US rights to the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a Espana as well as several other cycling events. Leading up to the Olympics, they showed the US Olympic qualifying events for swimming, track and field, and gymnastics.

Edited by fleckrj, 16 August 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#2307 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Universal Sports have exclusive US rights to the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a Espana as well as several other cycling events. Leading up to the Olympics, they showed the US Olympic qualifying events for swimming, track and field, and gymnastics.

I welcome correction !!! now hows about it in HD ??:lol:

I remember one of my NY NBC digital alternates had Universal Sports...and then it stopped beaming...would of been cool if it was still up there..it might of flipped into HD and i wouldn't be leaning on D* to add it....

#2308 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yeah I saw that yesterday somewhere, I wondered about that too. It looked bleak for BBC America HD for DirecTV and FIOS users alike, both have been complaining for years.... and all over sudden: WHOOMP, there it is!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2309 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Not quite right, the NBC Universal GROUP has these exclusive rights, meaning they can technically show it on any other NBC/Comcast owned channel.

They just have chosen to put those events on Universal Sports this year, where they were on Versus (now NBC Sports Network) last year. I think this has to do with the fact the channel is now available in HD, and perhaps this is a way to give the channel content that would interest enough Americans.

To give you an example, the main NBC broadcast network showed swimming trials and gymnastic trials in the 2 weeks before the Olympics.

NBC Universal has the rights. Where they choose to show it, is a different matter.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2310 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Maybe we can get some more BBC shows back on the BBCA lineup.

Also ITV, etc. Since when are BSG and TNG British shows?

#2311 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Also ITV, etc. Since when are BSG and TNG British shows?

Because they star Patrick Stuart & Jamie Bamber are Brits. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#2312 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Not quite right, the NBC Universal GROUP has these exclusive rights, meaning they can technically show it on any other NBC/Comcast owned channel.

They just have chosen to put those events on Universal Sports this year, where they were on Versus (now NBC Sports Network) last year. I think this has to do with the fact the channel is now available in HD, and perhaps this is a way to give the channel content that would interest enough Americans.

To give you an example, the main NBC broadcast network showed swimming trials and gymnastic trials in the 2 weeks before the Olympics.

NBC Universal has the rights. Where they choose to show it, is a different matter.

True, but the Vuelta and Giro have been on Universal sports only, while the Tour of California and the Tour de France have been on Versus only.

#2313 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

When u say 'Basic', it's actually not part of their "Prime", which is their 1st/Basic Platform. You have to be in their 'Extreme' or 'Ultimate' package to get it.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#2314 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

When u say 'Basic', it's actually not part of their "Prime", which is their 1st/Basic Platform. You have to be in their 'Extreme' or 'Ultimate' package to get it.

True. It is hard to truly define basic. We argue over that all the time.

#2315 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

True. It is hard to truly define basic. We argue over that all the time.

For DirecTV, some people say "channels in the 200s and 300s", others say "anything that is in a Choice package".

I am the Stig.

#2316 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the new HD channels D*!!!

I hope to see DIY HD very soon.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#2317 OFFLINE   lost4now

lost4now

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

I stopped watching Top Gear and Doctor Who (on BBC America) because I could no longer take the SD smear. Not a problem anymore! Awesome, and Thank You D*.

+1

#2318 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Guess ION is on the SOON (AKA NOT NOW) list...as its not mentioned on D*'s site at all...

http://news.directv....eye-popping-hd/

same link yesterday mentioned ION...now it seems the left hand has caught up to the right hand..:lol::lol:

#2319 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Guess ION is on the SOON (AKA NOT NOW) list...as its not mentioned on D*'s site at all...

http://news.directv....eye-popping-hd/

same link yesterday mentioned ION...now it seems the left hand has caught up to the right hand..:lol::lol:

They are also really promoting Copper as part of this HD channel launch.

http://news.directv....-in-amazing-hd/

I am the Stig.

#2320 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

if we are to anticipate in groups of 4 or 5...seems that is the norm going as far back as to the ESPNU/WGNHD/Hallmark and others launch of basic HD additions a while back...here are the next 4 or 5 I'd like to see D* do

H2 / DIY / OuterMax (finish off the existing premiums already!! :)) / Bloomberg TV / Headline News (finish off the news services)..and swap of my premium choice to include the main C-Span channel not 2 or 3..since I threw a premium in the mix..

Honorable mentions go to adding Pac12/ FMC/WE/IFC & Sundance/TV Land..since the latter of the 3's HD aint superb..

Edited by Santi360HD, 16 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...