Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2321 OFFLINE   Sandy

Sandy

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks... :(

What should have been a very happy Festivus turned into a very sad one.

I look forward to enjoying BBCA in the future. I just won't be celebrating today...

~Alan

I am sorry for your loss. My beloved 22 year old cat died 5 years ago......on my birthday. So, I can relate.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2322 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Guess ION is on the SOON (AKA NOT NOW) list...as its not mentioned on D*'s site at all...

http://news.directv....eye-popping-hd/

same link yesterday mentioned ION...now it seems the left hand has caught up to the right hand..:lol::lol:

Anything official as to why IONE HD hasn't shown up?

#2323 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the new HD channels Directv!

Awaiting the ION HD launch. Whenever you're ready, I am!

The more HD the better.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#2324 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

True. It is hard to truly define basic. We argue over that all the time.

the way I see it Basic is the lowest cost package of channels. from any provider. I have basic cable as well as satellite TV. Basic cable is mainly all the NYC locals. There are a few others but mainly junk.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#2325 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

There's never been anything official about when it was supposed to launch, so nope. It will show up when it's ready. They just don't announce hardly anything until its happened.

#2326 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Contract issues. Someone in this thread called ION and they told him the contract simply wasn't signed yet. I guess it is a case of the technology being ready faster than the legal track.

We will probably get it soon.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2327 ONLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

the way I see it Basic is the lowest cost package of channels. from any provider. I have basic cable as well as satellite TV. Basic cable is mainly all the NYC locals. There are a few others but mainly junk.

By your definition, then, to be considered "basic" it must be in the Entertainment package and not require special equipment. Using your definition, and not counting the west feeds where the east feed is already in HD, the only basic channels left that are not HD are:

BYU
Bloombert
CNBC World
CSPAN1
CSPAN2
Christian Television Network
Church Channel
Daystar
EWTN
GOD TV
Galavision
Gospel Music Channel
Headline News
Home Shopping Network
INSP
ION (which will be in HD soon)
Investigation Discovery
Jewelry Television
Lifetime Movie Network
LinkTV
MTV2
NRB
Nick Jr
Nickelodeon
OWN
Pursuit Channel
QVC
RFD TV
Reelz Channel
SOAPnet
ShopNBC
TCT Network
TV Guide Network
TV Land
Teen Nick
The Word Network
Trinity Broadcasting Network
WE
World Harvest Television

Many of those do not exist in HD on any provider. The number of basics (by your definition) left to be added is extremely small.

#2328 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

There's never been anything official about when it was supposed to launch, so nope.

There was. There was an official announcement on the website (which since has been updated to exclude ION, but you can track back in this thread when it was live), and it still announced for August 15th in the DirecTV magazine of which there is a PDF in this thread somewhere.

ION was officially announced a day or so before along with the other channels that actually were launched on the 15th. Something last-minute must have happened for the launch to be scrapped.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2329 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

So you would then consider channels like H2, GAC, DIY, Cooking Channel, Bio, Military, NatGeoWild, Oxygen, Science Channel and WGN to be PREMIUM because they are not in the lowest cost package of DirecTV? (Some of those aren in the 2nd lowest cost package either).

How would you classify those channels? Would DIY HD not be considered a "basic" HD channel?

I am the Stig.

#2330 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

True, but the Vuelta and Giro have been on Universal sports only, while the Tour of California and the Tour de France have been on Versus only.

Reasons alone to have USN in HD sooner rather than later...

#2331 OFFLINE   schlagle

schlagle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Don't forget Investigation Discovery.

It's at the top of my list now, because it is my wife's favorite channel, and I get tired of walking in the room and seeing a non-HD picture. :mad:

#2332 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Many of those do not exist in HD on any provider. The number of basics (by your definition) left to be added is extremely small.

World Fishing Network is missing from your list. Even Charter carries WFN HD (after adding 56 HD channels at once)!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2333 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

And speaking of BBCA.....their program schedule for the next weeks certainly lacks much variety unless one is a Doctor Who, Star Trek TNG, Gordon Ramsey or Top Gear fan. Those programs are fine but why is there nothing else scheduled? I was originally a BBCA viewer but gave up on them when the video quality became so poor. I didn't realize that their range of programming had become so limited. The BBC TV archives are huge, so why is so little of it being utilized for BBCA???

Not saying these shows are your cup of tea, BUT "Copper" premieres this Sunday, and it appears that BBCA will be starting to re-air the series "Luther" which is an Emmy nominated, Golden Globe winning series. I like Idris Elba a lot and I never bothered to watch the series in SD, so I'm very excited for this show.

A "Law And Order: UK" episode is airing next week as well, which includes BSG and DW alums in the series.

BBCA tends to cycle their programming schedules. If you don't like something now, just keep an eye of their schedule. You may find something later...

*Channel Updates
• ION West moved to Channel 306
• AXS TV moved to Channel 340[/B]

Glad to see Ion West moving to channel 306.

On a personal level, I'd move MTV2 to 332, VH1 and VH1 Classics to 333 and 334 respectively, and put the nearby Audience on 335, and AXS TV on 336, but 340 is not bad. If they weren't going to make the changes I'd like, I think 333 would have been a better choice than 340, but that's just my opinion.

BBCA must've put on some sort of push to get hd systems. Went live on fios today. Their first basic add in a long, long time.

The FIOS announcement was made... last month, I believe?!

True. It is hard to truly define basic. We argue over that all the time.

There's two kinds of basic in my mind.

The first, and most important in my mind, is the way the providers present the channels. Many channels actually refer to themselves as basic channels, but that doesn't mean that providers have to carry them as such. For instance, Hallmark Movie Channel is considered a basic channel, and on some providers, is one, yet DirecTV offers it in a premium package. Upon it's launch, Sony Movie Channel described itself as a "basic" channel, yet DirecTV carries it in a premium package.

The second, is when you are referring to the way a provider bundles them. If I'm talking about basic channels, I'm talking about ones that DirecTV provides in base packages. Why?! Well, I'm a DirecTV subscriber.

~Alan

#2334 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Also ITV, etc. Since when are BSG and TNG British shows?

The first season of BSG was co-financed by Sky1, and in fact aired in the UK first. So throw in James Callis and Bamber and maybe it's like one tenth British? :P

Looks like I can finally change my icon. :D

#2335 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just saw Copper "behind the badge" documentary about the show. Looks very interesting indeed. NYC after the Civil War looks amazing.
Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

My gear:
http://www.dbstalk.c...931#post2931931

#2336 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

The second, is when you are referring to the way a provider bundles them. If I'm talking about basic channels, I'm talking about ones that DirecTV provides in base packages. Why?! Well, I'm a DirecTV subscriber.

~Alan

That's mostly why I used the term for BBCA even on fios.

Plus, if you want decent Internet speed, you almost have to get their middle package. The price actually goes UP if you try to take a lower package of channels. So, it funnels a lot of customers to the middle package, which includes BBCA.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2337 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

BYU
Bloomberg
CNBC World
CSPAN1
CSPAN2

Christian Television Network
Church Channel
Daystar
EWTN
GOD TV
Galavision
Gospel Music Channel
Headline News
Home Shopping Network
INSP
ION (which will be in HD soon)
Investigation Discovery
Jewelry Television
Lifetime Movie Network
LinkTV
MTV2
NRB
Nick, Jr
Nickelodeon
OWN
Pursuit Channel
QVC
RFD TV
Reelz Channel
SOAPnet
ShopNBC
TCT Network
TV Guide Network
TV Land
Teen Nick
The Word Network
Trinity Broadcasting Network
WE
World Harvest Television

23 of those are available in HD, 16 are either known not to be, or have unknown status. The ones in bold are available.

Did you leave in Nickelodeon by accident?!

BTW, I called out SOAPnet as it was rebranded to Disney, Jr. It was said that it was going to be left on until contracts were made for Disney, Jr., but to be honest, I'm surprised it's still on. Either way, an HD feed will never exist for it...

~Alan

#2338 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

...it appears that BBCA will be starting to re-air the series "Luther" which is an Emmy nominated, Golden Globe winning series. I like Idris Elba a lot and I never bothered to watch the series in SD, so I'm very excited for this show.~Alan

I loved Luther...I was just thinking about it tonight while wondering what was on BBCA. There were far too few episodes. I see they may do a spinoff centering on Ruth Wilson's character. She was fantastic. http://weblogs.varie...ce-spinoff.html

#2339 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

By your definition, then, to be considered "basic" it must be in the Entertainment package and not require special equipment. Using your definition, and not counting the west feeds where the east feed is already in HD, the only basic channels left that are not HD are...

If you stick with this very strict definition of "basic" Directv doesn't have any basic HD, since they charge an extra fee for HD. You can get this fee credited back for 2 years if you autopay, but the fee is still there.

It's one of those cable marketing ploys, "we don't charge extra for HD."
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#2340 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you stick with this very strict definition of "basic" Directv doesn't have any basic HD, since they charge an extra fee for HD. You can get this fee credited back for 2 years if you autopay, but the fee is still there.

It's one of those cable marketing ploys, "we don't charge extra for HD."

This continual argument is why I stay away from the term basic usually. Sorry to have restarted it. Channels are channels. They are available on a system or they are not. the rest is how and how much you pay for them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...