Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2461 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

My HD wish list:

H2
HLN
DIY
Reelz
LMN
FMC
WE
DFH
SOAP
DOC
ID
HUB
TeenNick
GMC
Fuse
NASA
IFC

These are not in any order other than channel number except for H2...my top pick. I know a lot of these might not have HD feeds even available yet, but hopefully they will soon. SD channels shall die a slow death in my house.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2462 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

My HD wish list:

H2
HLN
DIY
Reelz
LMN
FMC
WE
DFH
SOAP
DOC
ID
HUB
TeenNick
GMC
Fuse
NASA
IFC

These are not in any order other than channel number except for H2...my top pick. I know a lot of these might not have HD feeds even available yet, but hopefully they will soon. SD channels shall die a slow death in my house.

Of those, i am only interested in H2 (although they stretch older content) and FMC. I've said before, IFC is a big disappointment to me. I have I on fios.

Not on your list. I want the Plex channels and maybe TVLand.

None are dire needs though. Everything for me now is bonus since we got TCM and BBCA.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2463 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Of those, i am only interested in H2 (although they stretch older content) and FMC. I've said before, IFC is a big disappointment to me. I have I on fios.

Not on your list. I want the Plex channels and maybe TVLand.

None are dire needs though. Everything for me now is bonus since we got TCM and BBCA.

I have never watched Plex and my parents love TVLand so I guess I could want it for them. Also I feel FMC is totally wasted channel if the great movies they show are not in HD. Many times I would have tuned in if the movie was HD, but sadly, nothing yet. H2 I mostly watch shows like Life After People, The Universe and Modern Marvels, which have no business being show in crappy SD.

#2464 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

My HD wish list:

H2
HLN
DIY
Reelz
LMN
FMC
WE
DFH
SOAP
DOC
ID
HUB
TeenNick
GMC
Fuse
NASA
IFC

Only four of yours lack HD simulcasts available (DFH, Soap, Doc, and TeenNick).

Disney, Jr. replaced Soap, so it's expected to be only a matter of time before it disappears altogether...

~Alan

#2465 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Only four of yours lack HD simulcasts available (DFH, Soap, Doc, and TeenNick).

Disney, Jr. replaced Soap, so it's expected to be only a matter of time before it disappears altogether...

~Alan

SOAP stayed alive after all the complaints about it possibly disappearing. It's a great channel if they only had HD. I watched One Tree Hill reruns all the time on there.

#2466 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have never watched Plex and my parents love TVLand so I guess I could want it for them. Also I feel FMC is totally wasted channel if the great movies they show are not in HD. Many times I would have tuned in if the movie was HD, but sadly, nothing yet. H2 I mostly watch shows like Life After People, The Universe and Modern Marvels, which have no business being show in crappy SD.

H2. When History Channel actually shows things like Modern Marvels, if they are older than about 2008, they are SD and stretched. So I am ambivalent about H2. I found I prefer to watch on Netflix. Most is SD but good SD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2467 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

SOAP stayed alive after all the complaints about it possibly disappearing. It's a great channel if they only had HD. I watched One Tree Hill reruns all the time on there.

I love "Veronica Mars", but I have all three seasons on DVD in less compressed anamorphic widescreen.

However, I know of no changes to ceasing operations once all the contracts for Disney, Jr. have been completed.

~Alan

#2468 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I love "Veronica Mars", but I have all three seasons on DVD in less compressed anamorphic widescreen.

However, I know of no changes to ceasing operations once all the contracts for Disney, Jr. have been completed.

~Alan

I actually don't watch it anymore since The O.C. stopped being aired and they stopped showing any OTH after season 7.

#2469 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Still looking for RFD-TV in HD. From what I see on this thread I think I am the only one that has asked for it. I guess thats the reason its not there. Lot of the shows that I would watch on there are now shot in HD but on SD they are shown cropped both horzontal and vertical. Makes it like you are looking through a small window on a 46" HD Tv. Good to get the latest stations in HD. Anything in SD is sad. Keep them coming!!
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
BlueRay with Netflix Streaming
Roku-Amazon Prime

#2470 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Still looking for RFD-TV in HD. From what I see on this thread I think I am the only one that has asked for it. I guess thats the reason its not there. Lot of the shows that I would watch on there are now shot in HD but on SD they are shown cropped both horzontal and vertical. Makes it like you are looking through a small window on a 46" HD Tv. Good to get the latest stations in HD. Anything in SD is sad. Keep them coming!!

I don't watch the channel but I certainly know what you mean about the cropping around the entire picture. I hate that so much on SD channels. If they are going to do that, just take down the SD feed entirely and go HD only.

#2471 OFFLINE   James Anthony

James Anthony

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Long time viewer, first time poster! Thought I would register to say how pleased I am with the recent HD additions! All I need now is H2 and Investigation Discovery and I will no longer need to watch any crappy SD ever again!

#2472 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

My HD wish list

DIY and every HD channel that is out there :)

#2473 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

H2 was showing "WWII in HD" today. :)

#2474 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

The last Festivus pretty much satisfied me. The wants now are minor in comparison. I would like to see H2 in HD. It would be nice if they'd add the Pentagon Channel in HD as well. I'd be interested in seeing it. Beyond that, y'all can have what you want :D

#2475 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

I know people are getting tired of me talking about CW HD-DNS, but I have to bring up something that happened today after reading the above. :lol:

I was flipping through my local channels today and noticed that my local CW affiliate which is currently SD only but going HD next year was showing a movie window-boxed. I believe they may be using the CW Plus HD feed for the non-network programming because this is not the first time I've seen something from them window-boxed over the last month or so. I think a movie and an episode of "Seinfeld" were the others...

Anyway, I flipped to a neighboring market's FOX affiliate's sub-channel of The CW to see they are providing the movie in the natural 4:3 aspect ratio... which means I'm seeing it Pillarboxed as it should be shown via my aspect ratio settings on the HR34.

I then flip to CW DNS East (WDCW) to see the channel is... well, it looked like someone took my iPAD 2 and attached it to my 46-inch HDTV and is playing the movie on the iPAD 2. Apparently, WDCW was NOT showing the movie in HD, so the picture appeared windowboxed on their 16:9 HD channel which DirecTV then received and downconverted/cropped to 4:3, and was then shown on my TV in pillar-boxed mode. :eek2:

I've never seen anything like that before... LOL!!!

I don't watch the channel but I certainly know what you mean about the cropping around the entire picture. I hate that so much on SD channels. If they are going to do that, just take down the SD feed entirely and go HD only.

Multiple channels have already gotten rid of their SD feeds... but providers downconvert and crop them for distribution. Hence why we are seeing windowboxing occurring on some channels.

~Alan

#2476 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Multiple channels have already gotten rid of their SD feeds... but providers downconvert and crop them for distribution. Hence why we are seeing windowboxing occurring on some channels.

~Alan

Oh OK I guess I should have realized that's what they were doing. Makes sense to me now. So I guess it's mostly just a bandwidth issue then on DirecTV's end if they keep only the SD feed for the time being.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2477 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Oh OK I guess I should have realized that's what they were doing. Makes sense to me now. So I guess it's mostly just a bandwidth issue then on DirecTV's end if they keep only the SD feed for the time being.

It is a customer issue. They need the SD channels for the tons of SD only receivers out there. They are starting to provide some perks like UEFA and NASCAR in HD only to entice movement off SD only.

Wonder if there is any technical reason why they can't do widescreen SD and have the older boxes pillar box. Can they do that with a software update?

#2478 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

It is a customer issue. They need the SD channels for the tons of SD only receivers out there. They are starting to provide some perks like UEFA and NASCAR in HD only to entice movement off SD only.

Wonder if there is any technical reason why they can't do widescreen SD and have the older boxes pillar box. Can they do that with a software update?

I meant HD in addition to the SD feed. Not replacing it in that post.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2479 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I meant HD in addition to the SD feed. Not replacing it in that post.

Ah.

#2480 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I know people are getting tired of me talking about CW HD-DNS

Never. We are all in the same boat, we all want more HD. More HD, more HD, MORE HD! Opps sorry. :D

spam firewall