Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2501 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Long time viewer, first time poster! Thought I would register to say how pleased I am with the recent HD additions! All I need now is H2 and Investigation Discovery and I will no longer need to watch any crappy SD ever again!

my entire wish list includes H2, & HLN.

by the way, i like your avatar :D

Xtra + HD Extra Pack + Starz + Showtime
SiriusXM subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2502 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Well, it's not a problem where I live, because our local CW is not a sub-channel to some other network affiliates main channel. I've actually learned quite a lot about the issue because of your posts.

I 100% agree that DirecTV customers deserve to have CW available to them in HD if at all possible. I just had no idea how much of a cluster-f*** that is across so much of the country, nor (still) how complicated that might be as a negotiating issue. CW, like any OTA network, needs their local affiliates. How much that complicates their ability to negotiate with D* on the issue, I don't know. Maybe considerably.

Learn a little more...

The CW Plus started offering HD to their affiliates this year for the first time, and many affiliates have already started offering HD feeds either via satcos, cablecos, or on their sub-channels, so with any luck, DirecTV will be adding HD versions to most markets shortly. For instance...

Tallahassee, FL's CW affiliate is broadcasted in HD on WTLF. DirecTV currently has it in testing. It's also simulcasted in SD on the local FOX affiliate's 1st sub-channel. WTLF is one of the two Tallahassee, FL stations I can't receive via antenna, and WTLH-DT2 is the ONLY CW affiliate I can receive via antenna.

Columbus, Georgia's NBC affiliate, WLTZ, just started broadcasting their CW sub-channel in HD. From my understanding, NBC looks horrible, but that they are in the process of getting new equipment that will help that... :rolleyes:

(my market) Albany, Georgia's CBS affiliate, WSWG, runs a MyNetworkTV sun-channel, and a CW sub-channel. The CBS feed is available in HD on DirecTV, and The CW sub-channel in SD on DirecTV. They will be offering The CW in HD next year. A station owned by the same broadcasting group (Gray's Broadcasting, whose administrative office is in Albany, BTW) has another CBS station who offers a CBS and CW affiliate in another market both downrezzed to 720p, so I suspect that's what they'll do. Since I can't receive them OTA (small broadcasting area), no big whoop to me.

When I contacted my station (above) about it I was told that the reason they are waiting until 2013 for the upgrade is due to them not having the "capacity".... (a word I'm beginning to hate as much as "SOON!"). I'd wish they would offer the satcos and cablecos an HD feed now, but considering we don't have ABC in HD here yet, I'm not sure it makes a difference yet.

The moral of the story; if DirecTV can find the room, I suspect we'll see more and more CW HD affiliates start popping up in the future. Hopefully most will see action soon (even if I won't)... :(

~Alan

#2503 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

wtvy here in dothan al broadcast cbs in hd ,cw and my network in sd.wtvy is own by grey television.wtvy 4.1 broadcast local news in hd now,4.2 in sd ,4.3 in sd.wjhg fl in panama boradcast nbc in hd ,my network in sd, cw in sd.wjhg is own by grey television.

#2504 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

wtvy here in dothan al broadcast cbs in hd ,cw and my network in sd.wtvy is own by grey television.wtvy 4.1 broadcast local news in hd now,4.2 in sd ,4.3 in sd.wjhg fl in panama boradcast nbc in hd ,my network in sd, cw in sd.wjhg is own by grey television.

Yes, I had on WTVY (and WDHN) while flipping through channels the other day. It's probably only a matter of time before they offer The CW in HD as well.

I still think it'd be nice if DirecTV added the upcoming ION HD East feed to our locals... just pick a random number in the 60s or something...

~Alan

#2505 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Epix, Cooking, H2, TV Land, WealthTV, Pac-12 Network, Sundance, IFC.

#2506 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

What I'm concerned about Alan, is how the DNS eligibility rules, as they'd be interpreted by all three parties, D*, CW HQ, and CW affiliates, might impact negotiations. If, for instance (as there appear to be) lots of CW SD LiLs that are broadcasting OTA as SD, what does that do to eligibility, if anything? Saying "I want HD instead!" (which most customers would), does not obviously mean that a CW SD local is going to agree that meets eligibility to receive a national HD DNS. Right? CW HQ and CW SD OTA locals (applying pressure on CW HQ) might just like to avoid that customer pressure altogether by not making a HD DNS deal with D* in the first place.

Edited by georule, 19 August 2012 - 02:56 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2507 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to see H2 in HD.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#2508 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

What I'm concerned about Alan, is how the DNS eligibility rules, as they'd be interpreted by all three parties, D*, CW HQ, and CW affiliates, might impact negotiations. If, for instance (as there appear to be) lots of CW SD LiLs that are broadcasting OTA as SD, what does that do to eligibility, if anything? Saying "I want HD instead!" (which most customers would), does not obviously mean that a CW SD local is going to agree that meets eligibility to receive a national HD DNS. Right? CW HQ and CW SD OTA locals (applying pressure on CW HQ) might just like to avoid that customer pressure altogether by not making a HD DNS deal with D* in the first place.

Here's the thing...

All DNS feeds have the same rules... if you can receive an SD feed OTA, but want an HD feed... too bad, you're out of luck.

Though the amount continues to dwindle, WDCW (DNS East) is provided to some markets in their locals when one is not available... and some of us are lucky enough to have the DNS feeds already.

DirecTV may rightly feel that it's not worth the bandwidth until D14, but I personally feel that $3.50 for two channels deserves HD consideration.

Besides, there could be some benefits to putting these feeds up on CONUS, given that not all the Washington, D.C. or San Diego LiL is available in HD via DirecTV.

~Alan

#2509 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I know people are getting tired of me talking about CW HD-DNS ---
~Alan

I do not understand why folks are not clamoring for PBS-HD availability as DNS. Like CW, PBS has only SD DNS offered.

Is PBS HD DNS just not as attractive to viewers as CW HD DNS would be?

#2510 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

I do not understand why folks are not clamoring for PBS-HD availability as DNS. Like CW, PBS has only SD DNS offered.

People? Alan is clamoring for the CW.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2511 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Here's the thing...

All DNS feeds have the same rules... if you can receive an SD feed OTA, but want an HD feed... too bad, you're out of luck.

I understand those are the rules. I also understand that, as you've educated me, nobody else in the OTA network world, by far, has such an f'ed up HD distribution network as the CW. That you know the rules, and I know the rules, does not necessarily mean that the demand on CW locals for waivers --which will be denied-- is not going to go thru the roof if D* makes CW HD DNS available. . . and CW HQ and CW SD OTA locals might be thinking about that as well.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2512 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I understand those are the rules. I also understand that, as you've educated me, nobody else in the OTA network world, by far, has such an f'ed up HD distribution network as the CW. That you know the rules, and I know the rules, does not necessarily mean that the demand on CW locals for waivers --which will be denied-- is not going to go thru the roof if D* makes CW HD DNS available. . . and CW HQ and CW SD OTA locals might be thinking about that as well.

The funny thing about Distants is that they are carried without the permission of the network or the station carried. One only needs to live in a white area (for that network) or have the permission of the local affiliate(s) who have OTA coverage of that location or in that market.

DirecTV offering CW-HD Distants might "rock the boat" and cause less waivers to be issued. But legally the networks have no say in the matter. Personally I don't see why any affiliate would offer a waiver to anyone, whether the Distant feed is in SD or HD. The local affiliate wants viewers watching THEIR commercials.

#2513 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

The funny thing about Distants is that they are carried without the permission of the network . . .

Really? I did not realize that. In a world of (wildly) increasing "re-trans fees", it never occurred to me that might be true.

#2514 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

tonyd79 is correct...

On the 2010 poll, CW-HD ranked #37 on the list, and I suspect many of those votes were from people asking for their LOCAL one. Even if that were not true... I suspect many may no longer need it, or no longer receive them in SD. :(

I'm very lucky to have PBS in HD in my locals... I rarely watch it compared to The CW's programming which, to be honest, ranks higher on my list than NBC's. I'm also lucky because the day my locals went live, my PBS DNS was YANKED big time... it saved me the trouble of having to deactivate it.

James Long explained something to you that I should have earlier... but I'll add this... you're grossly overestimating demand. ;)

I did notice something though... apparently, DirecTV does not use XETV (CW DNS West) in short markets at all... just WDCW (CW DNS East), so they could probably get by with just adding the East coast feed.

On a related note, I tuned into WDCW earlier today or yesterday and found they were airing a Nationals game windowboxed on the SD feed. Something must be wrong with their HD feed...

But I digress... I'll drop the subject until my regularly scheduled gripe before the new Fall season begins the first of October... ;)

~Alan

#2515 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

And me...so yes "folks" would love CWeHD or CWwHD!

#2516 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

And me...so yes "folks" would love CWeHD or CWwHD!

Never realized how lucky I was to have my local CW in HD. Or are those channels totally different than my local CW?
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2517 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Never realized how lucky I was to have my local CW in HD. Or are those channels totally different than my local CW?

Aside from some different syndicated programming, the same... Unless you live in Washington, D.C. Or San Diego, then it's exactly the same... ;)

~Alan

#2518 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Contract issues. Someone in this thread called ION and they told him the contract simply wasn't signed yet. I guess it is a case of the technology being ready faster than the legal track.

We will probably get it soon.

Thankfully this didn't happen with a decent channel. People here would be freaking.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#2519 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thankfully this didn't happen with a decent channel. People here would be freaking.

Goes to show you how many people even watch that channel. I think the only thing I ever saw on there I would watch was Criminal Minds syndication.

Edited by banditt76, 20 August 2012 - 12:39 AM.
My fingers are dyslexic.

LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2520 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Aside from some different syndicated programming, the same... Unless you live in Washington, D.C. Or San Diego, then it's exactly the same... ;)

~Alan

I wish I lived in San Diego. Well if I had a decent job there to support a nice life. CW has always been my favorite channel since OneTreeHill aired in 2003. Still bummed I won't get to watch new episodes ever again. I really wish they would come out with the seasons on blu-ray and not just DVD.

They certainly have some of the most creative show creators. They and ABC Family have the best new shows regularly in my opinion.

spam firewall