Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2521 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I do not understand why folks are not clamoring for PBS-HD availability as DNS. Like CW, PBS has only SD DNS offered.

Is PBS HD DNS just not as attractive to viewers as CW HD DNS would be?

I suspect there are fewer people who do not already have their local PBS in HD than there are people who do not even have a local CW or whose local CW does not broadcast in HD.

In my DMA, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS, MyNetworkTV, and Telemundo all are broadcast in HD. Ion might, but I have to rotate my antenna to pick it up, and there is nothing on ION that is worth the effort for me, so I have never checked. All except ION, MyNetworkTV, and Telemundo are in HD on DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2522 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

What happened to ION E HD, I thought that was supposed to be lit up with NGW, BBCA festivus?
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#2523 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

What happened to ION E HD, I thought that was supposed to be lit up with NGW, BBCA festivus?

Word is it is the contract not being finalized for the HD feed yet. We'll see this Wednesday if it is more complicated than that.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2524 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

I could sure use MyNetwork TV in HD in Albany, NY for the Yankees in HD on that one night a week it's on my9/my4.

Probably won't ever happen...

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#2525 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

I could sure use MyNetwork TV in HD in Albany, NY for the Yankees in HD on that one night a week it's on my9/my4.

Kevin

I'm pretty sure that all locals have to be in HD by 2013 or 2014, I forget which. It will happen eventually. Just sucks waiting for so long for them.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2526 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

This thread is turning in to page after page after page of Alan wanting his CW HD. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2527 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

This thread is turning in to page after page after page of Alan wanting his CW HD. :D

Hey I would have been doing the same thing if I didn't have my local CW in HD. It is one of the best channels for original programming and it looks and sounds like crap in SD. I have no problem with him asking for what he wants. I was very passionate about wanting HD for CW in my area for the longest time and was the best festivus of my life when it became available. When I switched to DISH a few years ago like a fool :P they did not have CW in HD and I was so pissed. It took them another 1.5 years to finally add it last January. CW in HD is an absolute must and anywhere it is not offered is just a travesty. :nono:

#2528 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that all locals have to be in HD by 2013 or 2014, I forget which. It will happen eventually. Just sucks waiting for so long for them.

2013. But it is not "all locals have to be in HD". It is "all locals that offer HD should be carried". The "carry one, carry all" principle means that if they carry 1 station in HD, they have to carry all that OFFER it.

They can't make a struggling SD local change their equipment and setup to be HD if they don't want it or cannot yet afford it. Only those who offer it will need to be carried.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2529 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

2013. But it is not "all locals have to be in HD". It is "all locals that offer HD should be carried". The "carry one, carry all" principle means that if they carry 1 station in HD, they have to carry all that OFFER it.

They can't make a struggling SD local change their equipment and setup to be HD if they don't want it or cannot yet afford it. Only those who offer it will need to be carried.

That's basically what I meant and realize what you're saying. Of course a struggling SD channel is not going to be required to have an HD feed. At least not for now until hopefully in the future all streams are only HD and SD is a relic of the past. Long ways away, but I can dream. ;)

#2530 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well, I am out of the CW debate since we have it in hd. I am happy now with what I am getting in hd fro D* and IonE would be a cherry on top since I do like Flashpoint and they are carrying the new, as well as repeats, of this show and it is best in hd.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#2531 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

So, the technical thread has been discussing the potential amount of free HD slots there are left with all the technology being implemented, and the general consensus seems to be about 20 to 25.

Let's assume 20 for a moment.

What do you guys realistically think will happen over the next 2 years to fill that up?

I'm thinking at least HALF of those will be sports. 7 for PAC-12, 2 for TWC LA, 1 for Comcast Houston. (FS New Orleans I think will be part time HD, probably stealing a bit of PPV during games). I'm also hoping for Universal Sports HD, but I don't think that will materialize till next year or so.

The other half.... I think will be a variety of channels, but I do think most of them will be channels accessible to most people. Perhaps a few more basic, perhaps a bit more encore, perhaps an addition to the HD extra pack. What do you guys think?

I am the Stig.

#2532 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

What do you guys think?

I think it had better be more than 20 or we see the reason why the PAC 12 network has not been added. You'd be talking about giving 1/3 of your open resources for the next couple of years to one network.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2533 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Technically, aside from the changes to my signature, I'm not...

I was actually asking for an HD-DNS feed. I wasn't planning on griping about it until right before the new Fall season begins on it the first week of October, and most likely, again when some new mid-season shows premiere early next year. However, while flipping through some channels the other day, I noticed that CW DNS East (WDCW) was apparently experiencing some technical issues as the picture was windowboxed on multiple programs... including a Nationals ball game. It'd take someone who actually receives the channel to verify, but I suspect they're not currently offering HD for some reason, thereby showing up as windowboxed instead of pillar boxed. The HD version would have some issues too, but not as many... hence why I went on my rant.

If I was asking for my local channel, which doesn't start HD until sometime next year, I'd focus more on doing it in the locals thread, as it's a little more on topic there.

Besides, I'm good with moving on...

But I digress... I'll drop the subject until my regularly scheduled gripe before the new Fall season begins the first of October... ;)

Someone change the subject! :D

Sort of the same subject, and this conversation could be moved to the locals forum, though it's national repercussions is a little more on-topic in that it affects everyone instead of a few people who receive DNS feed, or the DNS feeds imported into their DMA, so I'll continue it here... for now.

The problem with that is, at least with some networks (particularly The CW which runs on many stations as an SD sub-channel) is that James Long is under the impression that the station actually has to transmit in HD for the station to be eligible for coverage under that rule. That's good news for my local CW who intends to broadcast HD OTA in addition to CBS, as well as Columbus, GA who is currently broadcasting NBC and The CW in HD, but I question whether many markets will do the two HD channels on a single frequency. So it's not just a question as to when stations will upgrade... as I suspect most of the affiliates will offer HD feeds to the cablecos and satcos and try to get coverage.

~Alan

#2534 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

So, the technical thread has been discussing the potential amount of free HD slots there are left with all the technology being implemented, and the general consensus seems to be about 20 to 25.

Let's assume 20 for a moment.

What do you guys realistically think will happen over the next 2 years to fill that up?

I'm thinking at least HALF of those will be sports. 7 for PAC-12, 2 for TWC LA, 1 for Comcast Houston. (FS New Orleans I think will be part time HD, probably stealing a bit of PPV during games). I'm also hoping for Universal Sports HD, but I don't think that will materialize till next year or so.

The other half.... I think will be a variety of channels, but I do think most of them will be channels accessible to most people. Perhaps a few more basic, perhaps a bit more encore, perhaps an addition to the HD extra pack. What do you guys think?

I think Indieplex and Retroplex may show up...

I agree with TWC LA...

Unless Indieplex and Retroplex are HD Extra Pack, I don't see any channels added there...

Two or four "basic" channels will probably be added prior to D14... I won't go any further than that in my predictions.

I'm not sure what to expect with PAC-12... I'm not sure everybody is going to be happy with it though...

~Alan

#2535 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think it had better be more than 20 or we see the reason why the PAC 12 network has not been added. You'd be talking about giving 1/3 of your open resources for the next couple of years to one network.

Perhaps. But are there more important things to add? PAC-12 would lose customers, while the current selection of basic HD is good enough for customers to stay. I don't see people leaving DirecTV over missing DIY Network or HLN. And the focus, as Mike White has said, is "retaining customers", which is something PAC12 would do.

Looking at it purely from a customer-retention, maximizing profit side.... what channels are most important for DirecTV right now to retain customers and keep in bringing in the money? And with that, does it really matter that 1 group of channels takes over 1/3d of available bandwidth?

What other channels in the coming year or so are important enough for the bottom line?

I am the Stig.

#2536 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Perhaps. But are there more important things to add? PAC-12 would lose customers, while the current selection of basic HD is good enough for customers to stay. I don't see people leaving DirecTV over missing DIY Network or HLN. And the focus, as Mike White has said, is "retaining customers", which is something PAC12 would do.

Looking at it purely from a customer-retention, maximizing profit side.... what channels are most important for DirecTV right now to retain customers and keep in bringing in the money? And with that, does it really matter that 1 group of channels takes over 1/3d of available bandwidth?

What other channels in the coming year or so are important enough for the bottom line?

I think one needs to take regional figures into account.

Yeah, the PAC-12 may be more important in some areas, but in others, it could very well be beat by some of the basics like DIY... that's certainly the case in my area.

One would need to look at the demographics and subscriber information for the areas in order to see the overall picture...

~Alan

#2537 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, the PAC-12 may be more important in some areas, but in others, it could very well be beat by some of the basics like DIY... that's certainly the case in my area.

One would need to look at the demographics and subscriber information for the areas in order to see the overall picture...

~Alan

Well let me rephrase that: We have seen in the past that even though certain BASIC HD was not carried, DirecTV continued to add subscribers. Additionally, from this board I have gathered that MOST people will not switch carriers for a missing basic HD channel.

I think Sports is a different beast. Regardless of the region, (as this would go just as much for SEC or BIG10 conferences) sports teams are in my opinion a much bigger reason why people would switch or would choose a different provider.

Another consideration in this is that people would essentially LOSE all the games they had last season, so this is not something they already had in SD, and may now get in HD, it is something they have essentially already lost, and are hoping to retain by the addition of these new channels.

Give or take, the PAC12 conference has about 50 million people. Sure, that's only 20% of the U.S., maybe not so important to the other 80%. But it does include a few markets where DirecTV is hugely popular, such as Los Angeles and Phoenix.

And I am really not looking at this as a sports fan (I could care less about handegg.... I mean "foot"ball) but looking at this from the investment side. Football is a big money maker for every party involved, including those who carry the channels.

Basic channels already carried in SD, but may be carried in HD.... really don't do anything for the bottom line, especially now that we have reached a list of channels that are "nice to have" but not really "critical" for DirecTV.

I am the Stig.

#2538 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Well let me rephrase that: We have seen in the past that even though certain BASIC HD was not carried, DirecTV continued to add subscribers. Additionally, from this board I have gathered that MOST people will not switch carriers for a missing basic HD channel.

I think Sports is a different beast. Regardless of the region, (as this would go just as much for SEC or BIG10 conferences) sports teams are in my opinion a much bigger reason why people would switch or would choose a different provider.

Another consideration in this is that people would essentially LOSE all the games they had last season, so this is not something they already had in SD, and may now get in HD, it is something they have essentially already lost, and are hoping to retain by the addition of these new channels.

Give or take, the PAC12 conference has about 50 million people. Sure, that's only 20% of the U.S., maybe not so important to the other 80%. But it does include a few markets where DirecTV is hugely popular, such as Los Angeles and Phoenix.

And I am really not looking at this as a sports fan (I could care less about handegg.... I mean "foot"ball) but looking at this from the investment side. Football is a big money maker for every party involved, including those who carry the channels.

Basic channels already carried in SD, but may be carried in HD.... really don't do anything for the bottom line, especially now that we have reached a list of channels that are "nice to have" but not really "critical" for DirecTV.

I agree with you completely on sports... I was not arguing that.

My statement's intent was aimed more toward regional demographics. Yes, L.A. is certainly a big location for DirecTV... (for one thing, many of the folks that are responsible for these decisions live there). I'm not familiar enough with Phoenix, but I'll take your word for it.

I just think that with seven channels that are of more regional interest, you'd dang well better be sure it's worth it.

Besides, Mike White has stated they are not as gung-ho about RSNs as they used to be...

~Alan

#2539 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I doubt that all seven PAC 12 channels will be added in HD. I expect one or two might be, with the rest added in SD only until D14. I have not followed the PAC 12 network development closely enough to know what will be shown on each of the 7 channels, but there is not enough "must watch" sports in the PAC 12 to fill seven channels.

I agree that two slots will go to TWC LA and one to Comcast Houston.

I expect Universal Sports to go HD on May 1, 2013 - the Wednesday before the Giro d'Italia starts on May 4.

That still leaves room for a few more basics, but not for a HD DNS CW or PBS. I expect H2, and DIY will make the cut.

#2540 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Kevin

Do you not get the RSN alternate channel 633-1 near YES that simulcasts the My9 games?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall