Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2561 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

well ion be up in hd this week.

Who knows?

I don't even bother actually tuning to the test feed much any longer to check. Just briefly bring up the QuickTune menu with the ^ arrow key to see if IONEHD has still got the asterisk by it, and it does "*IONEHD"

Sign ... :nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2562 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thinks Ion should change their name to "Reruns R Us". :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#2563 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

How are they different from the several other syndication only channels?
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2564 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

that and edited HEAVILY for a politically correct light PG rated pseudo G rated outcome of content..I mentioned on this thread before their re-runs are edited from what they were in their original run on said networks that ran them.

so keep the tango NOT GOING..they wont be missed

#2565 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I chimed in on your twitter post !! if that was you semi bashing swanni !!:lol:

:heybaby:
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2566 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

:heybaby:

Nah, that wasn't you - the picture on twitter is from a Dutch dude, not The Stig :D

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#2567 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Nah, that wasn't you - the picture on twitter is from a Dutch dude, not The Stig :D

For all we know, The Stig is a Dutch dude :scratch:

#2568 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am anticipating on the edge of my seat for some sort of Pac-12 Network Deal and Launch by August 29th! :jumpingja
I would prefer
1. National Pac-12 for all
2. Pac-12 regional as my RSN, (Go BEAVS!)
3. Rest of Pac-12 available to all for a fee
-----a. HD Package, or
-----b. Sports Tier.

#2569 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

that and edited HEAVILY for a politically correct light PG rated pseudo G rated outcome of content..I mentioned on this thread before their re-runs are edited from what they were in their original run on said networks that ran them.

I suspect they're also HEAVILY edited to insert more commercial inventory not just on Ion but other basic cable channels that shows like NCIS are syndicated on. Remember a couple years ago when channels were airing opening and closing credits dual-screen in order to squeeze out extra time for commercials?

Personally I'd love it if Ion went back to the Pax TV days of 1998-2005 and reran many of the shows from that era that were enjoyable like It's a Miracle, Hope Island, Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye, Doc, Body and Soul, Mysterious Ways, Young Blades, etc. So far I've only come across a best-of boxset of It's a Miracle and it's far from being a complete series.

#2570 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

While disappointed by the content editing, the channel is on my wishlist (technically, it's not as I left it out of my current list due to it being in test, but you get the idea).

So... someone would miss them...

~Alan

#2571 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

For all we know, The Stig is a Dutch dude :scratch:

No comment.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2572 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

While disappointed by the content editing, the channel is on my wishlist (technically, it's not as I left it out of my current list due to it being in test, but you get the idea).

So... someone would miss them...

~Alan

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)...I dont watch it at all...and some new yorkers just lost CW on the cablevision/optimum side with a dispute. Only time I watch is for when those Mets games fall on WPIX i obviously put it on in the bar..otherwise I havent watched my CW/Tribune station since Star Trek TNG/DS9 were 1st run there!! Space 1999 also via re-run..

#2573 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)...I dont watch it at all...and some new yorkers just lost CW on the cablevision/optimum side with a dispute. Only time I watch is for when those Mets games fall on WPIX i obviously put it on in the bar..otherwise I havent watched my CW/Tribune station since Star Trek TNG/DS9 were 1st run there!! Space 1999 also via re-run..

I'd give him mine too. In fact, mine has been used as the SD DNS at times. I haven't watched it since Smallville ended.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2574 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)

Ditto... but I'd still want Ion HD as well. ;)

Considering that between the months of September through May, 85%-90% of my TV viewing is CBS, ABC, The CW, FOX, and NBC...

... and Ion is really only watched during the month of December, you can guess that it's MUCH, MUCH lower on my list when it comes to importance for me, but I'm still glad it is coming.

To each their own... :) Either way... some people will be happy to have it. :)

~Alan

#2575 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Speaking of Ion HD, I'm still getting Ion SD on my phone...

I don't feel very good about tomorrow so far.

~Alan

#2576 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I haven't watched it since Smallville ended.

Me neither. The shows on CW seem to be geared mostly to younger women these days, haven't found much in it that interests me. Smallville was the last show I watched on CW.

The only thing that MAY interest me, depending on how well it is done, is the upcoming "Arrow" show, which actually takes from the same DC Universe as Smallville, where the "Green Arrow" was a recurring character based on the same. So in a sense it is a bit of a spin-off from Smallville, although there will be no connection between the two.

I am the Stig.

#2577 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Me neither. The shows on CW seem to be geared mostly to younger women these days, haven't found much in it that interests me. Smallville was the last show I watched on CW.

... and me! As well as the middle-aged woman I work with I'm trying to get to switch to DirecTV whose first question about their programming lineup was "Does it have The CW? It HAS to have The CW for me."

The mid-season show "Cult" doesn't look like it's aimed at kids, so maybe that will interest you.

Meryl Streep's daughter has her own show this year, and while it looks aimed toward young women, the character's profession and personality sort of reminds me of Zach Braff in "Scrubs", so yeah...

Probably not your style, but "The Carrie Diaries" (prequel to the "Sex And The City" series) will have Freema Agyeman ("Doctor Who") as one of the actresses in the show. ;)

I have seasons six through ten of "Smallville" on Blu-ray that I'll catch up on one day, but the series got boring to me.

The only thing that MAY interest me, depending on how well it is done, is the upcoming "Arrow" show, which actually takes from the same DC Universe as Smallville, where the "Green Arrow" was a recurring character based on the same. So in a sense it is a bit of a spin-off from Smallville, although there will be no connection between the two.

I'm literally ticked at the though of not watching "Arrow" in HD from the beginning.

However, it's not a spin-off of "Smallville" in the least. No more than next year's "The Man Of Steel" is a spin-off of George Reeve's "Superman" TV shows anyway... ;)

Personally, I think it's a shame they don't have three hour blocks of programming. A night with "Supernatural", "Arrow", and "Nikita" back-to-back-to-back would be a great night of action aimed at men for the channel.

DANG IT... you made me bring the channel up again! ;)

:backtotop

When do people think we will get Ion-HD if it's not tomorrow?

~Alan

#2578 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hey I would have been doing the same thing if I didn't have my local CW in HD. It is one of the best channels for original programming and it looks and sounds like crap in SD. I have no problem with him asking for what he wants. I was very passionate about wanting HD for CW in my area for the longest time and was the best festivus of my life when it became available. When I switched to DISH a few years ago like a fool :P they did not have CW in HD and I was so pissed. It took them another 1.5 years to finally add it last January. CW in HD is an absolute must and anywhere it is not offered is just a travesty. :nono:

??? The WB was better.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#2579 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Considering that between the months of September through May, 85%-90% of my TV viewing is CBS, ABC, The CW, FOX, and NBC...

~Alan

We could not be farther apart in our viewing habits. From September through May I watch CBS for 2 hours per week (not counting the SEC football or basketball game and the NCAA baketball tournament), and Fox for one hour per week. I used to watch one hour per week on ABC, but that series was cancelled at the end of last season, and I used to watch FOX for two hours per week, but one of those series was cancelled. I cannot rememember when I last watched a program regularly on NBC. It might have been the first season of JAG before NBC dropped it and it was picked up by CBS. There were a few programs I used to watch on WB, but those were cancelled at the end of the first year that the CW was on the air.

May and August are split between Universal Sports (il Giro d'Italia and la Vuelta a Espna) and NBC Sports Network (Tour of California and US Pro Cycling Tour), July is exclusively NBC Sports Network (le Tour de France). March is CBS (NCAA Basketball Tournament)

Almost all of the original series I watch anymore are on USA or TNT. There were a lot of old series on BBCA that I used to watch, but they have all been cancelled. The only British original series I watch anymore is shown in the US on SyFy, and the only "reality" shows I watch are on Food Network, HGTV, or DIY. I guess that puts DIY second on my list for HD wants (right after Universal Sports).

#2580 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Speaking of Ion HD, I'm still getting Ion SD on my phone...

I don't feel very good about tomorrow so far.

~Alan

May not mean much. The SDs of BBCA, etc, came back two days before launch on my iPhone. Either it is timing of when they put the data in or get fixed the bug, which would be a bummer.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall