Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2581 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

??? The WB was better.

didn't matter how much the frog sang. I still wasn't interested.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2582 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

We could not be farther apart in our viewing habits.

Everybody has different tastes...

I know some people who only watch sports and news, I know some who only watch documentaries and the assorted scripted program, and I know some who only watch reality programming and game shows.

I stopped watching sports regularly 12-13 years ago when I quit following the Braves, so aside from possibly leaving a UGA Bulldogs game or even a Tennessee Titans game on in the background, I don't watch them.

I do enjoy some of the competition reality shows... particularly singing... which I hate as there are so many of them now and take up too much time, but I get very involved... particularly so when a local boy won "American Idol" this past season (I even got to be a blob on national TV during a local segment).

I enjoy a good documentary from time to time, but I don't really watch anything regularly since a show on NGC years ago was cancelled...

For me though, it's all about SCRIPTED programming, and a good percentage of my Series Links are network programming, so those network channels are the most important to me personally.

As a lark, I decided to make a list of the channels most important to me, and seperate them in two sections... one being channels that are important to me year round, and the other, channels that I only watch for short periods of time a year.

MY CHANNEL LIST
CLASSIFICATION|CHANNEL
BROADCAST|CBS, ABC*, FOX, The CW, NBC
CABLE|USA Network, Syfy, TNT, ABC Family, AMC, BBC America, Hallmark, Hallmark Movie Channel, TV Land, HGTV, DIY, Food Network, Cooking Channel

RED denotes that I can only receive the channel in SD.
BLUE denotes that while I receive it in SD, I can receive the channel in HD via alternate means.

MY SEASONAL CHANNEL LIST
MONTHS|CLASSIFICATION|CHANNEL|# OF PROGRAMS
Varies|BROADCAST|PBS|Varies
Summer|CABLE|A&E|2
Varies|CABLE|Cartoon Network|3
Varies|CABLE|Disney XD|2
Varies|CABLE|Cartoon Network|3
Variouss|CABLE|Comedy Central|1
Various|CABLE|FX|3
December|CABLE|Ion|?????
Summer/December|CABLE|Lifetime|1 Summer, varies December
December|CABLE|Lifetime Movie Network|varies
Summer?|CABLE|MTV|2

RED denotes that I can only receive the channel in SD.

I did not count channels like TCM-HD, Science, Palladia, HDNet Movies, or a few others that I might tune to from time to time, or even The Weather Channel (that is almost constantly on at my house in between viewing recordings) given that I do not have any Series Links or anything particular that I follow on those channels.

I listed a couple of channels (Disney XD and Cartoon Network) as they air some comic based cartoons, and since I grew up on comics, I like to have them playing on the TV while I'm using my iPad sometimes. I would have put "The Hub" on the list as I also grew up on "G.I. Joe", but I'm not sure if the recent "G.I. Joe: Renegades" series has been cancelled or not, so it got cut from the list. If push came to shove, I could potentially do without these channels and a couple of the other ones on the "seasonal" list.

~Alan

#2583 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

May not mean much. The SDs of BBCA, etc, came back two days before launch on my iPhone. Either it is timing of when they put the data in or get fixed the bug, which would be a bummer.

I don't remember BBCA reappearing on my phone or iPAD. :confused:

Just ION...

~Alan

#2584 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't remember BBCA reappearing on my phone or iPAD. :confused:

Just ION...

~Alan

I saw BBCA there last Tuesday. Thought maybe the HD arrived early but it didn't.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2585 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

As a lark, I decided to make a list of the channels most important to me, and seperate them in two sections... one being channels that are important to me year round, and the other, channels that I only watch for short periods of time a year.

~Alan

You are taking this thing WAY too seriously. :D :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2586 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I saw BBCA there last Tuesday. Thought maybe the HD arrived early but it didn't.

Yeah here too, on Tuesday the ION SD returned (as in, no more HD so no need to hide the duplicate SD), and the BBCAHD and NGWHD were there.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2587 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

You are taking this thing WAY too seriously. :D :D

Nope... just a slow day. :D

Yeah here too, on Tuesday the ION SD returned (as in, no more HD so no need to hide the duplicate SD), and the BBCAHD and NGWHD were there.

I only remember ION returning... oh well, I'm not in any hurry for it anyway. December is a ways off! :)

~Alan

#2588 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)...I dont watch it at all...and some new yorkers just lost CW on the cablevision/optimum side with a dispute. Only time I watch is for when those Mets games fall on WPIX i obviously put it on in the bar..otherwise I havent watched my CW/Tribune station since Star Trek TNG/DS9 were 1st run there!! Space 1999 also via re-run..

I'd give him mine too. In fact, mine has been used as the SD DNS at times. I haven't watched it since Smallville ended.

No you can have mine. It's actually on 2 stations, each with their own transmitter (WBSF-DT1 and WEYI-DT2). They only carry CW in HD during primetime though. But if you want the full slate, you can have WKBD too. :)

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#2589 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

No you can have mine. It's actually on 2 stations, each with their own transmitter (WBSF-DT1 and WEYI-DT2). They only carry CW in HD during primetime though. But if you want the full slate, you can have WKBD too. :)

Alan can pretty much have mine as well, KTLA-DT 5;

Save for one CW show, "Hart of Dixie" that I enjoy. But probably won't make it for next season.

Just leave me Antenna TV on 5-2. :)

#2590 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,057 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

He can have mine (KSTW, the only O&O in Seattle), which is the only channel here with no subchannels, so it gets the full bandwidth. I didn't even watch Smallville that much.

#2591 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I get the point folks...

Can we please move on to another channel so that we're off the topic before I complain again in October?! :D Thanks!

I noticed DirecTV added BBCA right before they experienced their best ratings EVER. That was a GOOD addition...

I don't think we can expect that with ION, but I hope DirecTV makes more smart additions in the future. :)

~Alan

#2592 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Isn't it time to start getting obsessive/compulsive about H2-HD?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#2593 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I already am!!

#2594 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

3...2...1.... GO! :D

I am the Stig.

#2595 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've been obsessing for H2 for a while, science geek here and that's where all of History channels good shows went, I would have rather had that than BBCA, all I watch on BBCA is reruns of STNG.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#2596 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,097 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thinking that the only series that I've ever watched on the CW was Nikita, and that only lasted a few episodes into season-2 when I lost interest and needed to cut down (not enough hours in the day to watch!).

And of course re-runs of Seinfeld!

Edited by Sixto, 21 August 2012 - 07:15 PM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#2597 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,097 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Speaking of networks ...

I have 35 series links, 34 of 35 in HD.

CBS-HD: 9
NBC-HD: 5
FOX-HD: 1
ABC-HD: 1
Syfy-HD: 3
USA-HD: 4
HBO-HD: 3
SNY-HD: 3
SHO-HD: 1
TNT-HD: 1
STYL: 1
YES-HD: 1
TBS-HD: 1
MSG-HD: 1

Other family members have another 40-50 on their DVR, totally different, maybe 3-4 shows over lap.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#2598 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Does anyone else here watch the Outdoor channel besides me?

#2599 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Does anyone else here watch the Outdoor channel besides me?

I will occasionally check out a show or two on it.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#2600 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thinking that the only series that I've ever watched on the CW was Nikita, and that only lasted a few episodes into season-2 when I lost interest and needed to cut down (not enough hours in the day to watch!).

And of course re-runs of Seinfeld!

I watch nikita and supernatural on the cw but since my local cw is not in hd i watch them on hulu plus in hd
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...