Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2621 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

Can we please get this station in black and white SD until those folks are off the air? :D

I've seen silent films on TCM SD that look better than the local newscasts on WBSF and sister station WEYI. No joke.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2622 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

OK... I decided to have some fun with the Series Links counts myself.

MY BROADCAST SERIES LINKS

NETWORK|# OF SERIES LINKS|# OF FALL ADDITIONS|TOTAL
CBS|12|2|14|
ABC|11|4|15|[/COLOR]
FOX|9|2|11
The CW |4|3|7
NBC|9|2|11

TOTAL #: 58
RED denotes that I can only receive the channel in SD.
BLUE denotes that while I receive it in SD, I can receive the channel in HD via alternate means.

One might question why I have NBC lower on the chart than The CW when NBC has more Series Links set up. Poor NBC, the numbers above look much bigger than they actually are as I padded them some with a couple of SL's I'm soon to delete, a couple that are there, but rarely watched, and my local news which is not a network program and is simulcasted on my local ABC which could easily have the Series Link set up for it except for the fact that DirecTV only provides it in SD at the time.

Also, I suspect I will be pruning some series I currently have set up from CBS, ABC, and FOX at some point this Fall. I just haven't made up my mind which ones, so I just left the numbers as they stand now, plus the additional ones.

MY CABLE NETWORK SERIES LINKS
NETWORK|# OF SERIES LINKS
USA|9
ABC FAMILY|6
SYFY|6
TNT|5
TV LAND|4
BBCA|4
AMC|4
FX|4
TOON/ADULT SWIM|4
MTV|3
DISNEY XD|3
A&E|2
AXS TV|2
LIFETIME|1
COMEDYCENTRAL|1
FOOD NETWORK|1
THE HUB|1
DISNEY|1

TOTAL #: 61
RED denotes that I can only receive the channel in SD.

A few of these will be pruned as well... either due to unknown status (will they be coming back? I've never seen an answer yet...) or just lack of interest. A few programs like "Nothing But Trailers" on AXS TV is something I record and occasionally skim through, and several of the other programs are something I might have on in the background...

BBCA is lower on the list than it probably should be as more SLs will be set up for that now that it's in HD.

~Alan

When do you actually have time to watch all of those :rolleyes: It is difficult enough for me to find time to watch the measly 24 series I record. On the plus side, 91% of what you record (108 out of 119) is already in HD.

#2623 OFFLINE   James Anthony

James Anthony

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Isn't it time to start getting obsessive/compulsive about H2-HD?

I'm with you on this one! Would like discovery ID also!

#2624 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

When do you actually have time to watch all of those :rolleyes: It is difficult enough for me to find time to watch the measly 24 series I record. On the plus side, 91% of what you record (108 out of 119) is already in HD.

I'm often SO behind on my television watching.... I only watched Copper last night. It is not uncommon that I watch a show a few weeks after it has aired because I can't find the time to watch them. My wife doesn't like the type of shows I watch, so I usually end up watching them in my "mancave" (more a office with mancave capabilities), some time after 10PM or so.

Sometimes I am forced to watch television because my DVR is 95% full. :D :D - Just to clear up weeks and weeks of piled up recordings.

I like television, but thank God I am not married to it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2625 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm often SO behind on my television watching.... I only watched Copper last night. It is not uncommon that I watch a show a few weeks after it has aired because I can't find the time to watch them. My wife doesn't like the type of shows I watch, so I usually end up watching them in my "mancave" (more a office with mancave capabilities), some time after 10PM or so.

Sometimes I am forced to watch television because my DVR is 95% full. :D :D - Just to clear up weeks and weeks of piled up recordings.

I like television, but thank God I am not married to it.

I'm almost 100% caught up. Two days home sick will do that for you. When I wasn't sleeping, I was watching tv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2626 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

When do you actually have time to watch all of those :rolleyes: It is difficult enough for me to find time to watch the measly 24 series I record.

Well... I have some old injuries that act up from time to time, and I've managed to find a part-time job that works around those for me... the bad side being that the hours aren't many, what I do have suck (I worked a 19 hour day at one point last week) and of course the pay sucks. If I could get something better, I'd probably live somewhere else and you probably wouldn't hear me griping about CW HD-DNS. ;)

There's also the fact that I live in the boonies, and there's not a whole lot to do around here... at least that interests me, is easy, or financially doable for me to participate in.... so, to put it lightly, I have more free time on my hands than I wish I had.

It's also not just that though. As I stated earlier, the chart makes it look like it's more than it is.

Many of the programs are cyclical. For instance, A&E has two shows listed... which are "The Glades" and "Longmire." Both programs ended their seasons the Sunday before last and won't return until next Summer. Multiple other Series Links listed with the same situation.

Several of the programs statuses is unknown. The Hub and Food Network's only Series Links feature shows which I don't know (at this time) will return or not.

Both of the recordings listed on AXS TV are programs that I fast forward through and watch parts of or not it all, and I don't do that with every episode. Ditto for a couple of programs listed on NBC. There are several programs I listen to and sort of watch while I'm doing other things.

Some programs get stockpiled. During hiatuses or reruns, etc., I catch up on the stockpiled stuff.

It doesn't look as much as it looks like, and I want to actually prune it some, but I'm going to have to take a look at it in a few months from now and figure it out.

On the plus side, 91% of what you record (108 out of 119) is already in HD.

I know, right?! :D

Yes, the addition of AMC-HD last year and BBCA this month really helped greatly! :)

As I stated in previous posts, the only channels watched regularly I'm missing in HD are CW-HD, TV Land HD, DIY-HD, and Cooking Channel HD. Those four are really the only ones I'm TRULY itching for... even though I'm hoping for ION HD (potentially coming soon) and LMN. Then everything else is cherry on top... :)

~Alan

#2627 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I forgot about "The Glades". That is one more series I record, and the only one that is on A&E. I could not get into Longmire. My wife watches it from time to time, but she is not interested in it enough to bother to record it.

We noticed last night that ION now has Leverage in rerun, but we watch (and record) the first run episodes on TNT.

#2628 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I want ESPN Deportes in HD now (at least on 119).. I thought I was watching El Clasico with my glasses off.

#2629 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ready for ION E HD to go live. Looks like NBC Sports Net moves to 220 "soon".
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#2630 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

We noticed last night that ION now has Leverage in rerun, but we watch (and record) the first run episodes on TNT.

Yep... I record them on TNT as well...

1080i vs. 720p
Dolby Digital vs. Dolby Stereo
No editing...

It's definitely the way to go...

~Alan

#2631 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ready for ION E HD to go live. Looks like NBC Sports Net moves to 220 "soon".

Any word on this, as of yet???

Edited by PrinceLH, 23 August 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#2632 ONLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

IONHD when?

#2633 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

IONHD when?

Soon.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2634 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

:scratchin:scratchin:scratchin

as much as I want Ion myself...they run infomercials most of the mornings early afternoons..leaving a small bracket of 720p HD re-runs at best..

wonder if this is the sticking point..?? how can you justify what you're asking for ....if only x amount of time is available??

did the bean counters at D* realize this and maybe tango'ing with someone else?? for another festivus rollout?? who knows....whos knows??

Prior to the BBCA/NGW HD roll-out i forgot Ion was up on that channel...If it doesn't come in the form of my LIL (which NYC has WPXN-UHF channel 31) I could care less about channel 305..

#2635 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

If it doesn't come in the form of my LIL (which NYC has WPXN-UHF channel 31) I could care less about channel 305..

But you seem to forget that there are different infomercials on 305 compared to you LIL ION (at least they are different in my DMA) :lol: We definitely need more variety in HD informercials

#2636 OFFLINE   southmtn

southmtn

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Where is my PAC-12 Network.. games are less then a week away. I've had DirectTV since 07 and I cant believe the Cox cable has it and we dont. Hope I dont have to go to my friends house to watch the game and have to listen to them all night - wow DirectTV doesnt have it....

I was hoping to be able to watch all the PAC 12 games but that is less then a week away - Please get PAC-12 Network so I dont have to go watch it on cable somewhere eles

#2637 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Where is my PAC-12 Network.. games are less then a week away.

FOOTBALL games are less then a week away. Soccer has already started, but who cares, right? :D

Anyways, we have a running topic on PAC12: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205113

I am the Stig.

#2638 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

[quote name='maartena']FOOTBALL games are less then a week away. Soccer has already started, but who cares, right? :D

I and lot of people care about Real FOOTBALL (Soccer):D

#2639 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

[quote name='revm1m'][quote name='maartena']FOOTBALL games are less then a week away. Soccer has already started, but who cares, right? :D

I and lot of people care about Real FOOTBALL (Soccer):D[/QUOTE]

And they have FSC, Gol, beIN *and* the extra soccer channels in the 400s plus ESPN coverage.

I know, you mean PAC 12 soccer, but how much of that was on prior to the PAC 12 Network?

Real *football* (not futbol, or toe-round, as I am going to like to call it), was already available and losing something you already had is more immediate to customers than something they never really had. Nor much care about. Soccer has a limited but growing fandom in the USA. College soccer is less.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2640 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I know, you mean PAC 12 soccer, but how much of that was on prior to the PAC 12 Network?

There was some UCLA/USC soccer on the local FS RSN's. Not an awful lot, and I didn't watch that much of it as they were mostly replays, and usually on times I couldn't watch due to work.

What I have been crying about for about 10 years is really field hockey. USC does not have a very impressive program (it is barely surviving), so we never saw any of that. Occasionally there was 1 game of the U.S. team on Universal Sports, and that was about it. Olympics was about the only time I get to see a game. But Stanford has an impressive team and would like to see them play.

This is why I am a bit more interested in PAC12 being launched already. That, and some of the track and field competitions.

But hey, I was born in a country that ranks #1 in Olympic Medals in field hockey, and #2 in Gold medals, after India.

Edited by maartena, 24 August 2012 - 12:36 PM.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...