Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3401 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Ion is HD on most of its local channels. I've seen it. Also those with HR34s have seen it on directv. I think you are missing it.

Here in S.A., Ion does have an HD feed carried by TW but not by D*. D* did, however, add another local channel. I went looking and there it was. My wife sometimes watches that channel. I also didnt see the national ION channels E or W, in HD.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3402 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Here in S.A., Ion does have an HD feed carried by TW but not by D*. D* did, however, add another local channel. I went looking and there it was. My wife sometimes watches that channel. I also didnt see the national ION channels E or W, in HD.

With my am21 ota box I am watching the local ION channel in HD. I have removed Directv local, east and west ion channels from my favorites list. I do know that some of you may not have ION available as a local.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#3403 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,043 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Actually....yes it is.

Then my apologies... but I found that message got buried after that one statement.

Channel launches and availability are financial decisions above all else - no surprise there as almost everyone understands losing money on providing a service is not a prudent business practice.

Agreed... but there is also the fact that DirecTV wants to position themselves as a "premium" product. In 10+ years from now, DirecTV still exists with a bunch of SD channels in their programming lineup, I believe that DirecTV will have to come up with something else to position themselves as... because I see other providers promoting the heck out of the fact that DirecTV is still carrying a bunch of SD feeds.

I suspect that based on the growing content provider costs each year...we'll get to the point that different "channel packages" will be offered. As an alternative to ala carte selections, they would be logical packages which could somehow be "bundled" - a subset of what we have now if you will...

Regardless...the current channel cost vs. revenue delivery models seem to challenge cable, DirecTV, and Dish all the time - ergo the temp channel disputes we regularly see. Somethings gotta change...they can't just keep raising prices past the tipping point.

We have both agreed that theme packages may very well be the future. However, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding the future of HD carriage on DirecTV.

~Alan

#3404 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Then my apologies... but I found that message got buried after that one statement.

Agreed... but there is also the fact that DirecTV wants to position themselves as a "premium" product. In 10+ years from now, DirecTV still exists with a bunch of SD channels in their programming lineup, I believe that DirecTV will have to come up with something else to position themselves as... because I see other providers promoting the heck out of the fact that DirecTV is still carrying a bunch of SD feeds.

We have both agreed that theme packages may very well be the future. However, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding the future of HD carriage on DirecTV.

~Alan

10+ years from now??

Directv is makeing more moves to get rid of SD then most cable systems.

Some of the premium movies added channels are HD only. Hotpass and other stuff is HD only.

Cable systems still have loads of old SD boxes and old MPEG 2 only HD boxes.

Comcast has been dropping added premium movies channels HD, added goal line SD only, pac12 out market SD only. Still does not have the big ten ALT hd feeds. Still has very limited out of market sports HD
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3405 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,043 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

10+ years from now??

With the economy being a big question mark, I believe that the day when HD becomes the status quo (I believe DirecTV will get there prior to others) is currently hazy, so I left it kind of vague.

Some of the premium movies added channels are HD only. Hotpass and other stuff is HD only.

Comcast has been dropping added premium movies channels HD, added goal line SD only, pac12 out market SD only. Still does not have the big ten ALT hd feeds. Still has very limited out of market sports HD

Agreed...

I am not putting down DirecTV. I'm saying that I don't expect them to roll over and give up... I believe they are going to be smart about it.

~Alan

#3406 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Is there any new shows premiering on ION or new episodes of anything coming? since that is when they like to add HD (BBC America for their new show premier) or negotiations ongoing?

#3407 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

When do they show DIY HD, is it possibly this week?

#3408 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

If they do what they normally do, it should be live at 6:00 AM ET on Wednesday.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3409 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,362 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

No worries.

There are so many factors (mostly economic) that come into play on the topic of how HD will roll out, expand, change in the future, that having more than one perspective is quite expected.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3410 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

10+ years from now??

Time Warner NYC has already started that...the local CBS affiliate in SD on an HD box is gone...As well are the other locals, and some basic channels as well.

HD Channels on TWC's BOX are in the 700 channel range...701,702,703 etc etc..

Lately they've taken a page from D*'s book --> in that you type the channel say just type 2 on the remote for our NY CBS affiliate and it takes you direct to the HD feed and no SD channel can be typed anymore...Even if you went to the guide and went to the SD location pressed it from there it'll still re-route you to HD channel.

TWC hasn't wiped out SD channels. In the bar where I work, we have some TV's there without a box and the coax line plugged in straight to it...(not much is available, a lot of it is scrambled) but all the local TV stations there are open unscrambled in SD and HD...but SD signals are gone from HD Top Boxes (both DVR & NON DVR) channel lineups in NYC...

Edited by Santi360HD, 17 September 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#3411 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Often, the 'go live' date for a new HD channel on D* is approx. 7~10 days after it goes into TEST mode assuming everything runs properly. When it does go live, you'll see a posting about it here in DBStalk.

I would really like to see H2 HD added on D* since History is moving a lot of shows to H2 this fall. Everyone else (Comcrap, E*, etc.) carries H2 HD but not D*. I posted a question on D*'s FB page asking, and my post was immediately removed by D*. I guess D* doesn't like customers asking questions about channels that D* doesn't carry.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3412 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Wonder if it will be a pair this week. Maybe Ion finally goes live.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3413 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Wonder if it will be a pair this week. Maybe Ion finally goes live.

anyone with Android or Iphone apps see ION missing from the list?

#3414 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Nope. Both ION and ION W are still there in SD glory.

image-3987117609.jpg

image-1313735492.jpg
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#3415 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Still see ION E in "my channel list" on the iPhone app, but like others have said DIY is gone.
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#3416 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

ION still shows up on my android and iPad apps.

#3417 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Don't put too much on that. BBCA went off and came back on before launch. So did Disney Jr. Ion went off back then too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3418 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Don't put too much on that. BBCA went off and came back on before launch. So did Disney Jr. Ion went off back then too.

Granted, but for there not to be even a hiccup of it missing from those online apps respectively..ISNT GOOD NEWS!!
These anticipation boards are loaded with posts from many saying hey its gone..hey it just disappeared...

since none of that is a foot..NOT GOOD !

#3419 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,362 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Granted, but for there not to be even a hiccup of it missing from those online apps respectively..ISNT GOOD NEWS!!
These anticipation boards are loaded with posts from many saying hey its gone..hey it just disappeared...

since none of that is a foot..NOT GOOD !

It depends what drives the specific channels to appear in the first place - could have been the test channel not available to the public prior to main launch. I don't think there is anything to "worry" about at this point.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3420 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

It depends what drives the specific channels to appear in the first place - could have been the test channel not available to the public prior to main launch. I don't think there is anything to "worry" about at this point.

ION can hang ten and p$$ in the wind for all I care
DIY is upon us!!! WOO HOO!!!....ION?? click...dial tone.......

#3421 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them .D got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the D business. I want more hd channels that why i got three hd tv so i can tv in hd.D is not the hd leading right now they falling behind and got to catch up.I'M happy with D but thet got to add more basic hd channels.Some want this channel or that channels in hd i want all channels in hd.

Edited by larry55, 17 September 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#3422 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,267 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them tthey got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the peoples want.They can't sit back and not add hd channels.we got one or two on this forms thinks they know everthing about direc business.

What? :confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3423 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

I just saw this in the LA Times, looking for more coverage on Stanford's glorious win on USC on Saturday night. I guess it was in Sunday's paper.

PALO ALTO — Larry Scott, the Pac-12 commissioner, said Saturday that talks to carry the Pac-12 Networks on DirecTV were not progressing, meaning many fans in Los Angeles could be unable to watch the USC-California game next Saturday.

"We're not close," Scott said at halftime of USC's 21-14 loss to Stanford at Stanford Stadium. "Hopefully DirecTV will listen to their customers and our fans."

DirecTV is the only one of the Southland's five biggest television services to not yet sign up with the Pac-12 Networks. DirecTV has also not yet signed up Time Warner Cable, which will broadcast the Lakers games beginning this season.

"From what they've said publicly, they don't believe their fans need it, or want it, or that we're making a fair offer," Scott said. "But as important as DirecTV is in Southern California, I'd be shocked if something didn't happen."

On Saturday, the fledgling Pac-12 Networks showed three games featuring top 25 teams, and DirecTV subscribers missed all three.

Did I mention that Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row? I don't think I did. In case anybody wants to know, Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row. :P
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3424 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them .D got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the D business. I want more hd channels that why i got three hd tv so i can tv in hd.D is not the hd leading right now they falling behind and got to catch up.I'M happy with D but thet got to add more basic hd channels.Some want this channel or that channels in hd i want all channels in hd.

Okay.... I realize you may be on an iPhone or Android or something.... but even on those devices you CAN actually type full sentences and type something that makes sense. I had to read the above three times just to grasp what you were actually saying.

I can't say I am a perfect writer, especially considering English is my second language. But come on.... proper communication in English is becoming a lost art these days.

Okay, [/rant] off. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3425 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just saw this in the LA Times, looking for more coverage on Stanford's glorious win on USC on Saturday night. I guess it was in Sunday's paper.

Did I mention that Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row? I don't think I did. In case anybody wants to know, Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row. :P

Yeah... I think PAC12 is slowly starting to realize that DirecTV's walls aren't crumbling any time soon, and it is up to them to give DirecTV a better deal.

Dish and Cable might have paid X, but that doesn't mean anything. If my neighbor pays $20k for a car, and I manage to squeeze the price down to $19k for the exact same car, I may not have gotten the same deal as my neighbor, but I got a BETTER deal.

PAC12 should realize that if you want to make a sale, sometimes you have to lower the price, even if others have already paid a higher price. How much is the PAC12 network still worth after next weekend's games? No deal this week may mean the value of the network will drop like a rock without any meaningful games only exclusively on PAC12. (That said, I have not examined the schedules).

If a deal comes, it is PAC12 who will have to budge first and come up with a better offer.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...