Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2781 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Seeing some google news that D* is in a channel dispute again with some local stations could see the chopping block on the 1st...anyone else??

Fox 6 in Milwaukee
CBS in Virginia WTVR
WQAD an all news station in Iowa & Illinois
Fox 13 Salt Lake Utah
FOX St Louis KTVI
KFSM Arizona CBS
FOX 4 Kansas City
WNEP All News Station Scranton Wilkes Barre
FOX 31 Denver
FOX 8 Cleveland
FOX 8 Greensboro,NC
All NEWS Huntsville Alabama WHNT

??

Edited by Santi360HD, 30 August 2012 - 07:23 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2782 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

So with ION now apparently fading in the dust..I ask to the lords of the site here 2 questions..since im a newbie that came here on accident in 2008**

-Has there ever been a channel that Sixto found in test and that never came aboard?

-Did D* ever make an official announcement (either print or website tout) about a channel they never added prior to ION? Ive only had D* since 2005 when the Fantasy Football brethren PLEADED me to add it in my bar for the NFL Network..I then added it into my home as well running side by side with Time Warner..

**i discovered this site in 2008 when I did a google search on where to find juiced up xbox360 saves..I've loved being here ever since!!

chiller HD (still yet to be launched on any system) mtv2 HD (launched this year late by like 3-4 years and still not on directv)
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2783 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm not sure I'd give up on ION yet. Obviously DirecTV thought it was in the bag when they put it in test. There had to be some last minute contract dispute that stopped its introduction. Right now we're just in the middle of a game of chicken between DirecTV and the ION Media Networks. History tells us that soon somebody will swerve.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2784 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Jeez, thanks, Tony. I get it now.

I should only anticipate those channels which have a high enough priority that they might make it on DirecTV in HD. I shouldn't express myself and want HD channels that aren't likely to air. I might suffer some disappointments in life and I certainly don't want that to happen.

It makes so much sense when you say it that way.

:rolleyes:

Yes Carl apparently any new HD additions are a priority or are worthwhile additions to Directv if they are on Tony's list. I hope you're not disappointed. LOL!
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#2785 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure I'd give up on ION yet. Obviously DirecTV thought it was in the bag when they put it in test. There had to be some last minute contract dispute that stopped its introduction. Right now we're just in the middle of a game of chicken between DirecTV and the ION Media Networks. History tells us that soon somebody will swerve.

There are quite a few games of chicken going on right now it seems....PAC12, the Local LLC dispute, ION..... next up is TWC Sportsnet.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2786 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yes Carl apparently any new HD additions are a priority or are worthwhile additions to Directv if they are on Tony's list. I hope you're not disappointed. LOL!

Another one missing my point. It is not MY list. I'm talking about realities not my personal preferences.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2787 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Another one missing my point. It is not MY list. I'm talking about realities not my personal preferences.

Tony, that tugging you're feeling is your leg being pulled. :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#2788 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

OWN HD
DIY HD
H2 HD

That is my top 3 right now.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2789 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

OWN HD
DIY HD
H2 HD

That is my top 3 right now.

Would like to see:

H2 HD
HLN HD
LMN HD
FMC HD
TVLAND HD
COOKING CHANNEL HD
DIY HD

#2790 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

There are no official viewing figures for C-SPAN because the network, which carries no commercials or underwriting spots, does not use the Nielsen ratings,[36] however there have been a number of surveys providing estimated figures. A 1994 survey found that 8.6% of the U.S. population regularly watched C-SPAN.[36] Ten years later this figure had increased to 12% of the U.S. population, according to a Pew Research Center survey, while 31% of the population was categorized as occasional viewers.[10] As of 2004, over 28 million people said they watched C-SPAN programming each week.[11] A March 2009 Hart Research survey found that 20 percent of homes with cable TV watch C-SPAN at least once a week, for an estimated 39 million Americans. More than 7,000 callers had taken part in discussion on Washington Journal as of March 18, 2009.[93] The C-SPAN networks are available in over 100 million households as of 2010, not including access to the C-SPAN websites.[32][92] The results of a poll conducted by C-SPAN and Penn Schoen Berland estimates that 79 million adults in the U.S. watched C-SPAN at some point from 2009 to 2010.[94]

That looks like a well-watched cable channel to me.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2791 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

That looks like a well-watched cable channel to me.

I guess that's why the CSpan's are in HD on my local cable co.

Me personally, I would rather have DIY, fuse, style, We, oxygen, cooking, H2, ID, HLN and LMN in HD. Then I don't think we'd have to watch SD ever again. Well, until my first kid is born in November... We will be stuck with sprout and a few other kids channels in SD.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#2792 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

I guess that's why the CSpan's are in HD on my local cable co.

Me personally, I would rather have DIY, fuse, style, We, oxygen, cooking, H2, ID, HLN and LMN in HD. Then I don't think we'd have to watch SD ever again. Well, until my first kid is born in November... We will be stuck with sprout and a few other kids channels in SD.

Oh, it's a bit down my priority list too (after DIY, H2, FMC, TV Land). . . but it is on my list. So is NASATV HD.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2793 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

1) H2 (#1 choice by far)
2) Cooking Channel
3) Boomerang (not sure if HD feed exists)
4) TVland
5) DIY
6) HLN
7) everything else so I dont have to see SD channels!

#2794 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I still also wonder, when Ion is going to be brought into the HD realm. Still trying to convince Directv to add MeTV, or AntennaTV. When I call them, I always mention it and have also submitted the same, on their website. TVLand has become more like a wasteland, so it would be nice to start seeing some of those 60's and 70's programs, that many of the people over 40 still enjoy. Still would like to see some of the Encore channels in HD, as well.

Hope you get MeTV soon. Directv added it in the Seattle area a month or two ago.

#2795 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hope you get MeTV soon. Directv added it in the Seattle area a month or two ago.

MeTV additions highly depend on cooperation of the local station that subs it over the airways.... It's not a negotiation with MeTV really, but with the stations that transmit MeTV.

At least, that is how I understood it. It would seem though DirecTV has been adding MeTV in many markets. It is, however, SD only. Not really a big deal as they don't have any HD programming anyways. :D

I am the Stig.

#2796 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Here's how I stand on the C-SPAN situation.

Personally, I have only seen C-SPAN once, and that will last me a lifetime. It was related to the DTV transition. HD could not have enhanced my viewing that day. Having the channel in MPEG4 SD could not have enhanced my viewing that day. It could have been YouTube quality and it would have worked fine for me.

Everybody has different tastes. Some people think that TCM-HD was a waste of bandwidth given that they either dislike old movies or they feel that TCM's lack of true HD content made it unworthy of being added. Others think my #2 most wanted channel now (TV Land HD) would be a waste of bandwidth given that they MOSTLY show older series. Not to mention that my #1 most wanted channel (CW HD-DNS) is probably discounted by most people since they probably have a CW feed included in their locals, and never watch it. I feel that EVERYBODY has a right to like and anticipate their channel... regardless of whether or not anybody feels it's a justified addition. I also feel that if a channel is one that DirecTV carries in SD, it should be deserving of an HD feed... (well, I can think of a couple of possible exceptions, but C-SPAN is not one of them).

That being said, I too would find C-SPAN to be a confusing addition. Given the limited bandwidth, and the fact that DirecTV is missing a great deal of channels whose programming would more greatly benefit from the upgrade to HD. This is not a personal preference thing either as I have very little to no interest in sports, but I feel that the content is greatly enhanced by the quality of the picture.

Regardless of what others think, we must continue to ANTICIPATE our favorites... to cable with what everyone else thinks! :D

~Alan

#2797 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Me personally, I would rather have DIY, fuse, style, We, oxygen, cooking, H2, ID, HLN and LMN in HD.

While none of my business, can you actually watch ten more channels on top of what you have now? I agree that'd be good to get those channels in HD, but I don't/won't have time to watch them, and I am retired!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2798 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

While none of my business, can you actually watch ten more channels on top of what you have now? I agree that'd be good to get those channels in HD, but I don't/won't have time to watch them, and I am retired!

It's not about how many channels one has, it's about how many channels one has that one wants... :D

~Alan

#2799 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

MeTV additions highly depend on cooperation of the local station that subs it over the airways.... It's not a negotiation with MeTV really, but with the stations that transmit MeTV.

At least, that is how I understood it. It would seem though DirecTV has been adding MeTV in many markets. It is, however, SD only. Not really a big deal as they don't have any HD programming anyways. :D

Even though MeTV is SD, I find the picture quality quite good.

#2800 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here's how I stand on the C-SPAN situation.

Personally, I have only seen C-SPAN once, and that will last me a lifetime. It was related to the DTV transition. HD could not have enhanced my viewing that day. Having the channel in MPEG4 SD could not have enhanced my viewing that day. It could have been YouTube quality and it would have worked fine for me.

Everybody has different tastes. Some people think that TCM-HD was a waste of bandwidth given that they either dislike old movies or they feel that TCM's lack of true HD content made it unworthy of being added. Others think my #2 most wanted channel now (TV Land HD) would be a waste of bandwidth given that they MOSTLY show older series. Not to mention that my #1 most wanted channel (CW HD-DNS) is probably discounted by most people since they probably have a CW feed included in their locals, and never watch it. I feel that EVERYBODY has a right to like and anticipate their channel... regardless of whether or not anybody feels it's a justified addition. I also feel that if a channel is one that DirecTV carries in SD, it should be deserving of an HD feed... (well, I can think of a couple of possible exceptions, but C-SPAN is not one of them).

That being said, I too would find C-SPAN to be a confusing addition. Given the limited bandwidth, and the fact that DirecTV is missing a great deal of channels whose programming would more greatly benefit from the upgrade to HD. This is not a personal preference thing either as I have very little to no interest in sports, but I feel that the content is greatly enhanced by the quality of the picture.

Regardless of what others think, we must continue to ANTICIPATE our favorites... to cable with what everyone else thinks! :D

~Alan

as an owner of both D* and Time Warner...CSPAN touts its 1080 per wiki..during the convention I haven't been impressed with the HD quality..The offerings on PBS and the News outlets FNC/MSNBC even CBS for the 10pm hour (the only hour of hot air that really matters for them to make their bones) have surpassed what I've seen in regards to CSPAN's HD offering. Would D* offer a better picture (if it ever came to D*)..i dont know. The only advantage of CSPAN's coverage is no commentary and the entire convention is shown..even the corny music acts they have on. Their HD appears to be a bit stretched but not so much to call it stretch-o-vision..

in regards to ION
I can truly say with ION HD (also available on TWC as my LIL) their HD is OK at 720p but not great..FOX's/espn's/abc's 720p is far better than ION's and we'll all see that when ION comes if it ever comes. I further ruled TWC out of this equation when I hooked up a set of rabbit ears (yes I still have them) did a digital search and was able to pick up my LIL of ION..and their 720p is at best --> so so.

Its hard to fault who is at fault here for cruddy 1080 on Cspan is it CSPAN itself or TWC...?? :confused:

spam firewall