Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3626 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

How about all the adult channels in HD. That would be fun!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3627 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

:lol: You claimed they were offered a deal in line with the market. The PAC-12 has now expressed multiple versions of the truth. You've placed no blame on the network. You simply cling to this factoid about how many providers have agreed to carry it without knowing the parameters of those deals or the deal offered to DirecTV.

When the PAC-12 Network offers a deal that DirecTV feels is appropriate, they will agree to it. Until then, I'd suggest that those involved in the network get their stories straight if they want to play with the big boys.

Because i feel the network has no blame. The price is the price. As Spock said above, it's Directv's choice whether they pay it or not. Obviously i don't agree with their decision no to do so, and most importantly i question why they feel they are deserving of a better deal than everyone else (again assuming that financial terms of the dear are similar and scale to the size of the partner).

Big boys? That must be a joke. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Dish are big boys. Comcast is the biggest boy on the block.

#3628 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Would it though? Ever seen a stripper in the day light?:nono2:

#3629 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

The channels I would like to see are those channels that are now letterboxed because all of the content is now HD or the feed are down converting from is the HD feed of the station to give us SD.

#3630 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Anybody else notice that with the introduction today of DIY HD and ION HD, that the two new channels were in their Favorites list?

This used to be the case. If you had the channel selected in SD as one of your favorites, it automatically appeared in your list in HD. The last few introductions, this wasn't happening. I had to manually add each new HD channel into the Favorites on all my DVRs and receivers. Not today.

Thank you, DirecTV, for fixing this bug.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3631 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Which is why I manually make my list all HD and don't have box due it for me.

Anybody else notice that with the introduction today of DIY HD and ION HD, that the two new channels were in their Favorites list?

This used to be the case. If you had the channel selected in SD as one of your favorites, it automatically appeared in your list in HD. The last few introductions, this wasn't the case. I had to manually add each new HD channel into the Favorites on all my DVRs and receivers. Not today.

#3632 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Would it though? Ever seen a stripper in the day light?:nono2:

Funny, I was trying to get the thread back to HD stuff.

#3633 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

They did not automatically appear in my Favorites list, I had to add them.

#3634 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Because i feel the network has no blame.

Why?

The price is the price.

Which can, along with other terms of an offer, differ from one provider/network discussion to another.

Obviously i don't agree with their decision no to do so, and most importantly i question why they feel they are deserving of a better deal than everyone else (again assuming that financial terms of the dear are similar and scale to the size of the partner).

A better deal? Again, you're assuming the deal was similar or even fair. The network has already lied about this once before.

Big boys? That must be a joke. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Dish are big boys. Comcast is the biggest boy on the block.

I wasn't referring to other providers, obviously. I was referring to the PAC-12 Network. There are only two national providers in this country. Those cable companies operate under different parameters. Even the two national providers do and DirecTV has proven to be (by far) the most successful one.

It comes down to this:

The PAC-12 Network is missing out on the revenue from 20 million potential viewers. DirecTV only loses revenue from those customers who leave over not having a lone, very specialized, and unestablished network. The math becomes pretty simple.

#3635 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

DIYHD looks lovely here! Yippee! 305 is reporting as IONEHD (tho it's currently an SD infomercial).

Onwards to FMC/TVLand/H2!
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3636 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I still can't get DIY HD.
DTV = Digital Television

#3637 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

DIYHD looks lovely here! Yippee! 305 is reporting as IONEHD (tho it's currently an SD infomercial).

Onwards to FMC/TVLand/H2!

Oh ya,, it does look pretty good.. What are the other channels that came through recently.. Sorry if it's been posted, I missed that.

#3638 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Why?

Which can, along with other terms of an offer, differ from one provider/network discussion to another.

A better deal? Again, you're assuming the deal was similar or even fair. The network has already lied about this once before.

I wasn't referring to other providers, obviously. I was referring to the PAC-12 Network. There are only two national providers in this country. Those cable companies operate under different parameters. Even the two national providers do and DirecTV has proven to be (by far) the most successful one.

It comes down to this:

The PAC-12 Network is missing out on the revenue from 20 million potential viewers. DirecTV only loses revenue from those customers who leave over not having a lone, very specialized, an unestablished network. The math becomes pretty simple.

They have the right to set a price they think is fair for their product. Just for this sentence let's put aside the actual terms of the deals - Pac 12 was able to work out deals with other large cable providers (4 of the top 5). They have the ability to work out a deal and get the terms to a place where large providers feel comfortable with the financial details (even if those are different). They clearly have a team capabable of doing that - so you have to ask yourself why Directv is the exception? I find it far more likely that Directv is just being difficult - consistent with the way they've handled the last few contract negotiations - than it is Pac 12 is just not willing to work with them. To your point - what is directv really losing not having it at this point?

#3639 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

DIY and Amy Matthews in its HD glory...it's about time! She can work on my house ANY time she wants!:)

#3640 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

The top non sports HD stations I want include my Local fox station, which they have dropped for now, the cooking channel, gsn, ID and the other movie channels they have in SD right now.

#3641 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I can't think of much that I still want that we don't have. We're extremely close to the bottom of the barrel.

We have been close to the bottom of the barrel for a long time, but with the eight additions this year, we are really down there. Universal Sports and Cooking are the only ones left that I would watch that are not in HD.

#3642 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

To your point - what is directv really losing not having it at this point?

Not much and that says a lot.
DTV = Digital Television

#3643 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

BTW, I always feel dirty using the word "plethora". It's like it's the formal, scientific name for a body part we all call by its street name.

What is the Vulcan translation of "plethora?"

#3644 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Not much and that says a lot.

Agree. It says a ton about who might be the difficult party here. They don't have to be flexible because there's no consequence of note for them.

#3645 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I can't think of much that I still want that we don't have. We're extremely close to the bottom of the barrel.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of channels that I don't watch now but might if they go HD. Well past the channels I do watch and want HD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3646 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Its so crystal clear! Thanks DirecTV! DIY HD IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up with these HD adds and you make all types of customers happy!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#3647 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Too expensive. That's what the Internet is for. And mostly free as long as you have a good virus checker.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3648 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

This used to be the case. If you had the channel selected in SD as one of your favorites, it automatically appeared in your list in HD. The last few introductions, this wasn't happening. I had to manually add each new HD channel into the Favorites on all my DVRs and receivers. Not today.

Mine were not.

#3649 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Agree. It says a ton about who might be the difficult party here. They don't have to be flexible because there's no consequence of note for them.

Or it says that the PAC 12 is over valuing their product.

#3650 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Or it says that the PAC 12 is over valuing their product.

Bingo
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...