Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2921 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

But it would be in the PAC 12's best interest to have an upper tier PAC 12/Big 10 matchup on ESPN/ABC or an upper tier PAC 12/SEC matchup on ESPN or CBS. They are going to go for the biggest audience possible if there is a premiere non-conference game.

Games between the lower tier teams could end up on the PAC 12 network, just like the Vandy at Northwestern game is on the Big 10 network.

Could be but the PAC 12 is taking one week out of each three to pick the best game of the week for itself. They are not following the Big Ten pattern which is to use BTN to supplement rather than replace. Of course, the Big Ten has a better deal with espn/abc but a lot of that has to do with time zones.

But it would NOT be on CBS if it were sec. Home teams.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2922 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

I don't think it is appreciated that PAC12 discussion is continued here now that the topic has closed. Let's give it a rest until there are some new developments.

Anticipate other channels please :) More HD will be coming! (I hope...)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2923 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sounds good. More movies!

EPIX is awesome.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#2924 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

I would like to see Epix brought in as either a slightly less than normal priced premium set of channels, or added to the HD Extra pack though.

Paramount had "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "Thor", two of last year's biggest movies exclusive to EPIX.

Lionsgate has "The Hunger Games", one of this year's biggest movies, exclusive to EPIX.

MGM will most likely have "Skyfall" exclusive to EPIX once it makes it's premium debut next year. Actually, I might take this one back... I don't know if MGM, Sony, or Fox is responsible for the TV distribution.

I'm not quite sure what all these studios have on their upcoming slates, but I believe EPIX has made it harder this past year to ignore them.

~Alan

#2925 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Exactly. With movies like that I don't understand why DirecTV is adamant about not having Epix. Seems silly.

#2926 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Exactly. With movies like that I don't understand why DirecTV is adamant about not having Epix. Seems silly.

While I may be more interested in "basic" (sorry tonyd79) channels, depending upon the pricing, this channels' content is definitely on the rise when it comes to box office hits.

If it goes into the HD Extra package ala Dish, which is the only way I'd be interested in it personally (since that's the only way I'd get aside from perhaps a Freeview weekend every now and then), I'm afraid they'll jack the price up. :(

~Alan

#2927 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

EPIX would look good in the HD Extra's pack, but it would probably induce a price increase, if they do so. If it's only a dollar, then I could live with that.

#2928 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

EPIX would look good in the HD Extra's pack, but it would probably induce a price increase, if they do so. If it's only a dollar, then I could live with that.

I'm with you on that.

#2929 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

I would see it being closer to Dish's $10 fee... so that'd be a $5 increase.

While I'd miss HDNet Movies, MGM-HD, Sony Movie Channel, and Palladia HD, I'd be really ticked if it went up to $10 because I'm not sure I could justify the $5 increase when the only reason why I don't cancel the package and save me some money at this time is Hallmark Movie Channel which DirecTV chose to stick in the package. :(

~Alan

#2930 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Epix streaming is available on Roku for I think $14/month.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#2931 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Epix movies are available on Netflix 90 days after they debut on the Epix channel.

Otherwise to get Epix you have to be with certain providers like Verizon and some others to get it on your Roku box from what I've read.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2932 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Epix streaming is available on Roku for I think $14/month.

And that may be the reason we never see it on DIRECTV.

#2933 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

I can't find any way that you get Epix on Roku without paying for it through some cable/sat provider. There's even some discussion about it in Roku forums, here's a link:

http://forums.roku.c...de40f9bc9bd2afa

IOW, Epix is available to stream from some devices and your computer just like HBOGo and MaxGo are, and they have no added cost. But you cannot get a subscription to Roku on just a computer or device as far as I can determine.

Lloyd

#2934 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

I know of no way either. I do know that Epix movies are on Netflix streaming but Epix streaming has a lot more than what is available on Netflix.

Amazing assortment of recent blockbusters and old crap. And I mean crap. Lots of 1 star movies.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2935 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Epix movies are available on Netflix 90 days after they debut on the Epix channel.

Otherwise to get Epix you have to be with certain providers like Verizon and some others to get it on your Roku box from what I've read.

I have it on mine. Signed up during a free preview that I believe Dish was having. It's stayed accessible, except Live streaming.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#2936 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

I know of no way either. I do know that Epix movies are on Netflix streaming but Epix streaming has a lot more than what is available on Netflix.

Amazing assortment of recent blockbusters and old crap. And I mean crap. Lots of 1 star movies.

From what I read, all of the stuff Epix has from Lionsgate, Paramount and one other studio are supposedly to be on Netflix 90 days after they debut on Epix. I'm not sure if other studios are involved, and it does seem like not everything is showing up on Netflix, although I don't know of a way to search Netflix for Epix movies as a search term.

Lloyd

#2937 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have it on mine. Signed up during a free preview that I believe Dish was having. It's stayed accessible, except Live streaming.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that after the free preview you can still stream movies from Epix???

If so, I suspect it is a glitch and not supposed to be happening.

Lloyd

#2938 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that after the free preview you can still stream movies from Epix???

If so, I suspect it is a glitch and not supposed to be happening.

As far as I can remember it's a glitch.
It was a glitch that apparently occurs every free preview even if you don't sub to Dish.

#2939 OFFLINE   donpedronogal

donpedronogal

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is there some reason that the pinned thread never mentions Al Jazeera as available but not carried? I DVR the grainy SD coverage on LinkTV, but it would be nice to have the full day of coverage in HD.

As for sports, I'm putting a dime into the 'Pac-12 Network' bucket. I'm happy that we got beIN right away for La Liga and Serie A, but I think they're dropping GOL TV from the English sports package. Too bad. ESPN Deportes and GOL TV should both be included, or at least packaged with Fox Soccer Plus. I don't want to buy the entire Spanish tier for two channels.

#2940 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

While Pac-12 has no interest to me, for those that want it I would hope that it can come in either a spot beam to those areas with enough interest, or have few enough channels to get good coverage nationwide and not seriously eat up too many transponders.

Lloyd

spam firewall