Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2941 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Is there some reason that the pinned thread never mentions Al Jazeera as available but not carried?

If you're referring to my list on the first page, it's because I didn't realize it wasn't there.

I can add it...

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2942 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Is there some reason that the pinned thread never mentions Al Jazeera as available but not carried? I DVR the grainy SD coverage on LinkTV, but it would be nice to have the full day of coverage in HD.

Sadly, it's not available in HD anywhere.

#2943 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Sadly, it's not available in HD anywhere.

Is there really no HD feed available? I seem to remember there is/was at least a premium 720p stream being offered by some internet sources. I would think they would be offering an HD satellite feed as they are attempting to make greater penetration of the US market.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#2944 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Is there some reason that the pinned thread never mentions Al Jazeera as available but not carried? I DVR the grainy SD coverage on LinkTV, but it would be nice to have the full day of coverage in HD.

As for sports, I'm putting a dime into the 'Pac-12 Network' bucket. I'm happy that we got beIN right away for La Liga and Serie A, but I think they're dropping GOL TV from the English sports package. Too bad. ESPN Deportes and GOL TV should both be included, or at least packaged with Fox Soccer Plus. I don't want to buy the entire Spanish tier for two channels.

or maybe a soccer pack with fox Soccer + fox Soccer plus + GOL TV + beIN.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2945 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

EPIX would look good in the HD Extra's pack, but it would probably induce a price increase, if they do so. If it's only a dollar, then I could live with that.

I've always been willing to pay a reasonable price for what I want. I get much more annoyed when it isn't available to me to do so at all. Having said that, I have no idea what the pricing for Epix is like. . . but I do know it doesn't make me happy to see those movies exclusive there and it not on my provider. Exclusives for movies that big at the box office makes me think that it would be more than $1/month, however.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2946 OFFLINE   jwt0001

jwt0001

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

What is even better with Epix is that it gives you free access to the ROku streaming app too.

#2947 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 901 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

I would see it being closer to Dish's $10 fee... so that'd be a $5 increase.

While I'd miss HDNet Movies, MGM-HD, Sony Movie Channel, and Palladia HD, I'd be really ticked if it went up to $10 because I'm not sure I could justify the $5 increase when the only reason why I don't cancel the package and save me some money at this time is Hallmark Movie Channel which DirecTV chose to stick in the package. :(

~Alan

Revise the package. Move Hallmark Movie Channel HD, Universal HD, Crime & Investigation HD, and Palladia HD out of that group and into the Choice Plus (whatever its called). Bring in all three HD screens of Epix and make them a part of HD Extra Pack. (Will the fourth Epix, Epix Drive-In, go HD?) Charge $7.50. Raise the basic-cable packages, now that they would get HALMOV HD, UNVRSL HD, C&I HD, and PALAD HD (plus the basic-cable adds for HD screens thus far in 2012), and DirecTV could stick another $3 onto the subscription-price tag come 2013 Q#01. (That will probably happen anyway!)

#2948 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

So give us Premier subs Epix for free? Sounds great to me.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#2949 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Revise the package. Move Hallmark Movie Channel HD, Universal HD, Crime & Investigation HD, and Palladia HD out of that group and into the Choice Plus (whatever its called). Bring in all three HD screens of Epix and make them a part of HD Extra Pack. (Will the fourth Epix, Epix Drive-In, go HD?) Charge $7.50. Raise the basic-cable packages, now that they would get HALMOV HD, UNVRSL HD, C&I HD, and PALAD HD (plus the basic-cable adds for HD screens thus far in 2012), and DirecTV could stick another $3 onto the subscription-price tag come 2013 Q#01. (That will probably happen anyway!)

I always thought the current channels in the HD extra pack should either roll into the HD access fee or into the Choice Ultimate package since there isn't too much of a difference between Ultimate and Choice Xtra to start with.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#2950 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I think the Soccer Pack is in order now that I understand GolTV will be removed from the Sports pack and into the Spanish Packages only. Even though I am not affected since I have the En Espanol add-on, fans of German soccer is not going to be all that pleased about it.

I think a good pricing point would be $5.95/month or free with the Sports pack. But in addition to the previously mentioned channels, I'd like to see some supplemental coverage of Serie A and Ligue 1 in the 490s, i.e. whatever isn't shown live on beIN Sport, like the Inter-Roma match that happened to be concurrent with the Barcelona-Valencia match on beIN Sport this past Sunday. DirecTV already does an exceptional job with the UEFA matches and they should build upon it.

I'm happy that we got beIN right away for La Liga and Serie A, but I think they're dropping GOL TV from the English sports package. Too bad. ESPN Deportes and GOL TV should both be included, or at least packaged with Fox Soccer Plus. I don't want to buy the entire Spanish tier for two channels.

or maybe a soccer pack with fox Soccer + fox Soccer plus + GOL TV + beIN.

#2951 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

in regards to Pac-12's absence on D* the cliche' of leaving D* or any other provider isn't the answer, may not be so applicable here... It's actually an advantage to a provider that has it..

see, Pac 12 is a new channel and any contract they've signed with whomever, is fresh ink. Its not likely something you'd have to worry a few months down the line on expiring..With the Viacom channels yeah deals were already in place, the channels been around a VERY long time at other providers. So yeah switching isn't any good since a dispute can arise to whomever you're switching to per whatever month they signed their deals..With Pac-12 any providers contract likely began on August 15th the day of their launch..or shortly thereafter.

with Pac 12...There's fresh ink on the contracts they have with whomever. So if you love your college football, choice is yours..

Switching providers wont deja vu you.. shouldn't sting ya..

Edited by Santi360HD, 03 September 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#2952 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

• CW HD-DNS
    While I will continue to hold out hope that it will come prior to the start of the new Fall season (October 2nd is when it starts for The CW), I don't expect them until D14.
  • TV Land HD
    My hope is that the recent Viacom deal included TV Land HD. Of all the channels on my wishlist, it's the one that I feel I have the best chance of receiving this year.
  • Lifetime Movie Network HD
    Overall, I only watch this channel around November/December, so with it being August, it's higher on my list than it might usually be.
  • DIY-HD
    Watched frequently at this home, and a highly watched channel in my area.
  • Cooking Channel
    Watched frequently at this home.
  • Ion HD
    Overall, I only watch this channel around November/December, so with it being August, it's higher on my list than it might usually be.

I re-added Ion since it's been in test for a while now...

While I'd LIKE to have multiple other channels, including The Hub and Fox Movie Channel, if I could get the channels listed above, I'd be pretty much satisfied with their national channel lineup for the time being.

Of course, on the locals front, I'm still waiting on ABC-HD and hoping I won't have to wait on CW-HD when it launches next year. :(

When I posted the list above, I stated that I would like to have multiple other channels as well, but that the above list would satisfy me (nationally anyway)... and honestly, as much as I'd like to have LMN and Ion, I would actually be satisfied with the other 4. However, I wanted to comment on a certain channel...

... namely Reelz Channel.

Years ago, I enjoyed the telefilm "XIII" on NBC that was supposed to double as a pilot. The series didn't develop at the time, and the cast moved on to other things. However, Reelz Channel started a "XIII" series this year starring new actors/actresses.

A few nights ago, I was watching a recording of something ("Doctor Who" perhaps?!) and saw a commercial for a new series debuting this month on Reelz Channel called "Bomb Girls" that looked interesting.

I'm not going to add Reelz Channel to my wishlist or anything. Unlike the channels that are in my wishlist, it doesn't mean enough to me to really champion its cause or anything... but had we had the channel in HD, I would have set up a Series Link for "XIII" and would do so now for "Bomb Girls".

~Alan

#2953 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

While I may be more interested in "basic" (sorry tonyd79) channels, depending upon the pricing, this channels' content is definitely on the rise when it comes to box office hits.

My reality-check: There isn't a single channel I would really NEED anymore. BBC America was the one that was really missing.

Now, new HD channels have become more a "convenience" rather than a "need".

For my wife's sake, who watches this channel all the time I'd say OWN comes the closest to a "want", and DIY because I learn stuff from it doing stuff around the house. And I like Universal Sports for their non-revenue sports covering. (track/field, swimming, winter sports etc) But the reality is.... they are all just a convenience to have, I am fairly satisfied with DirecTV's HD offering now.... and I know there is always "more HD coming" at some point in the future. :D

My top 5 of wants is still:

1) OWN
2) DIY
3) Universal Sports
4) H2
5) TVLAND

In no particular order of importance.

Edited by maartena, 04 September 2012 - 10:20 AM.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2954 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

what about CLTV HD and CN100?

CLTV is exclusive to Comcast and RCN customers, and CN100 is exclusive to Comcast in the Chicago market. DirecTV will get those right after it gets CSN Philadelphia. ;)

#2955 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

However, I wanted to comment on a certain channel...

... namely Reelz Channel.

Years ago, I enjoyed the telefilm "XIII" on NBC that was supposed to double as a pilot. The series didn't develop at the time, and the cast moved on to other things. However, Reelz Channel started a "XIII" series this year starring new actors/actresses.

A few nights ago, I was watching a recording of something ("Doctor Who" perhaps?!) and saw a commercial for a new series debuting this month on Reelz Channel called "Bomb Girls" that looked interesting.

I'm not going to add Reelz Channel to my wishlist or anything. Unlike the channels that are in my wishlist, it doesn't mean enough to me to really champion its cause or anything... but had we had the channel in HD, I would have set up a Series Link for "XIII" and would do so now for "Bomb Girls".

~Alan[/QUOTE]

Reelz has been doing some original programming of late and I would also like to see it in HD as the SD versions is one of the worst for SD PQ, worse than most other SD PQ with D*.

But I'm not sure it is available as a full-time HD channel. I know that it gets to HD on Dish on occasion, but it comes and goes. Makes you wonder whether that is because Dish doesn't want to pay for it to be HD all the time, or if Reelz just isn't offering it all the time in HD.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2956 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

CLTV is exclusive to Comcast and RCN customers, and CN100 is exclusive to Comcast in the Chicago market. DirecTV will get those right after it gets CSN Philadelphia. ;)

CLTV can be carried by anyone if they want it. It is owned by the Tribune.

CN100 is the equivalent of other Comcast Networks (not CSN) around the country like CN8 on the East Coast or TCN (the Comcast Network). It is an inhouse channel not available to anyone else.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2957 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

NO owned by WGN and ANY one can add it if they want.

CLTV is timed sheared CSN + old analog days holdover dating back to the sports channel days and later FSN days.

#2958 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

CN100 is the equivalent of other Comcast Networks (not CSN) around the country like CN8 on the East Coast or TCN (the Comcast Network). It is an inhouse channel not available to anyone else.

CLTV is owned by the Tribune, but has only been available on Comcast and RCN. I do not know why that is, but that is the way it is. I do not see that changing any time soon.

Yes CN100 is not CSN (they just share the same owner), and I agree that it will never be carried by any provider pther than Comcast. Even if Comcast would allow other providers to carry the channel, there is no reason DirecTV or Dish would want it unless it was considered a LiL. Every major city's cable company has its own news / public access channel, and there is no way that DirecTV or Dish would start putting those up nationally. The national interest in channels like these is far too low, and there is no incentive for the local cable company to allow DirecTV or Dish to put the channel up as a LiL.

#2959 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

well it does have Chicago wolves and may if the NHL locks out then CSN can pick of the game. CSN once did show the Arlington Million useing CN100 hosts and on screen graphics and it was a very poor SD broadcast.

The Arlington Million the last few years on WGN and Wgn america looked real good and was in HD.

#2960 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

NO owned by WGN and ANY one can add it if they want.

CLTV is timed sheared CSN + old analog days holdover dating back to the sports channel days and later FSN days.

Both CLTV and WGN are owned by Tribune Broadcasting, and we all know how well DirecTV and Tribune were getting along back in April. Anyone could add CLTV if they can come to terms with Tribune over carriage fees. That is probably why only Comcast and RCN have it.

spam firewall