Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2961 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

very public display (hamming it up) of switching providers..for Pac-12
not just any ordinary Joe...just the Athletic Director of CALIFORNIA itself..
good for her

http://www.cbssports...-public-fashion

http://www.youtube.c...&v=FtNoRjRBpYc#!

Edited by Santi360HD, 04 September 2012 - 12:56 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2962 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

CLTV is owned by the Tribune, but has only been available on Comcast and RCN. I do not know why that is, but that is the way it is. I do not see that changing any time soon.

Looks like it already has.... at least, according to Wikipedia:

"CLTV reaches an estimated 1.8 million households, making it one of the most widely-distributed regional cable news channels in the United States. The channel had always been exclusively available on Comcast (and its forerunners AT&T Broadband, MediaOne and TCI) until October 2009, when RCN started to carry CLTV after Tribune struck a new carriage agreement with Comcast that removed the channel's exclusivity to that provider, enabling CLTV to appear on additional providers in the Chicago area.[3] Three months later on January 19, 2010, Comcast began offering CLTV on digital cable in the company's Rockford and South Bend service areas.[4] The SportsChannel / Fox Sports Net and Comcast SportsNet overflow content was not exclusive before October 2009, and was used on other systems that did not carry CLTV. CLTV currently remains unavailable to WOW!, AT&T U-verse, Dish Network and DirecTV subscribers in the Chicago market."

So it could be available on a DirecTV spot-beam if DirecTV wants it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2963 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

very public display (hamming it up) of switching providers..
good for her

Yeah that was posted in the now closed PAC12 topic last week. This shouldn't even be here really, mods have closed that topic for a reason, stirring up PAC12 talk here without any real new news in the anticipation topic.... I think will be frowned upon.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2964 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yeah that was posted in the now closed PAC12 topic last week. This shouldn't even be here really, mods have closed that topic for a reason, stirring up PAC12 talk here without any real new news in the anticipation topic.... I think will be frowned upon.

funny I had another user tell me in this very thread a few pages back..any channel is worth anticipation..even if its not on D*...and not those solely on D* in SD awaiting HD..so which is it?

what are the rules for anticipation?

#2965 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Looks like it already has.... at least, according to Wikipedia:

"CLTV reaches an estimated 1.8 million households, making it one of the most widely-distributed regional cable news channels in the United States. The channel had always been exclusively available on Comcast (and its forerunners AT&T Broadband, MediaOne and TCI) until October 2009, when RCN started to carry CLTV after Tribune struck a new carriage agreement with Comcast that removed the channel's exclusivity to that provider, enabling CLTV to appear on additional providers in the Chicago area.[3] Three months later on January 19, 2010, Comcast began offering CLTV on digital cable in the company's Rockford and South Bend service areas.[4] The SportsChannel / Fox Sports Net and Comcast SportsNet overflow content was not exclusive before October 2009, and was used on other systems that did not carry CLTV. CLTV currently remains unavailable to WOW!, AT&T U-verse, Dish Network and DirecTV subscribers in the Chicago market."

So it could be available on a DirecTV spot-beam if DirecTV wants it.

That still looks like the only ones that carry it are Comcast and RCN. DirecTV could carry it as a LiL in Chicago, but not nationally, and they would have to come to terms with Tribune. Given that DirecTV had to file a complaint with the FCC to get the other Tribune channels back, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

#2966 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

RCN wow!!..they're the other cable company here in Manhattan and Queens..Its not like in whatever building you live in you have a choice of both..cant speak for Queens..but in Manhattan, your entire building has to sign off on casting Time Warner Cable out and solely having RCN in your building...anyone wanting CLTV that bad will have to town hall their entire building 1st to do the flip of providers here!! That is if CLTV was even available in NYC..Wonder if the same rules for sole distribution exist in CHI-town for RCN..?

#2967 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

very public display (hamming it up) of switching providers..for Pac-12
good for her

She was tweeting long before that video. I think it is bad form to be hamming it up while you are in talks with a provider. Even weeks before it looked like there was going to be an impass.

She is announcing that the PAC 12 is in bed with Comcast. Great way to run a business.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2968 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

funny I had another user tell me in this very thread a few pages back..any channel is worth anticipation..even if its not on D*...and not those solely on D* in SD awaiting HD..so which is it?

what are the rules for anticipation?

They are just that. Anticipation.

Posting stuff about the CAL head honcho switching to Comcast actually contributed to quite a heated debate in the PAC12 topic, so that's why I said what I said. And it's not up to me. All I am saying is that the PAC12 discussion got volatile enough between certain users it caused mods to close the topic. And a new topic on PAC12 was closed soon after. So in essence, the mods are keeping the lid on anything PAC12 right now. Your post could easily instigate a new discussion (and the post by tony above really strengthens that case), and with that I will sign off on this topic and let the mods decide on when and how PAC12 talk is allowed again. For now the rule they set is: "No Pac12 talk until there is real, actual news".

So I'll stick with that for now.

I am the Stig.

#2969 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

The channels I (and my family) want hasn't changed much in the last year.

1) a certain channel popular on the West Coast that features CFB among other things.
2) DIY a popular channel in my household, the only channel we watch in SD still
3) Universal Sports-love the sports they feature

#2970 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

For now the rule they set is: "No ***** talk until there is real, actual news".

So I'll stick with that for now.

so anticipations have to be factual and politically correct..got it...
I've reported a few people in my time per the PM button to no avail, as i'd expect anyone that got upset about any post I put up they're entitled...and so am I to report....but you have my cooperation going fwd..

#2971 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

From what I read, all of the stuff Epix has from Lionsgate, Paramount and one other studio are supposedly to be on Netflix 90 days after they debut on Epix. I'm not sure if other studios are involved, and it does seem like not everything is showing up on Netflix, although I don't know of a way to search Netflix for Epix movies as a search term.

Amazon Prime announcement:

"Great news for Amazon Prime members—we've just signed two big deals that bring you even more high quality movies and TV shows with all-you-can-eat, unlimited instant streaming. The first is with EPIX and brings movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate. Enjoy Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango. In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2972 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

so anticipations have to be factual and politically correct..got it...
I've reported a few people in my time per the PM button to no avail, as i'd expect anyone that got upset about any post I put up they're entitled...and so am I to report....but you have my cooperation going fwd..

Anticipations are anticipations, so by definition, they cannot be factual. I do not think that anticipating a channel can be either politically correct or incorrect.

The message that is trying to be conveyed is that it is ok to say "I want the PAC 12 network" or even "I think the PAC 12 network will (or will not) be carried by DirecTV", but posting links to the bickering that has been going on between the PAC 12 or officials of its member schools and DirecTV is beyond the scope of this thread.

#2973 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Amazon Prime announcement:

"Great news for Amazon Prime members—we've just signed two big deals that bring you even more high quality movies and TV shows with all-you-can-eat, unlimited instant streaming. The first is with EPIX and brings movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate. Enjoy Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango. In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year."

:eek: Epix movies are free on Amazon Prime now? Wow.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2974 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Anticipations are anticipations, so by definition, they cannot be factual. I do not think that anticipating a channel can be either politically correct or incorrect.

The message that is trying to be conveyed is that it is ok to say "I want the PAC 12 network" or even "I think the PAC 12 network will (or will not) be carried by DirecTV", but posting links to the bickering that has been going on between the PAC 12 or officials of its member schools and DirecTV is beyond the scope of this thread.

Thanks. This is what I meant, I guess I wasn't entirely clear in trying to get this message across.

I am the Stig.

#2975 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

With HGTV in HD, my wife watches this religiously. She would also watch DIY HD if available. Changing from former to latter elicits groans over the PQ.

As D* prices rise each year, I am hoping they add DIY HD soon to keep the wife from further questioning why we are paying all this money, etc. (I like my sports...)

Never underestimate the statement: Happy Wife, Happy Life...

#2976 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

With HGTV in HD, my wife watches this religiously. She would also watch DIY HD if available. Changing from former to latter elicits groans over the PQ.

As D* prices rise each year, I am hoping they add DIY HD soon to keep the wife from further questioning why we are paying all this money, etc. (I like my sports...)

Never underestimate the statement: Happy Wife, Happy Life...

My wife wants DIY HD too. She watches a lot of HGTV, but she'd usually rather watch DIY content. . . if it were in HD.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2977 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

:eek: Epix movies are free on Amazon Prime now? Wow.

Not "now," but "SOON"

There are rumors that Amazon is considering spinning off Prime Instant Video into a separate service. The $79/yr they charge for Prime doesn't even cover the cost of the free shipping they offer, so long-term they need to figure out a way for this thing to pay for itself.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#2978 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Not "now," but "SOON"

There are rumors that Amazon is considering spinning off Prime Instant Video into a separate service. The $79/yr they charge for Prime doesn't even cover the cost of the free shipping they offer, so long-term they need to figure out a way for this thing to pay for itself.

And yet I just read a few business articles on how the model works as is and that amazon has taken aim right at Netflix.

Free shipping, etc, attracts so many customers it is amazing. I have a large group of friends who shop almost exclusively at amazon because of Prime.

They should take heed of when Netflix tried to break up services. They lost a huge chunk of customers, many who never can back. And a lot of them (including me) cut back on their plans.

Amazon is not a dumb company.

#2979 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

How long till we see channel logos for the HD's that were added last round?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#2980 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

How long till we see channel logos for the HD's that were added last round?

"Soon"

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...