Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3001 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Soon also means not now...anyone dispute the big bowl of NOT NOW D* has ??
after all without the SOON cliche' there'd be no need for an anticipation forum..

Thanks D* for making us exist!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3002 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

How does one explain "Soon"?

You might as well ask someone to explain why birds build nests in the spring, why the neighborhood cat hunts squirrels, why water rolls downhill, or why ketchup never flows easily out of the bottle. Why do pretty girls with big breasts wear tight shirts? Why does honey never spoil? Why is Coca-Cola sweet and lemonade bitter? Why does a 17 year old sleep until noon? Why is fire hot, ice cream cold and an orange just right?

Soon is part of the essence that is DirecTV. It is in their DNA, as corporate as a white shirt and tie. Soon is built into every dish, transponder and set top box DirecTV makes. All executives at DirecTV have the middle name Soon. Without Soon, DirecTV could not exist. Without DirecTV, Soon would not have meaning.

Soon is as core to DirecTV's being as a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, as basic to DirecTV as the color blue, as essential to DirecTV as coax cable.

Soon and DirecTV are two sides of a one sided coin.

Does that answer the question?

Wish posters would have some facts for a change and quit guessing.

#3003 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

There is no facts to share other than "SOON."

I've seen some channels get logos within two months... and others take much longer. Heck, I just mentioned that The Hub got a logo for the first time since becoming available... (what?) two years ago?

At least their national channels are better updated than some of the OTA channels via the AM21... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#3004 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

ep1974, I'm sorry you didn't see humor in my post. It was directed at you. I've always found laughing at a situation better than being frustrated. The negative situation won't change. You might as well not let it get to you, too.

The fact is we don't know the answer to your question about logos. The fact is we can't know because we aren't employees of DirecTV. The fact is unless you are certain a poster is a high mucky-muck of DirecTV, or that they are extremely well connected, you shouldn't believe what anybody says will happen with the company. Don't trust their facts.

So, in other words, almost everyone is guessing all the time. If you start from that premise, it might save you some headaches.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3005 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,001 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Some other threads will be your cuppa, then; not this one!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3006 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

ep1974, I'm sorry you didn't see humor in my post. It was directed at you. I've always found laughing at a situation better than being frustrated. The negative situation won't change. You might as well not let it get to you, too.

The fact is we don't know the answer to your question about logos. The fact is we can't know because we aren't employees of DirecTV. The fact is unless you are certain a poster is a high mucky-muck of DirecTV, or that they are extremely well connected, you shouldn't believe what anybody says will happen with the company. Don't trust their facts.

So, in other words, almost everyone is guessing all the time. If you start from that premise, it might save you some headaches.

Speaking for only myself, I am sure I will learn this somewhat zen premise soon.

If my post sounds angry, please re-read it with a smile.

#3007 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I assume that this is an RTV affiliate? If so, is it a true HD picture, or a widescreen stretch of an SD picture? The reason I ask, is the possibility of finding an HD feed of RTV on C Band.

KNLC is a religious station that mixes in a few classic series. The PQ is horrible.

#3008 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Speaking for only myself, I am sure I will learn this somewhat zen premise soon.

sooner zen later?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3009 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

:)

We all look forward to your enlightenment soon.

Until then, grok this question:

If a TV in the forest is tuned to a channel which switches to HD and nobody is around to watch it, what channel should you be anticipating?

A channel that shows the picture of one hand clapping.

#3010 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well said... :)

~Alan

#3011 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Oh, once in awhile this (series of quarterly) thread(s) features useful and predictive information.

Just not often.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3012 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hey, watch it, bub!

I resemble that remark.

#3013 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

How long till we see channel logos for the HD's that were added last round?

"Soon"

Please explain. Are you just guessing?

With all the channels that are not yet in HD to complain about, I am amazed that anyone thinks the lack of channel logos for channels that have been added in HD is a concern. The logos add nothing to the enjoyment of the programming or to the quality of the HD video.

#3014 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

We have facts as soon as DirecTV makes a press release (facebook, twitter, website, newsletter) about channels.

And that press release will come soon.

Until then, some hints may have been dropped here and there, but it is all hearsay and guesses. And we have seen with iON that even a channel in test mode isn't a fact of the channel actually launching. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3015 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Bonanza, Highway to Heaven and Little House on the Prairie in HD for Saint Louie!
Hmmm... these three shows have something in common...

They all sucked?

#3016 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

:)

We all look forward to your enlightenment soon.

Until then, grok this question:

If a TV in the forest is tuned to a channel which switches to HD and nobody is around to watch it, what channel should you be anticipating?

A channel that shows the picture of one hand clapping.

Grok, Spock, really? :)

Mixing sci fi worlds?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3017 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

They all sucked?

Posted Image
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3018 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Grok, Spock, really? :)

Mixing sci fi worlds?

Posted Image

#3019 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

And I'm anticipating ION HD. Those bozos have to realize by now whatever they did to bugger the deal with DirecTV at the last moment was a bad move. DirecTV is perfectly fine with letting them dangle there in Test mode now that the deal has changed. Come on, Ion Media, back off of whatever misunderstanding you had with DirecTV and get your HD station on the air!

#3020 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

And I'm anticipating ION HD. Those bozos have to realize by now whatever they did to bugger the deal with DirecTV at the last moment was a bad move. DirecTV is perfectly fine with letting them dangle there in Test mode now that the deal has changed. Come on, Ion Media, back off of whatever misunderstanding you had with DirecTV and get your HD station on the air!

I have confidence this deal will be done.... if it was a "final" decision, DirecTV would have removed the test channel already.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...