Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3021 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

This forum needs a like button. Has George Takei seen that cartoon?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3022 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Has George Takei seen that cartoon?

I don't know why he should. Are you referring to the cartoon's publisher? I know nothing about that. A Star Trek buddy sent the cartoon to me in an email.

Beyond that, Tony, I don't get your point. Does a liberal mindset make cartoons in the New Yorker funnier? How about the cartoons in Playboy? Can't a priest laugh at those, too?

In my book, humor is not limited to between one man and one woman.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cartoon. I thought it quite funny, too.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3023 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

I don't know why he should. Are you referring to the cartoon's publisher? I know nothing about that. A Star Trek buddy sent the cartoon to me in an email.

Beyond that, Tony, I don't get your point. Does a liberal mindset make cartoons in the New Yorker funnier? How about the cartoons in Playboy? Can't a priest laugh at those, too?

In my book, humor is not limited to between one man and one woman.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cartoon. I thought it quite funny, too.

Woah. :lol:
He probably asked because George often post similar "nerd humor" on his social media sites, and he would probably love to see it. His postings are usually very funny.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3024 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Maybe I over-reacted. If so, Tony, I am sorry. I'm not familiar with Takei's website.

I see this kind of stuff on Trek BBS and it really bugs me. One too many "Sulu is gay" joke. Maybe I've been watching too many political shows lately with everyone having a hidden agenda. That's it. I'm not watching TV tonight.

I like that Zack Quinto is gay but his character has the hots for Uhura. It just messes with people's preconceptions.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3025 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Maybe I over-reacted. If so, Tony, I am sorry. I'm not familiar with Takei's website.

No kidding! :D :D

I follow him on Facebook, he post funny sh....err stuff.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3026 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Woah. :lol:
He probably asked because George often post similar "nerd humor" on his social media sites, and he would probably love to see it. His postings are usually very funny.

Exactly. This is perfect for him and his stuff on Facebook. Lots of Trek and Star Wars and Potter humor. And lots of poking fun at Twilight.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3027 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

KNLC is a religious station that mixes in a few classic series. The PQ is horrible.

Understatement of the year...& what's even MORE bizarre, is that DISH actually put this POS (HD) channel up several MONTHS ago BEFORE D* did! :eek2: :eek2:

#3028 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I see this kind of stuff on Trek BBS and it really bugs me. One too many "Sulu is gay" joke. Maybe I've been watching too many political shows lately with everyone having a hidden agenda. That's it. I'm not watching TV tonight.

I like that Zack Quinto is gay but his character has the hots for Uhura. It just messes with people's preconceptions.

Never need to apologize to me. I didn't understand what you were saying anyway since it didn't match what I was thinking.

#3029 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

I didn't understand what you were saying anyway since it didn't match what I was thinking.

Kinda reminds me of a fav. tagline of mine:

"I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I understood the reference from George Takei's FB presence, even though I am not a true Trekkie.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3030 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Kinda reminds me of a fav. tagline of mine:

"I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I understood the reference from George Takei's FB presence, even though I am not a true Trekkie.

I know that line. In this case, it was such a non-sequitur it went right by me.

#3031 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Update on the pac 12 network. It was confirmed false, they have not reached a deal. They have not reached a deal. Having said that i would like to see it added along with more of the Encore stations in HD.

#3032 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

Update on the pac 12 network. It was confirmed false, they have not reached a deal. They have not reached a deal. Having said that i would like to see it added along with more of the Encore stations in HD.

And theirs rumors that its in testing mode on E*. It would be something if E* got it before D*.

#3033 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

KNLC is a religious station that mixes in a few classic series. The PQ is horrible.

Yes. It doesn't look any different in "HD" than it did in SD. It's just slightly clearer blur.

#3034 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Update on the pac 12 network. It was confirmed false, they have not reached a deal.

Which is why I didn't post anything. I had a feeling that was the case. Tried to get it confirmed via twitter, but nope.

What is confirmed however, is that PAC12 has shown up in test on Dish Network. So they may (or may not) get it before DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3035 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Which is why I didn't post anything. I had a feeling that was the case. Tried to get it confirmed via twitter, but nope.

What is confirmed however, is that PAC12 has shown up in test on Dish Network. So they may (or may not) get it before DirecTV.

they'd SO want to make the deal 1st, since E*'s sports offerings aint nothing spectacular that I'd ever switch for..there's not 1 single NY RSN on Dish...click...dial tone...................hello? sir?
classic schoolyard SHOW & TELL that E* wants to be on top!!

That was me in 2005 when I hooked up D* to the bar...for NFLN and ST...and E* with their stance of WHATS NOT available, heard a click & dial tone next...

Edited by Santi360HD, 06 September 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#3036 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

they'd SO want to make the deal 1st, since E*'s sports offerings aint nothing spectacular that I'd ever switch for..there's not 1 single NY RSN on Dish...click...dial tone...................hello? sir?
classic schoolyard SHOW & TELL that E* wants to be on top!!

That was me in 2005 when I hooked up D* to the bar...for NFLN and ST...and E* with their stance of WHATS NOT available, heard a click & dial tone next...

Maybe Dish execs said we lost NYC we can't also lose LA market and ponied up?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3037 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Maybe Dish execs said we lost NYC we can't also lose LA market and ponied up?

PAC12 isn't the LA market. Only 2 of the 12 PAC 12 teams hail from there. Granted, LA is probably the most important market within the PAC12, but give the other 10 teams some credit. It should also be noted that the PAC12 test channel at Dish Network is currently in SD only.

I am the Stig.

#3038 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

If there was an election for single favorite FB poster of funny pictures/cartoons you haven't already seen 20 times, Takei would likely win in a landslide.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3039 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

When the news broke I was able to get a response back from the @Directvservice twitter account that said "we continue to work towards an agreement that is fair for both sides and doesn't cost our subscribers too much money...." something in those words. So basically we won't have it this week, as has been said the real date seems to be the Cal/USC game that would garner a lot of attention if it's not on DirecTV. Now maybe Pac 12 is trying to force the hand of DirecTV by letting Dish have the channel in testing...who knows...I surely don't. Just hope the 2 sides work it out and we can put the Pac12 debate behind us and move on to other channels!

#3040 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm all for that. Wish we had some hockey talk, but that's one big sucking sound, right now. I guess the only other blood sport being played right now, besides football, is politics.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...