Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3161 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Strike Up the Band
Strike Up the Band may refer to:

Strike Up the Band (musical), a 1927 Broadway musical with music by George and Ira Gershwin
"Strike Up the Band" (song), a song from the musical
Strike Up the Band (film), a 1940 musical film starring Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney
Strike Up the Band (album), an album by Tony Bennett with Count Basie and his Orchestra
"Strike Up the Band", a song by Poison from Native Tongue

Strike up the Band, because it may be time for a celebration soon. Right?

FUSE HD???? They actually play music (as opposed to MTV/VH1)?

I would love Fuse HD, but I would hope DIY HD comes at the same time or close to it as well. That's my #1 wish.

Too much influence on band. SR has used he band for other channels that were not musical.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3162 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

=maartena;3093792]

Love it! And:

She Loves You,
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

S.U.T.B. is so perfectly ambiguous!

SR's at the peak of his game....

This is quite a season, got the HR34 j.i.t.!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3163 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I think that's all that is guys. A band reference, because HD is coming. I don't think he is given any hints as to WHAT HD it might be.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3164 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I think that's all that is guys. A band reference, because HD is coming. I don't think he is given any hints as to WHAT HD it might be.

Me too. Maybe a band means more than one?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3165 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm going with PAC12.. I know he said a mix channel, but maybe not??? I bet we hear that Pac12 goes live by this weekend.. Crossing fingers

Yeah but PAC12 is 7 channels. This is 5 channels + 1 Mix channel. The numbers don't really add up, unless they structured some really strange deal. At that rate, they may as well put the 7 HD channels on 24/7.

Also, it is noted as part-time, and they are in an area usually used for special events. The 70x are now taken by NFL Sunday Ticket, so I am thinking these channels are some sort of special event.

However, they don't start at 750.... Just not sure about these. I can't think of any major sporting events coming up soon. They aren't PPV, and PPV fights are usually in the 100s somewhere.

One other reason I don't think it is permanent, is that those channels are used by NBA League Pass when the season starts in October. (That is, 751-759 or so).

So I am thinking temporary. But what? Or maybe it is just testing something. Or internal channels for a special event. Any big conventions coming up?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3166 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

SatelliteRacer: Uninformative with Tricks and Beguile
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3167 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Sixto just saw this go live: (Actually went live over the weekend)

Part-time Changes: NEW (added/moved) from 2012-09-12 compared to 2012-09-06:
9755 *DTV PT D11 6 1fc0
9756 *DTV PT D11 2 1020
9757 *DTV PT D11 4 1020
9758 *DTV PT D11 10 1010
9759 *DTV PT D11 11 1010
9760 *DTV PT D10 14 1030

He's not sure what it is with just the marker "DTV" on it. 9755 is a "mix" channel.

All the "Grand Slam" Tennis tournaments are over for the year with the U.S. Open just finished, and the same with the PGA Golf tournaments. (There isn't even anything *close* to a tournament of size until the Ryder cup on Sept 28-30, which is not big enough for 5 or 6 channels).

With one of em being a mix channel, what could these be? Not so sure about PAC12, although a mix channel could be possible. But they wouldn't need 5 part time HD either, 2 will do just fine for almost all conflicts.... so I don't think that is it.

Speculations, speculations, what major event needs 5 channels + mix channel that is coming up soon?

I was about to counter that on given Saturdays Pac-12 doesn't even utilize that much overflow for football games..but then reading their schedule there are other things on the channel that utilize 2 or 3 overflow at a time..so maybe it's them....

Here...check out the schedule and go a few days forward..soccer & volleyball occupying some overflow..

http://pac-12.com/ScheduleResults.aspx

maybe its just another OTHER 6...who knows...wonder if its ION and the rest something else...hmm..??

#3168 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Anyone know how many cable companies carry H2 HD? I know my local Comcrap carries H2 HD as well as E*. Looks like History Channel is moving a lot of their good shows over to H2 this fall, but D* doesn't carry that channel. Would sure like to see H2 HD added to D*'s lineup SOON!

Edited by n3ntj, 12 September 2012 - 09:56 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3169 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

SatelliteRacer: Usually Toys and Be-smurches.

#3170 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I was about to counter that on given Saturdays Pac-12 doesn't even utilize that much overflow for football games..but reading the schedule there are other things on the channel that utilize 2 or 3 overflow at a time..so maybe it's them....

Here...check out the schedule and go a few days forward..soccer & volleyball occupying some overflow..

http://pac-12.com/ScheduleResults.aspx

maybe its just another OTHER 6...who knows...wonder if its ION and the rest something else...hmm..??

But why would they place these channels in a channel range that is going to be gobbled up by the NBA in a few weeks from now? PAC12 season lasts a lot longer, they would have put it somewhere on a different channel range.

I think it is something temporary, something that is done and over with long before the NBA season starts, and quite possibly a private event or convention of some sorts.

I am the Stig.

#3171 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,829 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Anyone know how if any cable companies, or E* for that matter, carry H2 HD? Looks like History is moving a lot of their good shows over to H2 this fall, but D* doesn't carry that channel. Would sure like to see H2 HD added to D*'s lineup SOON!

Many cable systems do, as does Uverse.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3172 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

S.U.T.B.

Sounds like a reference to the world class marching bands of the Pac-12. Conquest!

#3173 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

SatelliteRacer: Under-appreciated, Terrorized By-All-Of-Us.

I am the Stig.

#3174 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

But why would they place these channels in a channel range that is going to be gobbled up by the NBA in a few weeks from now? PAC12 season lasts a lot longer, they would have put it somewhere on a different channel range.

I think it is something temporary, something that is done and over with long before the NBA season starts, and quite possibly a private event or convention of some sorts.

I agree with you...I'd hate for it to be PAC-12 (while I want it, for the College FB faithful at the bar)..seems like such a waste..

While there are SO many other ABSENT HD wants the masses want..

#3175 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

SUTB

Shut Up (about) Tampa Bay

The Mix channel is a special one for non Tampa area fans.

LOL!

#3176 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

TWC Sportsnet debuts on 10/1 so that could be part of it too. Some type of combination with Pac 12.

#3177 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I actually can't think of any channel more wanted at this moment, based on viewers tweeting to DirecTV and Facebooking to DirecTV, and the fact it has its own topic almost going faster than this one.

No basic type HD is going to keep customers (or gain customers) as PAC12 at the moment in any case.....

I am the Stig.

#3178 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Maybe they are testing new HD's in an unusual way just to foil Sixo's detective work?

Or testing in a new way to foil the bug in the HR34 that lets you find and watch stuff in test?

Trying to be super secretive to not breach contracts with third parties?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#3179 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

I actually can't think of any channel more wanted at this moment, based on viewers tweeting to DirecTV and Facebooking to DirecTV, and the fact it has its own topic almost going faster than this one.

No basic type HD is going to keep customers (or gain customers) as PAC12 at the moment in any case.....

Agreed.

There is nothing really out there right now that drives customers. Even PAC 12 is not that earthshattering but it is much bigger than anything else.

#3180 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I agree with you...I'd hate for it to be PAC-12 (while I want it, for the College FB faithful at the bar)..seems like such a waste..

Is there a smiley missing?

Do the masses really want masses more HD? What would satisfy these masses of which you speak?

I am very pleased with what we have now. Yes, more is better, but there are considerations, be it cost, sat. space, intransigence, whatever.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall