Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I told you to trust. I didn't mean them. ;)

Good advice. :)

I too am personally surprised that TCM would be placed in testing two weeks in advance given that there's usually a much faster turn-around in national channels.

However, if it comes later this week, next week, or the next, it's no sweat to me, as unlike CW HD-DNS, BBC America, or TV Land, it's not a channel whose time-table means anything to me... I'll just be glad to have it when it's added. :)

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah you're right, I'll sit back and relax and enjoy my AC (95 degrees out!). TCM isn't even on my top 10 anyway.

That's how I feel when I have no information. I just sit back and relax. Even when the channel is one I want like TCM. nothing i can do.

Stay cool and safe. Enjoy the holiday.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#303 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I too am personally surprised that TCM would be placed in testing two weeks in advance given that there's usually a much faster turn-around in national channels.

However, if it comes later this week, next week, or the next, it's no sweat to me, as unlike CW HD-DNS, BBC America, or TV Land, it's not a channel whose time-table means anything to me... I'll just be glad to have it when it's added. :)

~Alan

At my work, all schedules spread out around this time of year. Manpower gets funky with lots of vacations. May have an affect. May not. Maybe the equipment arrived early and they just put it up. Who knows. This ain't FedEx. :)

My only date for bbc is based on Doctor Who. But I am prepared to continue buying that from amazon.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#304 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Reliable, (i.e. press release, NOT forum) source please...

Perhaps the moderator of the forum where the date has been leaked has a contact within DirecTV just like we have SatelliteRacer.

And I believe that you know as well as I do that DirecTV doesn't issue a press release until a few days before the launch at most. Sometimes not even until the launch day itself. Also, adding 1 channel isn't really something to issue a press release about. It's not like they are adding 10 channels or so like in May 2010.

I would sooner expect a press release from TCM actually, as they are the ones selling advertising. :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#305 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yes.

Then why haven't you already? Dish Network has DIY HD, and has had it for quite some time. How long are still willing to wait? I mean, if you are serious about switching for 1 channel, I would have though you would have done so a LONG time ago.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#306 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Then why haven't you already? .

I have. Read my sig.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#307 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have. Read my sig.

You didn't leave. You have both services.

#308 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well I dont know if its in any other forum...I just noticed 2 new HD stations on D* in the NYC area...However they're local channels and not national basic.

WLNY-55 an independent station out of Riverhead, Long Island... didn't even know that they beamed in HD...

and the biggie WNJU-47 Linden NJ the Spanish Telemundo NY affiliate

both have HD allocations...CH55 has alot of Old TV shows..be interesting to see if they get the HD up-convert or cleanup.....and the spanish Telemundo to see all the hotties in the soaps!!

Thanks D*

For the NY Metro Area...all thats left is the ION affiliate in HD WPXN-31 and Public TV station WLIW-21, to my knowledge they themselves do not beam in HD. You can be rest assured **Telemundo came in HD just in time for any NBC Olympic overflow..

**noticed on CH 406 there is no national Telemundo in HD..just SD..

Edited by Santi360HD, 04 July 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#309 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Kool how far down on the totem pole are you (BTW it's descending not ascending; most power on the BOTTOM, least power on the TOP, common misconception, look it up). [social studies lesson over, class dismissed]. :)

I wasn't referring to myself, but perhaps to someone who lives near to where orphan cars were once produced.

#310 OFFLINE   Satellite Fans

Satellite Fans

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Someone mentioned Jim Norton in the Q2 anticipation thread. Jim Norton talked about his Epix comedy special on the Opie & Anthony radio show this week. He said that Epix will be on DIRECTV in July. I pulled a clip from the show that aired on Monday, July 2: .

I personally hope this is true. Epix is one of my most desired channels.

#311 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

??????????????????????

Double ????????????????????????????
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#312 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm thinking...whats good & bad about the Telemundo HD addition. (**see post#308) as i said Telemundo local is in HD here in NYC..just noticed it today..

good that they added it in time for the olympics, D* would of likely received a lot of heat should any event fall there thats not on NBC and their other english HD affiliates. Should there be any.

Bad in that there is a national channel slot (ch406) that will likely see its HD counterpart right next to it..while not in the basic tier, but in the premium tier and is very likely to light up there soon subtracting a spot on whatever was on anyone else's wish-list with the TCM-HD rollout.....I highly doubt WNJU channel 47 from NJ serving the NY area would be the only market to receive an HD signal for the channel.

I'm happy with these additions and ones forthcoming. The NYC market when TCM-HD lights up we will have received 3 new **HD channels on said festivus day..Thanks D*

Edited by Santi360HD, 04 July 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#313 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

??????????????????????

Orphan cars are ones that are no longer being made, like for example, Studebakers.

#314 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

So your friend is an automotive industry executive from South Bend, Indiana??????????

No, I'm saying that one of the posters here that is from Indiana may work for Directv.

#315 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

You didn't leave. You have both services.

Yea, until December. Then I am going to "move" to my parents house with my boxes, and they are going to cancel their account and use mine. They will enjoy the last year on my contract, lifetime DVR, and the HR34. So technically, yes, I will have both services. In reality, D* will still be losing an account. Just semantics.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#316 OFFLINE   Xizer

Xizer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

While D* may be deficient in the array of basic HD channels compared to the cable companies, D*'s sports offerings are second to none.

With all that said, the only ones worth adding from your list are Investigation Discovery, BBC America, H2, Nat Geo Wild, and an outside possibility of DIY and Fox Movie Channel if that is ever going to be in HD.

I don't really care about sports so I don't care how many billions of dollars and how much space DirecTV is wasting on them. I doubt a majority of the population cares about sports enough that they need that many sports networks. The few times I want to check some sporting events out there's usually an awesome, much higher quality backhaul feed going on on free-to-air satellite. Sports games are a dime-a-dozen; unique native HD gameshows like Baggage on GSN HD and quality animation like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on The Hub HD are more unique and much harder to come by. So I make my decision based on how much unique and interesting niche content my provider can give me, and channels like The Hub and GSN are must-haves in HD including the previously mentioned criticals like H2, Nat Geo Wild, etc.

What made you subscribe to a forum about DBS Satellite Systems then?

And have you checked out Dish Network's HD lineup?

Dish Network's HD lineup is definitely better than DirecTV's... but it's still lacking in some areas. They also have a serious quality problem - downrezzing 1080i channels to 1440x1080 is ridiculous and I can't support that kind of activity.

I am on this forum because I do dabble in free-to-air satellite - fronthaul networks, wildfeeds, backhaul feeds. I try to maintain an account on all the Internet's big satellite forums.

I see what's being done via satellite distribution 'behind the scenes'... 40 Mbps 1080i 4:2:2 MPEG-2 video... Dolby E audio... 20+ Mbps 1080i H.264... and then I look over at what the subscription services are providing to people who are actually PAYING to see the content and I can't help but be disappointed by what a poor job DirecTV and Dish Network are doing representing this technology. I check out these threads and I couldn't resist commenting on these recent poor decisions by DirecTV.

So I'd like to subscribe DirecTV or Dish based on my positive experiences with satellite technology, but examining the technical specs and HD channel lineups of these companies reveals an obvious and disappointing conclusion: they're inferior to even cable right now. I just hope that when DirecTV gets that new satellite in 2014 they finally step it up and stop letting cable and Verizon FiOS kick their ass.

#317 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Heck, our local PBS even does it. They downrez the pristine 1080i 1/2 transponder feed and send it out OTA at 720p with 3 damn subchannels. I refuse to watch it, and use the PBS distro satellite instead.

#318 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I just hope that when DirecTV gets that new satellite in 2014 they finally step it up and stop letting cable and Verizon FiOS kick their ass.

How is Fios kicking their ass? By those dumb .tv channels that are only available at the top tier?

#319 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yea, until December. Then I am going to "move" to my parents house with my boxes, and they are going to cancel their account and use mine. They will enjoy the last year on my contract, lifetime DVR, and the HR34. So technically, yes, I will have both services. In reality, D* will still be losing an account. Just semantics.

Which is a violation of your TOS.
DTV = Digital Television

#320 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

So I'd like to subscribe DirecTV or Dish based on my positive experiences with satellite technology, but examining the technical specs and HD channel lineups of these companies reveals an obvious and disappointing conclusion: they're inferior to even cable right now. I just hope that when DirecTV gets that new satellite in 2014 they finally step it up and stop letting cable and Verizon FiOS kick their ass.

You just ruined any chance of me thinking you knew what your talking about, about anything. Anytime someone tries to tell me my local cable company has good quality, much less better than DIRECTV for Hi Definition, they are not well enough informed to actually comment on picture quality IMHO. Thanks for the insight.

spam firewall