Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3181 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I actually can't think of any channel more wanted at this moment

No basic type HD is going to keep customers (or gain customers) as PAC12 at the moment in any case.....

Tell that to Alan who has the candle in the window for his CW LIL to light up in HD..

As well as H2 DIY, Fox Movie Channel..you're right the Basic wants and belly aches silenced after BBCA was added..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3182 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Tell that to Alan who has the candle in the window for his CW LIL to light up in HD..

As well as H2 DIY, Fox Movie Channel..you're right the Basic wants and belly aches silenced after BBCA was added..

People are currently switching to Dish and Cable for the PAC12 channels. I don't see them doing that over H2 or DIY, or a local LIL.

That was my point. Basic HD isn't going to hurt DirecTV's wallet if they DO NOT add it, but PAC12 might have some impact.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3183 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Maybe they are testing new HD's in an unusual way just to foil Sixo's detective work?

Posted Image
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3184 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Maybe they are testing new HD's in an unusual way just to foil Sixo's detective work?

Or testing in a new way to foil the bug in the HR34 that lets you find and watch stuff in test?

Trying to be super secretive to not breach contracts with third parties?

Unfortunately, Sixto's tests are showing up on blogs everywhere. But if Directv wanted him to stop, all they'd have to do is ask. I'm sure he would comply.

The HR34 is more likely as the bug is allowing unauthorized programming out and about. But a novel idea: fix the bug. Since only the 34 has it, it can't be that hard to fix.

The most likely of these three is the last.

But the most, most likely is that we don't know what it is.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3185 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Anyone know how many cable companies carry H2 HD? I know my local Comcrap carries H2 HD as well as E*. Looks like History Channel is moving a lot of their good shows over to H2 this fall, but D* doesn't carry that channel. Would sure like to see H2 HD added to D*'s lineup SOON!

How many cable companies? I don't know the answer. But carriage of H2 HD is … common.

I'm in the Detroit, Michigan area, and my other area cable-television providers carry H2 HD. They are…
  • AT&T U-verse (ch. 1257)
  • Brighthouse Networks (ch. 330)
  • Comcast (ch. 380)
  • Dish Network (ch. 121)
  • WOW! (ch. 278)

I think, of the basic-cable channels in the 200s and 300s channel ranges from the lineup of DirecTV, that H2 HD could be next. If I was to narrow it down to which five come next, but in no specific order, I would guess with the following.…

230 DIY Network HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
253 Lifetime Movie Network HD
271 H2 HD
304 TV Land HD

#3186 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

That was my point. Basic HD isn't going to hurt DirecTV's wallet if they DO NOT add it, but PAC12 might have some impact.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Yes there will be a subset of folks in the Pac 12 region that just have to have it and will leave. As I mentioned a long time ago in the Pac 12 thread, White has said that they would add it only if it made sense and some folks aren't going to be happy. DIRECTV might feel it would be better to add a H2 or DIY channel, which would have a much lower cost/sub then a high prices sports network that also want's a bunch of channels/bandwidth made available to it. My guess is that it's PAC 12 that's going to have to cave on this one and DIRECTV will play hardball until they do. You might want to tune into the call the Merrill Lynch/DIRECTV call this Thursday at 14:15EDT to see if it's mentioned at all.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3187 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I gotta tell ya, that Sixto guy must be one smart cookie.
I really enjoy reading the cat and mouse stuff he does concerning the test signals, etc.
I have know clue how he does it, but it sure is interesting to read.
That`s what makes this sight so cool.

#3188 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

How many cable companies? I don't know the answer. But carriage of H2 HD is … common.

I'm in the Detroit, Michigan area, and my other area cable-television providers carry H2 HD. They are…

• AT&T U-verse (ch. 1257)
  • Brighthouse Networks (ch. 330)
  • Comcast (ch. 380)
  • Dish Network (ch. 121)
  • WOW! (ch. 278)

I think, of the basic-cable channels in the 200s and 300s channel ranges from the lineup of DirecTV, that H2 HD could be next. If I was to narrow it down to which five come next, but in no specific order, I would guess with the following.…

230 DIY Network HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
253 Lifetime Movie Network HD
271 H2 HD
304 TV Land HD

I have a feeling more sports is coming, which is great, but I still am hoping for HLN,H2,LMN,FMC and TVLAND in HD.

#3189 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

mmmm... now if I can just figure out what the 8 of swords means.

Go fish... :D

~Alan

#3190 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Google says

What does SUTB stand for?
Your abbreviation search returned 2 meanings

Rank Abbr. Meaning
* SUTB Shanghai Urban Transport Bureau
* SUTB Strike Up the Band

We're getting Shanghai Urban Transport Bureau HD!!!!!??!!??
Really? If so my list is over!

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#3191 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

There are a lot of people out there waiting on their market's HD-LiL as well as those wanting their market's LiL expanded. This thread focuses MOSTLY on NATIONAL HD though... and Satelliteracer rarely talks about HD-LiL aside from the occasional pop-in in a thread asking about locals.

Besides, my signature may have confused you... I'm waiting on my ABC LiL to light up in HD. My confusing signature aside, The CW is still months away from being HD in my DMA.

Though channels like CW HD-DNS (two weeks away from my next and last rant of the year for these channels... you've been warned!), TV Land HD, and DIY HD are missing HD channels I'm personally hoping for, and continue to champion on this thread, and I have LESS THAN ZERO interest in the Pac-12 Network, I do believe they would be the channel(s) that have the highest level of importance to DirecTV to offer to their subscribers.

At least until TWC SportsNet is available in a couple of weeks! ;)

~Alan

#3192 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

S.U.T.B.

Pac-12 Network? Hopefully it would carry this game in the archives....

0fZCCAqoSwY

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#3193 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

You really know how to hurt a Stanford alumnus, espnjason. I want that video banned!

I liked how the next year at Big Game, the Stanford band re-enacted the play, only this time the trombone player made the game-saving tackle inside the 10 yard line.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3194 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

TWC Sportsnet debuts on 10/1 so that could be part of it too. Some type of combination with Pac 12.

I doubt they would add it this soon. Besides, they are full-time networks. I also think they haven't even come close to a deal yet. And they may debut on 10/1, the first regular season game doesn't start till the end of October, I have a feeling DirecTV will not see much of the Laker's pre-season.

I am the Stig.

#3195 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Pac-12 Network? Hopefully it would carry this game in the archives....

0fZCCAqoSwY

that is classic!!

#3196 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have a feeling more sports is coming, which is great, but I still am hoping for HLN,H2,LMN,FMC and TVLAND in HD.

As do I. I've mentioned it. (Especially with upcoming launches of Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD and Time Warner Cable Deportes HD.)

For those who want to give focus to the basic-cable programming DirecTV assigns to the channel ranges of the 200s and 300s (with consideration for IFC, on ch. 559, and Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel in the low-600s) … those five I mentioned, including H2, are the ones I'd figure may be more in front of the line.

#3197 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Google says

What does SUTB stand for?
Your abbreviation search returned 2 meanings

Rank Abbr. Meaning
* SUTB Shanghai Urban Transport Bureau
* SUTB Strike Up the Band

Wow, we think some people blew a circuit over Shorts HD. . . Shangai Urban Transport Bureau HD would cause heads to actually explode. :lol:

So, I think we better go with Strike Up the Band, since SR has used his band icon before. This just lets us know what that band icon means to him.

ION would seem the most likely candidate.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3198 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

You don't need to worry about G4

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118058863

A rebrand might also make the channel worth more. Wouldn't be surprised that if they turn it in to a Spike clone, that they will add it to a "all or nothing" package the next time NBC negotiates with DirecTV.

Don't think that will happen soon though, at least not this year.

I am the Stig.

#3199 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Strike Up The Bands, as in college bands at college football games. ;)

Maybe those channels are for the overflow games while the main channel will be in the 600's?

Hmmm......

#3200 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

A rebrand might also make the channel worth more. Wouldn't be surprised that if they turn it in to a Spike clone, that they will add it to a "all or nothing" package the next time NBC negotiates with DirecTV.

Don't think that will happen soon though, at least not this year.

well maybe they can merge some channels and use on the old slots for an other sports channel.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...