Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3321 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

3D has to fail first.

:goodandba

I'm obviously joking but I'm also dead serious. The industry can't keep trying to push a new broadcast format on the public every few years. The majority of consumers are now just buying HD gear. It's still new to Joe Consumer. If there is something even newer, it's 3D. That's being sold right now as the cutting edge video technology. As long as it's seen as the next step in broadcasting, you won't get the general consumer interested in something else like 4K. All you will do is confuse them.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3322 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

As to Alan's list:

"NON PREMIUM CHANNELS THAT DIRECTV CURRENTLY OFFERS IN SD, BUT NOT HD (43):"

It's not clear to me from that title. . . are all those channels offered in HD by the content providers? As Sixto said, he's only interested in polling on channels that are either available in HD or announced for short-term availability in HD. Your title doesn't address that, so I don't know if you've taken that into account or are just listing what the literal interpretation of the title would be. . . D* doesn't carry them in HD (even if there is no HD to carry).

I wouldn't think he'd want to do Spanish channels (tho you can ask) on an english language forum.

The list of channels that D* doesn't carry at all, is also a question as to the poll, at least if they've been available in the market for some time.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3323 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

As to Alan's list:

It's not clear to me from that title. . . are all those channels offered in HD by the content providers? As Sixto said, he's only interested in polling on channels that are either available in HD or announced for short-term availability in HD. Your title doesn't address that, so I don't know if you've taken that into account or are just listing what the literal interpretation of the title would be. . . D* doesn't carry them in HD (even if there is no HD to carry).

I wouldn't think he'd want to do Spanish channels (tho you can ask) on an english language forum.

The list of channels that D* doesn't carry at all, is also a question as to the poll, at least if they've been available in the market for some time.

Yep, just need a simple HD list in alphabetical order that we will use for the poll.

And please let's try to limit it to real HD channels that most people care about. Rather not have hundreds of HD channels that most people have never heard of. :)

And we may want to limit it to channels that are already in SD?

The last poll was less then 50 channels on the list, expecting this poll to be similar.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3324 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Alan - minor edit - I think it's called OuterMax, not OutMax.

OuterMax is Cinemax's channel focused on scifi/horror/fantasy. OutMax, sounds like something more targeted at the Logo audience.

I knew that... so it must have been a typo on my part. I corrected it...

I'm not aware of D* carrying the full time CSS channel SD or HD at all. They do carry some college football/basketball games that are orignally broadcast on CSS via cable and are then redistributed through ESPN Gameplan/Full Court PPV sports subscription but these are limited and SD only. So technically D* does not carry CSS at all, but I guess you could say they carry select events in SD part time?

Another Spanish language HD sports channel you could add is Univision Deportes Network HD; U-Verse is carrying it in HD now.

I added UDN and moved CSS.

As to Alan's list:

I'm not crazy about the title either. If you can think of a good title for "BASIC" channels that DirecTV carries in SD that has HD feeds available, but is not offered by DirecTV, I'd LOVE to know it.

There were three Spanish language channels in the 2010 poll. They were not included in the 2011 poll as they were not options in the DirecTV survey.

Whether a channel was available via DirecTV was not a problem for the 2010/2011 polls. I assume it won't be now either...

~Alan

#3325 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

As to Alan's list:

It's not clear to me from that title. . .

You go through channels on DirecTV's lineup that are not premium movies (mainly in the 200s and 300s channel ranges plus a few others in foreign, like Galavision, on ch. 404, and IFC, on ch. 559). Which ones only being carried in SD by DirecTV actually have a high definition feed? That's what the list means.

204 Headline News HD
230 DIY Network HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
233 GSN HD
235 Style Network HD

And so on…

Alan Gordon lists the programmers, category by category, in alphabetical order. In answer to your question, I quickly mentioned the first five in numerical order (as allocated by DirecTV).

#3326 OFFLINE   BLMN

BLMN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSouthern NH

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

tonyd79 is 100% correct... hence their exclusion from the list.

~Alan

Alan now you can add to your list GOLTV under the spanish channels only carried in SD.

TV Models: Mitsubishi WD-65C9, WD-82738 + 3DC-1000 Kit.

TV Provider: Directv (Slimline 5 Dish + World Direct Dish), Cinema Connection Kit (Wired), 2 HR24-500 Receivers

Gaming/Blu-ray: PS3 First Gen (FAT) 60GB, PS4 Launch Edition

Streaming: Roku 2 XS

Audio/DVD: Onkyo HTS-9400THX, Oppo DV-980H

#3327 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yep, just need a simple HD list in alphabetical order that we will use for the poll.

And please let's try to limit it to real HD channels that most people care about. Rather not have hundreds of HD channels that most people have never heard of. :)

And we may want to limit it to channels that are already in SD?

I'll simplify the list prior to you starting the poll (putting them in alphabetical order, doing away with the separators, etc.)

I'm not quite sure how to specify which channels constitute "real" HD channels enough to be included... :confused: Would you rather have it be just channels that DirecTV currently carries in SD and a handful of the most popular channels they don't carry at all?!

~Alan

#3328 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Like "TheBlaze"? :D

Sorry, I'm not going to stir anything up, the thread for the subscribers of the "Who Needs AMC?" service is quite enough entertainment on its own :)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#3329 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

4K...really ??

#3330 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'll simplify the list prior to you starting the poll (putting them in alphabetical order, doing away with the separators, etc.)

I'm not quite sure how to specify which channels constitute "real" HD channels enough to be included... :confused: Would you rather have it be just channels that DirecTV currently carries in SD and a handful of the most popular channels they don't carry at all?!

~Alan

My suggestion is all channels that DirecTV carries in SD but not in HD that are available in HD. I would not include channels that DirecTV does not already carry in SD (e.g., G4), and I would not include channels that do not even exist in HD (e.g., Military Channel).

#3331 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

My suggestion is all channels that DirecTV carries in SD but not in HD that are available in HD. I would not include channels that DirecTV does not already carry in SD (e.g., G4), and I would not include channels that do not even exist in HD (e.g., Military Channel).

Fair enough.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3332 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yeah... it was not done that way before, but I think we need to omit any channels that do not have HD feeds now or in the immediate future.

However... I think channels like PAC-12 Network, TWC SportsNet, EPIX, FearNet, etc. should be included in the poll.

What to do about the *plex channels though?! We know DirecTV has an agreement to carry the channels, but we don't know if they plan to offer the HD feeds.

~Alan

#3333 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm not crazy about the title either. If you can think of a good title for "BASIC" channels that DirecTV carries in SD that has HD feeds available, but is not offered by DirecTV, I'd LOVE to know it.

Hmm.

Current: "NON PREMIUM CHANNELS THAT DIRECTV CURRENTLY OFFERS IN SD, BUT NOT HD (43):"

Proposed: "NON PREMIUM HD CHANNELS THAT DIRECTV CURRENTLY OFFERS IN SD, BUT NOT HD (43):"

Still on the long and awkward side, but at least now it is complete as to the intent of the list. That's the smallest change. Or you could go "NON-PREMIUM HD CHANNELS OFFERED ONLY IN SD BY DIRECTV" which still gets there, but is a little shorter (and I like it better).

There were three Spanish language channels in the 2010 poll. They were not included in the 2011 poll as they were not options in the DirecTV survey.

Whether a channel was available via DirecTV was not a problem for the 2010/2011 polls. I assume it won't be now either...

~Alan

See Sixto's comment about keeping it under 50. I'm going to guess that was aimed at most of those not even carried in SD by D* currently. A high-profile launch on the near horizon might be an exception. . . I think OWN fit that category last time.

Edited by georule, 14 September 2012 - 09:57 AM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3334 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Or you could go "NON-PREMIUM HD CHANNELS OFFERED ONLY IN SD BY DIRECTV" which still gets there, but is a little shorter (and I like it better).

Changed it...

See Sixto's comment about keeping it under 50. I'm going to guess that was aimed at most of those not even carried in SD by D* currently. A high-profile launch on the near horizon might be an exception. . . I think OWN fit that category last time.

It will need to be trimmed quite a bit to get to 50. That first group of channels is 43 just by itself... and that's not even counting the other channels DirecTV currently offers in SD. :(

~Alan

#3335 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

However... I think channels like PAC-12 Network, TWC SportsNet, EPIX, FearNet, etc. should be included in the poll.

If you do that, you're muddying the waters of what the poll is. It now becomes a poll on two things, HD *and* new channel adds.

On a channel that hasn't launched at all yet, but is announced (I used the OWN example previously) maybe that makes sense because you don't know if D* will offer it or not yet. Otoh, if the channel has been in the market for awhile, and D* isn't offering it even in SD. . . well, now you're getting into lobbying on two issues instead of one.

#3336 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

If you do that, you're muddying the waters of what the poll is. It now becomes a poll on two things, HD *and* new channel adds.

You would need 2 polls. Which actually isn't a bad idea.

One poll that polls channels going from SD --> HD.
One poll that polls channels to be added to DirecTV that are currently not carried.

There is too much information to combine the polls.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3337 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

My last posting, from 08.01.2012, of programming DirecTV carries only in SD but which actually have available HD can be found at this link:

@ http://www.dbstalk.c...258#post3068258

Make corrections and/or adjustments wherever necessary, including that BBC America HD, Disney Junior HD, and Nat Geo Wild HD have since been added to the lineup.

#3338 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think the majority of users here want a channel in HD... so I don't really see the difference.

On a channel that hasn't launched at all yet, but is announced (I used the OWN example previously) maybe that makes sense because you don't know if D* will offer it or not yet. Otoh, if the channel has been in the market for awhile, and D* isn't offering it even in SD. . . well, now you're getting into lobbying on two issues instead of one.

EPIX made it to the TOP 30 in the 2010 poll. It was #11 in the 2011 poll. Given their recent exclusives and that 5 (soon to be 6) of the top 10 ranking channels in the 2011 poll have since been added, we can assume it would rank pretty high. I believe Pac-12 Network and TWC SportsNet would as well.

FearNet is not quite as popular of a channel, but it still made the top 20 in 2011. I think OuterMAX would be quite popular as well.

~Alan

#3339 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Amy Matthews in HD....finally!:)

That's what I'm talking about!
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#3340 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think the majority of users here want a channel in HD... so I don't really see the difference.

I think D* would, however. Pile that list up at the top with channels they don't even carry at all today, and you dilute the message about the channels we actually have a reasonable short/mid-term chance of getting in HD (i.e. those that D* already carries in SD). Oh, so-and-so was only #4 on the list. Except the top 3 were folks lobbying for what they don't have at all today.

EPIX made it to the TOP 30 in the 2010 poll. It was #11 in the 2011 poll. Given their recent exclusives and that 5 (soon to be 6) of the top 10 ranking channels in the 2011 poll have since been added, we can assume it would rank pretty high. I believe Pac-12 Network and TWC SportsNet would as well.

FearNet is not quite as popular of a channel, but it still made the top 20 in 2011. I think OuterMAX would be quite popular as well.

~Alan

I'd like to have Epix and OuterMAX in HD myself. Couldn't care less about Pac-12 Network, but that's because I live in Big 10 country, and we already have that network. :D Alright, you and Sixto work it out. . .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...