Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3421 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them .D got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the D business. I want more hd channels that why i got three hd tv so i can tv in hd.D is not the hd leading right now they falling behind and got to catch up.I'M happy with D but thet got to add more basic hd channels.Some want this channel or that channels in hd i want all channels in hd.

Edited by larry55, 17 September 2012 - 10:45 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3422 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them tthey got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the peoples want.They can't sit back and not add hd channels.we got one or two on this forms thinks they know everthing about direc business.

What? :confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3423 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

I just saw this in the LA Times, looking for more coverage on Stanford's glorious win on USC on Saturday night. I guess it was in Sunday's paper.

PALO ALTO — Larry Scott, the Pac-12 commissioner, said Saturday that talks to carry the Pac-12 Networks on DirecTV were not progressing, meaning many fans in Los Angeles could be unable to watch the USC-California game next Saturday.

"We're not close," Scott said at halftime of USC's 21-14 loss to Stanford at Stanford Stadium. "Hopefully DirecTV will listen to their customers and our fans."

DirecTV is the only one of the Southland's five biggest television services to not yet sign up with the Pac-12 Networks. DirecTV has also not yet signed up Time Warner Cable, which will broadcast the Lakers games beginning this season.

"From what they've said publicly, they don't believe their fans need it, or want it, or that we're making a fair offer," Scott said. "But as important as DirecTV is in Southern California, I'd be shocked if something didn't happen."

On Saturday, the fledgling Pac-12 Networks showed three games featuring top 25 teams, and DirecTV subscribers missed all three.

Did I mention that Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row? I don't think I did. In case anybody wants to know, Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row. :P
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3424 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

when direc get ready to add hd channels they will so call xperts on this form have no ideal what direc is doing.Direc will be adding hd channels when it right for them .D got to keep up the other providers or they will lose customers.HD channels what the D business. I want more hd channels that why i got three hd tv so i can tv in hd.D is not the hd leading right now they falling behind and got to catch up.I'M happy with D but thet got to add more basic hd channels.Some want this channel or that channels in hd i want all channels in hd.

Okay.... I realize you may be on an iPhone or Android or something.... but even on those devices you CAN actually type full sentences and type something that makes sense. I had to read the above three times just to grasp what you were actually saying.

I can't say I am a perfect writer, especially considering English is my second language. But come on.... proper communication in English is becoming a lost art these days.

Okay, [/rant] off. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3425 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just saw this in the LA Times, looking for more coverage on Stanford's glorious win on USC on Saturday night. I guess it was in Sunday's paper.

Did I mention that Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row? I don't think I did. In case anybody wants to know, Stanford has now beaten USC four years in a row. :P

Yeah... I think PAC12 is slowly starting to realize that DirecTV's walls aren't crumbling any time soon, and it is up to them to give DirecTV a better deal.

Dish and Cable might have paid X, but that doesn't mean anything. If my neighbor pays $20k for a car, and I manage to squeeze the price down to $19k for the exact same car, I may not have gotten the same deal as my neighbor, but I got a BETTER deal.

PAC12 should realize that if you want to make a sale, sometimes you have to lower the price, even if others have already paid a higher price. How much is the PAC12 network still worth after next weekend's games? No deal this week may mean the value of the network will drop like a rock without any meaningful games only exclusively on PAC12. (That said, I have not examined the schedules).

If a deal comes, it is PAC12 who will have to budge first and come up with a better offer.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3426 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

On Saturday, the fledgling Pac-12 Networks showed three games featuring top 25 teams, and DirecTV subscribers missed all three.

Or to put it another way, there were 21 games featuring top 25 teams on Saturday. Eighteen of them were on DirecTV, and only three were on the PAC 12 networks.

#3427 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Or to put it another way, there were 21 games featuring top 25 teams on Saturday. Eighteen of them were on DirecTV, and only three were on the PAC 12 networks.

:goodjob:

:icon_bb:

~Alan

#3428 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,282 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Oh, do I hear you saying that The Tree has covered the Trojans for a Presidential term?

(anyone ever take in a lecture on "active listening"??)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3429 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,282 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

My take, too.

I have asked, but not seen an answer, what important games will we miss due to Pac12's rights to some games? (And, yes, games are important, unimportant, or middling within their own context.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3430 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

My take, too.

I have asked, but not seen an answer, what important games will we miss due to Pac12's rights to some games? (And, yes, games are important, unimportant, or middling within their own context.)

We cannot really know that. Each week, the networks divide up the games that will be played three weeks out. The PAC 12 network gets to go first every third or fourth week, so there is a chance that one or two more important games will be missed. There is also a chance that no important games will be played on the week that the PAC 12 network goes first, so there might not be any important games that will be missed.

So far, the USC-Stanford game is the most important game that we have missed. The only PAC 12 game I really care about at this time is USC-Oregon, but we do not yet know who will broadcast that one. Depending on what happens during the intervening weeks, by the time that game comes around, I might not care about it, either.

#3431 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Let's continue PAC12 talk in the PAC12 topic. :)

I am the Stig.

#3432 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

i.m not going away.

#3433 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

i.m not going away.

No one wants you to. We just don't understand your post.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3434 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

So far, the USC-Stanford game is the most important game that we have missed. ...

It wasn't missed; it was nationally televised on Fox.

#3435 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

HAH

Wait till that Lakers Channel debuts...It'll be MADNESS if D* holds their ground and doesn't carry it..With all the new players they got in the off-season. WOW..!!

Here in NYC if it wasn't for Jeremy Lin when he was on the Knicks...there was a standoff with MSG & Time Warner..I remember my bar was PACKED for each game during the TWC blackout viewing my screens that have D*. Lin made both sides come to terms, that and public outcry was a disaster for TWC..

Dwight Howard/ Steve NASH ..blacked out in LA markets!!...lets see how that ship of political correctness sails for D* subs out there..if it happens..1st with PAC-12 channel absence then LAKERS channel>> ouch

#3436 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Let's continue PAC12 talk in the PAC12 topic. :)

I shall repeat. We have a topic about PAC12: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=208590

I am the Stig.

#3437 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

If every team or league starts its own network and D picks it up in the end I do not see how I will be able to pay the bill. It’s getting to high now. Back to HD Talk.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#3438 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I shall repeat. We have a topic about PAC12: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=208590

Not exactly. The mods also mentioned taking anticipation of the channel to this thread.
DTV = Digital Television

#3439 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

If every team or league starts its own network and D picks it up in the end I do not see how I will be able to pay the bill. It’s getting to high now. Back to HD Talk.

They should introduce premium sports packages. Not like NFL or MLB, but like HBO. $10 a month for a "college sports package". Then it doesn't matter if every league starts their own networks, as long as there IS bandwidth (as that is a factor) people can then choose whether they want to pay for it.

It's not going to happen of course... but it would be nice to see sports as a completely different category, instead of some sports in Choice, other sports in Sports package, and yet again others in the Spanish package.

They should include ESPN 1/2 and your local major league RSN's in Choice, and every other sports network in a sports tier. Kind of like it was on analog cable, the channels under 100.

Then, have a "basic" sports package for $10 which would have stations like ESPN News, NBC Sports Network, Universal Sports, Speed, Outdoor Network, and others.... then a "college" sports package for $10 that includes PAC12, BIG10, CBS College, ESPN-U, and potentially networks like the Longhorn Network if it is ever carried. An additional $10 will get you a "regionals" sports package for the remaining regional RSN's for their non-major league programming.

Then make it a package deal: "Pay 2, Get 3", so for $20 you get all three, and all sports possible. More expensive than the current sports package at $15, but this idea moves sports from Choice packages, and includes PAC12 and potentially room for other league/team networks.

I am the Stig.

#3440 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

so any hints or guesses on when DIY lights up the HD?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...