Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3441 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

so any hints or guesses on when DIY lights up the HD?

Probably 06:00 AM Wednesday morning, like they normally do with launches.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3442 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

If history repeats itself, the expectation is Wednesday.

EDIT: Same day, different sh*t. :grin:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3443 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

If every team or league starts its own network and D picks it up in the end I do not see how I will be able to pay the bill. It’s getting to high now. Back to HD Talk.

NY Cable companies (I didn't have satellite back then) all have had quarrels with the 2 most recent sports networks...YES in 2002 and SNY in 2006.. MSG is the oldest of the bunch (launched 1969) its been around YEARS with little dispute.
CableVision/Optimum the most notorious of the bunch..lets call them the E* of Cable disputes..
Currently they're in dispute with Tribune..meaning no WPIX Channel 11..no CW for CableVision subs..

I anticipate a spike in patrons on Thursday, when NFL Networks coverage has the NY Giants Game... Won't be on NFL Network locally for us but re-routed to a local channel..and that channel is in dispute in the Bronx (closest to the bar).

so I agree..more sports networks...more disputes..MSG Networks the most recent of the NY RSN's to have an issue last year during the Jeremy Lin run on TWC..

Edited by Santi360HD, 17 September 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#3444 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

NY Cable companies (I didn't have satellite back then) all have had quarrels with the 2 most recent sports networks...YES in 2002 and SNY in 2006.. MSG is the oldest of the bunch its been around YEARS with little dispute.
CableVision/Optimum the most notorious of the bunch..lets call them the E* of Cable disputes..

so I agree..more sports networks...more disputes..MSG Networks the most recent of the NY RSN's to have an issue last year during the Jeremy Lin run..with none other than CableVision..

We know one thing for sure:

There will be disputes between those who provide television, and those who carry television as a service to the public.

Doesn't matter if it is sports or not, disputes there will be. Switching providers doesn't really help all that much, as other carriers have different disputes. You can switch to Dish for PAC12 and more Basic HD, but you'll have to give up AMC.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3445 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

WTF is the deal with ION HD???

House premieres this Sunday and Flashpoint isn't far behind.

#3446 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Dish for PAC12 and more Basic HD, but you'll have to give up AMC.

shh you said the evil Pac-12 word...

#3447 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Let's continue PAC12 talk in the PAC12 topic. :)

Only as it applies to Dish/PAC 12 deal. Any discussion of PAC 12, or any other HD channel, coming to DRIECTV will take place here. As always anticipation discussion of HD channels belongs here. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3448 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Only as it applies to Dish/PAC 12 deal. Any discussion of PAC 12, or any other HD channel, coming to DRIECTV will take place here. As always anticipation discussion of HD channels belongs here. ;)

Mike

It's fine by me.... but why is a separate topic allowed on the discussion on TWC Sportsnet Los Angeles coming to DirecTV? Or beIN, or Longhorn Network? You yourself know how active these topics have been (okay, Longhorn not so much....) and it doesn't seem like a good idea to pile it up in this topic.

At least with the separate topics the regular HD anticipation talk about DIY, ION, etc wouldn't fall away unnoticed because of people discussing sports channels. The heat will be turned up quite a bit as the NBA Season nears and the channels from TWC haven't been added yet.

I am the Stig.

#3449 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

WTF is the deal with ION HD???

No one knows. Could theoretically happen any day as it is still in test.... but no one really knows when it will be live.

I am the Stig.

#3450 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

let get back on the hd channels .i like hln,lmn, sportman,h2 to be hd soon.

#3451 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

No one knows. Could theoretically happen any day as it is still in test.... but no one really knows when it will be live.

Ok so it is at least still up in test mode. Thanks for that update.

Having learned today they grabbed the rights to House, I now wonder if that had some kind of impact on the initial deal? As in them now wanting more money than they did previously.

Edited by Racer88, 17 September 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#3452 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yes, back to HD Channels......Hd is good! Is there anything else in test mode, outside of ION E?

#3453 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, back to HD Channels......Hd is good! Is there anything else in test mode, outside of ION E?

Yes!

DIY-HD. :)

~Alan

#3454 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,800 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

:backtotop:backtotop

If every team or league starts its own network and D picks it up in the end I do not see how I will be able to pay the bill. It’s getting to high now. Back to HD Talk.

They should introduce premium sports packages.......

Totally agree. And do game only channels, there is no need to have 50+ 24/7 RSNs on all the time that show sports movies during the summer. ;)

Now....:backtotop

#3455 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

:backtotop:backtotop

Totally agree. And do game only channels, there is no need to have 50+ 24/7 RSNs on all the time that show sports movies during the summer. ;)

Now....:backtotop

I have always wondered why FOX for example didn't simply have mostly national stuff done by one group of people for all their RSNs, and only have dedicated stuff for the pre and post game shows, as well as the games. Seems like they'd be able to cover all the same stuff, while spending a lot less money. And then they could even take a pac12 or big ten kind of approach to it all, with one main full time channels and a ton of part time game only channels to enhance it.

However, I like full time channels, as my guide data is good and consistent with them, and part time channel guide data sucks.

#3456 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

As directed by mods, PAC-12 channel (I repeat CHANNEL) addition talk can also be held here, even though it could potentially be in SD. (We don't know this for sure, as it is carried in SD by several cable providers as well).

I am the Stig.

#3457 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Still see ION E in "my channel list" on the iPhone app, but like others have said DIY is gone.

DIY also disappears from the D* online guide with 'Hide SD duplicates' checked.

Posted Image

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3458 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Or to put it another way, there were 21 games featuring top 25 teams on Saturday. Eighteen of them were on DirecTV, and only three were on the PAC 12 networks.

Or to put it another way, there were 5 games featuring top 25 teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones. Two of them were on DIRECTV, and three were on the PAC 12 networks.

#3459 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Or to put it another way, there were 5 games featuring top 25 teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones. Two of them were on DIRECTV, and three were on the PAC 12 networks.

And looking ahead over the next two weeks: There are 7 games featuring top 25 teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones. Four of them will be on DIRECTV, and three will be on the PAC 12 networks.

So over a 3 week period, if you are a west coast fan of college football you will "only" miss 50% of games featuring top 25 teams based west of the 100W meridian.

#3460 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

DIY also disappears from the D* online guide with 'Hide SD duplicates' checked.

I went down a good part of the guide and found that Outdoor Channel (ch. 606), like DIY Network (ch. 230), also did not appear. (Yes, I did hide the SD duplicates.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...