Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3501 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

was just asking..per where ION was listed in the poll (23rd)...found it odd that it jumped the line in front of so many other more noticeable HD wants.

It's not like they are paying attention to polls conducted here and working their way through them in order. Channels get added as deals are reached. Not to mention that their own research data may tell an entirely different story as to which channels are most wanted.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3502 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

was just asking..per where ION was listed in the poll (23rd)...found it odd that it jumped the line in front of so many other more noticeable HD wants.

Most likely contractual...

ion East HD also helps DirecTV fill out HD-LiL lineups in multiple East Coast markets, so it has an added benefit over some of the other channels.

~Alan

#3503 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for a non political answer Alan..

#3504 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Channels get added as deals are reached.

Thanks for a non political answer Alan..

You're welcome. :rolleyes:

#3505 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Poll ... next month.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3506 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Poll ... next month.

Forgive me for "jumping the gun," but I anticipate H2 will reside at or near the top of the poll (and can guarantee at least one vote for the number one spot). I substantially am less sanguine about the judgments of DirecTV’s “green eyeshade” personnel, whose decision is the only one that matters.

#3507 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Forgive me for "jumping the gun," but I anticipate H2 will reside at or near the top of the poll (and can guarantee at least one vote for the number one spot).

I'm going to predict H2 at #1, and TV Land #2.

My personal opinion. Beyond that, it just depends...

~Alan

#3508 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Coming next month apparently... :)

~Alan

Soon?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3509 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

H2 and TV Land would be on my list, but not at the top. I am running out of channels to want, but Universal Sports, Cooking, WE, and perhaps one or two others would be ahead of H2, and there would be a few more channels between H2 and TV Land.

#3510 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

H2 and TV Land would be on my list, but not at the top. I am running out of channels to want, but Universal Sports, Cooking, WE, and perhaps one or two others would be ahead of H2, and there would be a few more channels between H2 and TV Land.

H2 is a channel I'd like to have, but it's not on my list at all. I still agree with je4755 that it will most likely take the top spot this go around.

I think Universal Sports will be Top 10, and Cooking may very well be as well, but I don't see WeTV ranking much higher than the last one's position of #37.

~Alan

#3511 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

How we got TruTV-HD last March might be an example of that. It was planned / contracted for later in the year. SatRacer had hinted that we wouldn't see it until the fall. But fans clamored for it to be ready for the early round March Madness games and Directv was able to re-negotiate and get it earlier.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3512 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

OK. I looked at the list, and while I will be happy if we only get Universal Sports and Cooking, here are my top 15 (and I had to stretch to find 15 that are not already in HD that anyone in my household, including frequent visitors, would ever watch):

1. Universal Sports
2. Cooking
3. Investigation Discovery
4. WE
5. Ovation
6. Fox Movie Network
7. H2
8. NASA
9. Lifetime Movie Network
10. Sundance
11. IFC
12. OWN
13. TV Land
14. Sprout
15. The Hub

#3513 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

OK. I looked at the list, and while I will be happy if we only get Universal Sports and Cooking, here are my top 15 (and I had to stretch to find 15 that are not already in HD that anyone in my household, including frequent visitors, would ever watch):

Your list is a little smaller than mine... :)

• Centric
  • Cooking Channel
  • CW East (WDCW)
  • CW West (XETV)
  • Encore Action
  • Encore Drama
  • Epix 1
  • Epix 2
  • Epix 3
  • FearNet
  • Fox Movie Channel
  • FUNimation Channel
  • G4 (SD channel removed from DirecTV lineup on November 1, 2010)
  • Game Show Network
  • Gospel Music Channel
  • H2 (formerly History International)
  • IFC
  • Indieplex
  • Investigation Discovery
  • ION West
  • Lifetime Movie Network
  • Logo
  • MTV2
  • NASA TV
  • Oprah Winfrey Network
  • OuterMax
  • Ovation TV
  • PixL
  • Recipe.TV
  • Reelz Channel
  • Retroplex
  • RFD-TV
  • Sprout
  • Style Network
  • Sundance Channel
  • The Hub
  • TBN
  • TV Guide Channel
  • TV Land
  • TVOne
  • Universal Sports
  • WeTV

Though as I've stated previously, after tomorrow's additions, I would be pretty much content except for four channels.

• CW DNS (WDCW or XETV)
  • TV Land
  • Cooking Channel
  • Lifetime Movie Network

It'd all be gravy after them... :)

~Alan

#3514 ONLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

IFC is at the top of my want list. Especially with a new season of Portlandia starting in January.

#3515 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

• CW DNS (WDCW or XETV)
  • TV Land
  • Cooking Channel
  • Lifetime Movie Network

It'd all be gravy after them... :)

~Alan

That is the way I feel about Universal Sports and Cooking Channel. After that, anything else is gravy.

Not that I watch it, but my local CW is already HD.

#3516 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

That is the way I feel about Universal Sports and Cooking Channel. After that, anything else is gravy.

Yep...

With six distinct HD channels launched this year, and two tomorrow, we've seen a definite dent in people's wishlists this year. :)

~Alan

#3517 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Does tomorrow warrant a festivus pole? cause the airing of grievances are plenty...141 pages worth!

#3518 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Guessing well in advance what we'll get in high-definition additions over the next two years — prior to when D14 has been successfully launched — I figure the HD that could be feasibly added to the DirecTV lineup are as follows.

Sports
There is a priority for the brand-new programming launches of Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD and Time Warner Cable Deportes HD. Add other regionals necessary. (But not necessarily much.) And then there is Pac-12 Network HD, which appears to be tricky but, at the same time, seems inevitable.

Premium Movies
The April 2012 contractual agreement, between DirecTV and Starz Entertainment LLC, for expansion of carried Encore programming, has me looking for not only IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD but whether there will be delivery of Encore Action HD and Encore Drama HD.

Basic Cable
After DIY Network HD comes in, I feel its sister, Cooking Channel HD, will get added at a later date. Since we did get truTV HD and Turner Classic Movies HD, I look to Headline News HD for the same reason. With E! Entertainment Television HD now available to DirecTV subscribers, I believe Style Network HD will get added before 2014. And while many justly want H2 HD added, I think A&E Networks' other missing HD (on DirecTV) will come in: Lifetime Movie Network HD. I don't feel strongly that all three basic-cable Viacoms — MTV2 HD, Nick Jr. HD, and TV Land HD — will get added, but I would feel more comfy predicting the last of the three due to originally-produced series which do have name stars. Dish Network carries none of those Viacoms, so perhaps DirecTV will beat Dish to the punch.

#3519 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I don't care about IONHD (totally worthless IMO) but DIYHD will be great!

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#3520 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Sports
There is a priority for the brand-new programming launches of Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD and Time Warner Cable Deportes HD. Add other regionals necessary. (But not necessarily much.) And then there is Pac-12 Network HD, which appears to be tricky but, at the same time, seems inevitable.

The Lakers/TWC channel will probably be one of the next ones to get added, provided they can work out an agreement. The Lakers own the Southern CA market. DirecTV has already taken a risk by not adding the Pac 12, now if they choose to not add TWC Sports, DirecTV could see subs leaving in large #s.

There are 3 teams in So Cal that move the needle: Lakers, Dodgers, and USC....I don't imagine DirecTV would want to risk losing customers in the #2 media market in the country by not having both The Lakers and USC Football. What could be even more interesting is if as some early rankings say UCLA basketball could be back near the top and no PAC 12 channel........and no TWC Sports channel.....wow I could see a lot of mad customers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...