Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3521 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Basic Cable
After DIY Network HD comes in, I feel its sister, Cooking Channel HD, will get added at a later date. Since we did get truTV HD and Turner Classic Movies HD, I look to Headline News HD for the same reason. With E! Entertainment Television HD now available to DirecTV subscribers, I believe Style Network HD will get added before 2014. And while many justly want H2 HD added, I think A&E Networks' other missing HD (on DirecTV) will come in: Lifetime Movie Network HD. I don't feel strongly that all three basic-cable Viacoms — MTV2 HD, Nick Jr. HD, and TV Land HD — will get added, but I would feel more comfy predicting the last of the three due to originally-produced series which do have name stars. Dish Network carries none of those Viacoms, so perhaps DirecTV will beat Dish to the punch.

TCM may have come a few months after TruTV, but my chances of Cooking and Style getting added has actually gone down because they didn't come concurrently. That obviously has nothing to do with anything, but that's where I stand...

I STRONGLY feel we will be getting TV Land HD prior to the end of the year... heck, I'm predicting prior to November ending, but I don't really put MTV2's chances very high at ALL prior to D14.

Nick, Jr. HD?! When is that starting?!

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3522 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'm going to predict H2 at #1, and TV Land #2.

My personal opinion. Beyond that, it just depends...

~Alan

I'm going to predict that H2 does *not* land at #1. I'm not sure what will, but I bet it doesn't. It's sort of a classic "I'd like to have it, but its not my first priority" kind of channel (and I say that as someone who voted for it last time, is the highest of those left that I voted for at at time, intend to vote for it again this time, and yet don't intend to vote for it as #1 this time).

I don't think it'll land lower than #4. I think #3 is most likely, but certainly #2 is possible.

If Pac 12 gets included in the poll, that'd be my bet for #1, even tho its not truly national in extent.

FMC and TVLand are my dark horses for landing in the 1/2 slots. I expect most of the former TCM vote to migrate to FMC (including me) this time around.

Edited by georule, 18 September 2012 - 03:01 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3523 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

The only problem with all this HD (I know oxymoron... Problem and HD) are times like now when I've lost all HD for the last hour due to a heavy downpour. Signals are in the 0-49 range.

Time for better LNB anticipation the day that all the channels are HD.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#3524 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Your list is a little smaller than mine... :)

Though as I've stated previously, after tomorrow's additions, I would be pretty much content except for four channels.

• CW DNS (WDCW or XETV)
  • TV Land
  • Cooking Channel
  • Lifetime Movie Network

It'd all be gravy after them... :)

~Alan

Where is CNN Headline News???????

#3525 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'm going to predict that H2 does *not* land at #1. I'm not sure what will, but I bet it doesn't. It's sort of a classic "I'd like to have it, but its not my first priority" kind of channel.

I don't think it'll land lower than #4. I think #3 is most likely, but certainly #2 is possible.

If Pac 12 gets included in the poll, that'd be my bet for #1, even tho its not truly national in extent.

FMC and TVLand are my dark horses for landing in the 1/2 slots. I expect most of the former TCM vote to migrate to FMC (including me) this time around.

FMC was omitted from the poll in 2011 due to it's omission from the survey, but it ranked #11 in 2010. Only one channel that beat it hasn't been added yet... IFC-HD. However, in 2011, IFC was #5... and the only channel ahead of it that hasn't been added yet is H2. So... I still believe that H2 will rank above those...

TV Land is a new channel and unlike FMC, includes original programming as well as older programming, so I'm going with it as my #2, but it's possible that FMC could beat it. Given what I've heard about IFC-HD though, I'd personally be very disappointed by it ranking higher than TV Land. It's also probably the most notable channel launch since the last poll.

Pac-12 and TWC SportsNet will be some interesting wild cards thrown in the mix though... :)

~Alan

#3526 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Where is CNN Headline News???????

I have no interest in Headline News... hence it being excluded from the channels I'm interested in.

~Alan

#3527 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

I have no interest in Headline News... hence it being excluded from the channels I'm interested in.

~Alan

Agree, but I would if they went back to their original format, like their title says, "Headline News".

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#3528 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

FMC was omitted from the poll in 2011 due to it's omission from the survey. . .

Which is sort of interesting in itself. If you recall, the reason given for D* ommitting certain channels from the 2011 survey were that they either already knew there was strong feeling for them, or already planned to add them. It's hard to imagine that FMC qualified on the first account at that time. Soo. . . .and yet, it hasn't been added. It was not available in HD at the time tho, so perhaps that was the real reason it was excluded.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3529 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Also, FMC wasn't available in HD when the 2010 poll was done, and while for some voters little facts like that don't seem to impact their voting, for others it probably did --so I wouldn't take the 2010 results as dispositive for pro-FMC HD feeling now that it *is* available in HD.

#3530 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Come to think of it, the Encore HD's (also not in the 2011 poll) likely will do well too --I'll vote for them.

#3531 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Agree, but I would if they went back to their original format, like their title says, "Headline News".

Personally, I'd prefer the widescreen feed of BBC World News. It might technically not be HD but would be a much better source of world news than any of those currently available in HD.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#3532 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I feel that way about the many ((most?) channels that all drift away from their original concept to become some strange mishmash of reality and other junk (IMO) programming.

We get more channels, but I find less and less that I want to watch. Were it not for sports, I really could live without pay TV these days. I guess I'm just becoming a curmudgeon.

Still...I'm happy to see DIY in HD :)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#3533 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm not sure I'd care then either, but they might then stand a chance of being the only "news" channel that slightly interests me.

Which is sort of interesting in itself. If you recall, the reason given for D* ommitting certain channels from the 2011 survey were that they either already knew there was strong feeling for them, or already planned to add them. It's hard to imagine that FMC qualified on the first account at that time. Soo. . . .and yet, it hasn't been added. It was not available in HD at the time tho, so perhaps that was the real reason it was excluded.

Yep! I certainly expected to have FMC last year...

Also, FMC wasn't available in HD when the 2010 poll was done, and while for some voters little facts like that don't seem to impact their voting, for others it probably did --so I wouldn't take the 2010 results as dispositive for pro-FMC HD feeling now that it *is* available in HD.

Point taken...

TV Land also landed on the 2010 poll even though it had not launched yet or the foreseeable future at the time of the poll.

While it's not a must-have channel for me personally, as I've seen most everything the channel airs, FMC would be a nice addition in my mind.

I'm just making predictions... :)

Come to think of it, the Encore HD's (also not in the 2011 poll) likely will do well too --I'll vote for them.

Yep! I suspect they will do quite well too.

We get more channels, but I find less and less that I want to watch. Were it not for sports, I really could live without pay TV these days. I guess I'm just becoming a curmudgeon.

Replace sports with original SCRIPTED programming, and I agree...

~Alan

#3534 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

TCM may have come a few months after TruTV, but my chances of Cooking and Style getting added has actually gone down because they didn't come concurrently. That obviously has nothing to do with anything, but that's where I stand...

Could it be that Directv is doing these in onesie-twosies as part of the deployment of the new encoders and the transponder rebalancing, moving up to 6 channels per tp? Under this scenario, Style, Cooking, etc could easily be in one of the next rounds of upgrades.

It would be kinda fun to get a couple new HDs each month over the next year.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3535 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Could it be that Directv is doing these in onesie-twosies as part of the deployment of the new encoders and the transponder rebalancing, moving up to 6 channels per tp? Under this scenario, Style, Cooking, etc could easily be in one of the next rounds of upgrades.

Current thinking is the engineering budgets are quarterly.

Then there's contracts. I remain convinced they have some "in their pocket" contracts that they can launch HD at their discretion (understanding that their "discretion" is still impacted by a complicated mix of factors), but that list is probably getting shorter as they've actually done some of these recent launches, so "Tango --the forbidden (to broadcast) dance" is probably increasing in importance as a limiting factor again.

#3536 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

No idea...

I'm thinking no, but my conclusion isn't even an educated guess, so something could pop up in the next few months and wouldn't really surprise me.

It's just my personal feeling. Nothing more...

Current thinking is the engineering budgets are quarterly.

Then there's contracts. I remain convinced they have some "in their pocket" contracts that they can launch HD at their discretion (understanding that their "discretion" is still impacted by a complicated mix of factors), but that list is probably getting shorter as they've actually done some of these recent launches, so "Tango --the forbidden (to broadcast) dance" is probably increasing in importance as a limiting factor again.

We know DirecTV has deals for the .plex channels with no start dates announced. Beyond that, it wouldn't surprise me...

~Alan

#3537 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

We know DirecTV has deals for the .plex channels with no start dates announced. Beyond that, it wouldn't surprise me...

~Alan

They also have an option on Epix.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3538 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

They also have an option on Epix.

I was not aware...

~Alan

#3539 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

New logo HD CHANNELS 212,236,246,252,256,286.

#3540 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I was not aware...

~Alan

I recall they got the right to Epix but did not exercise it at the end of the Viacom dispute.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...