Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3561 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

I actually had to Google "Pac-12" to figure out what the fuss is. Shrug. On the other hand, ION HD will be nice to have, especially if they'll do another rerun of The Wonder Years.

Huge Wonder Years fan here - but was it recorded using film? If not, it can't be transferred to HD, can it?
Re the 2 new channels, not a huge fan of either, but I'm happy they keep on coming!

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3562 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

It's telling me I'm not subscribed to DIY even though I have Choice Extra.
DTV = Digital Television

#3563 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

It's telling me I'm not subscribed to DIY even though I have Choice Extra.

Try a reset. DIY should be included in Choice Extra and above.

#3564 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

ION East is in HD, but I think I confirmed what I already suspected. My local ION is indeed a retransmission of my local station and not a remap of 305. Channel 47 (ION) is the only local station that is not HD on DirecTV. I am mising out on the infomercials that are not broadcast on the national ION East feed. I will have to put a roter on my antenna to pick up Channel 47 OTA so I can get those informarcials in glorious HD. Channel 47 is the only one of my local station whose transmitter is off axis for a stationary antenna.

#3565 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

DIY-HD is one of the last national channels on my wish list. Now if we could get H2 and the rest of the Encore channels I'd be a happy camper. :D

Mike

Are the rest of the Encore channels broadcasting in HD now?
Go Big Red!!!

#3566 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

The feed of ION HD on DirecTV looks much better than our local ION HD station... yikes...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#3567 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Are the rest of the Encore channels broadcasting in HD now?

Only a couple.

#3568 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

More evidence that DirecTV runs the show right now. PAC-12 is getting a bit more desperate.

Just more of the same crap that D* started pulling with Viacom - I.e. their fake calls for a la carte to please the small number of people.

In my mind - Larry Scott is deadly accurate. The deal was good enough for everyone else except Directv. Why? I call shennanigans.

#3569 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Checked out ION and DIY, PQ is fine. But what's on ION that makes it attractive? Looks like lots of paid advertising and reruns of old shows. But to be honest, I didn't look very far.

Glad to see these two come on, and I know the DIY fans are very happy.

Now I'd like to see Reelz-HD and Epix HD come along soon.

As to Pac-12, meh. I've no dog in that particular hunt! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3570 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,359 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Have noticed that that both IONEHD and ion e show up in my guide even though I have chosen to "Hide SD Duplicates", probably because of the difference of spelling/capitalization.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#3571 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

In my mind - Larry Scott is deadly accurate. The deal was good enough for everyone else except Directv. Why? I call shennanigans.

Which deal? The one he claimed was identical, the one he claimed was fundamentally similar, or some secret one we know nothing about?

#3572 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

More evidence that DirecTV runs the show right now. PAC-12 is getting a bit more desperate.

Are you sure about that?.. Seems like PAC12 is digging in the heels as well. Larry Scott's remarks were a reply to what Directv was saying.

#3573 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Which deal? The one he claimed was identical, the one he claimed was fundamentally similar, or some secret one we know nothing about?

same thing.... Are we really 2nd guessing which words he uses.. If 4 out of 5 carriers are picking up PAC12, makes you think... Directv says that don't want to charge everyone for channels they don't want, but last time I checked I didn't agree to the BIG10, nor Viacom etc... This is just rhetoric.

#3574 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Does it really mattr? They got a deal done with the other large players. I think it's safe to assume they are similar. The one company that they haven't worked it out with yet is the one company that finds it self again and again publically fighting with a partner in an unprofessional manner - Directv. They continue to discount the value of their partners product (while doing nothing to meaningfully guage the interest of its user base) all while claiming to be "looking out for their customers" like they are some sort of modern day corporate robin hood.

they use this same "this content is of no value / interest to our customers" for every contract issue regardless of whether its A contract renewal or a new channel agreement. So if directv is telling me publicslly that nearly everyone they work with is providing no value - why am I doing business with directv if they don't even believe in their own product? (rhetorical question).

It doesn't matter whether it's PAC 12, Viacom, Fox, g4, Vs or whoever. It's the SSDD.

#3575 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yep. Just like the dropping of GOLTV for HD bandwith room, I don't expect any sports channels to be added before the next satellite is working. I bet we only see Basic HD and movie channels in HD. DIY and ION HD launching this morning are proof of that. If I remember right they already have an agreement for the 3 movieplex stations in HD when and if they decide to put them up.

same thing.... Are we really 2nd guessing which words he uses.. If 4 out of 5 carriers are picking up PAC12, makes you think... Directv says that don't want to charge everyone for channels they don't want, but last time I checked I didn't agree to the BIG10, nor Viacom etc... This is just rhetoric.

#3576 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Does it really mattr?

Yes, considering you said this:

The deal was good enough for everyone else except Directv.

#3577 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

The cost of programing and how these talks go now are one big reason to get all the HD you want or programing you want, you will need more than one TV provider. I don't think we will see Epix ever added, but I could be wrong. I would love to see them added, but I would also like to see new sports HD stations added too.

Does it really mattr? They got a deal done with the other large players. I think it's safe to assume they are similar. The one company that they haven't worked it out with yet is the one company that finds it self again and again publically fighting with a partner in an unprofessional manner - Directv. They continue to discount the value of their partners product (while doing nothing to meaningfully guage the interest of its user base) all while claiming to be "looking out for their customers" like they are some sort of modern day corporate robin hood.

they use this same "this content is of no value / interest to our customers" for every contract issue regardless of whether its A contract renewal or a new channel agreement. So if directv is telling me publicslly that nearly everyone they work with is providing no value - why am I doing business with directv if they don't even believe in their own product? (rhetorical question).

It doesn't matter whether it's PAC 12, Viacom, Fox, g4, Vs or whoever. It's the SSDD.

#3578 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

I love this argument - you assume because 4 of the top 5 signed a deal that it's automatically a fair deal. Is there maybe the slight possibility that they are doing whatever they can to add value to their already watered down product offerings? I can tell you that my local cable company offers nothing that compels me to switch back to them. DirecTV is WAY ahead in both technology, programming and HD. I think this is probably pretty common around the country. Anything they can do to try to add value to their service and convince people to switch AWAY from another provider is considered money well spent, regardless what it does to the bottom line or their subscribers bills.

Personally, I'd rather DirecTV dig in their heels and get a good deal than see my bill jump because of a group of channels I care nothing about. No carrier will carry every network and I'm fine with that. If it's such a big deal, switch. Quit claiming DirecTV is the devil because they're not opening their wallets to appease you. Now enough of this Pac12 garbage (there's a dedicated forum for this, guys!) and back to anticipation.

With DIY being added this morning, it's just another channel I'm glad to have. I've been watching it a lot lately and it's a welcomed addition. At this stage, the only must-have HD for me is my LiLs, however those are due to launch at the end of the year, so I should be set there.

I would love to see additional Encore, H2, Epix and any other missing premiums that may be out there, but I'm a pretty happy camper overall. :)
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#3579 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Identical and fundamentally similar are not the same thing.

#3580 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Now I'd like to see Reelz-HD and Epix HD come along soon.

I have never watched Epix, so I cannot comment on it, but Reelz is absolutely worthless as a movie channel. Perhaps Reelz has some other redeeming quality, but I only notice it when they are showing a movie that I would like to watch. I tried to watch Hoosiers last week and was extremely disappointed. I could accept the fact that it was SD, but I could not take cutting of entire scenes or the fact that it was pan and scan.

Hoosiers might have been an exception, but if that is the way Reelz treats movies, then I will not watch a movie on Reelz, even if it is in HD. A channel that is dedicated to movies should show the movies uncut and in the original aspect ratio. Otherwise, the channel is not worth the bandwidth to have in HD.

spam firewall