Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Xizer,

I know all about cable, cable cards and media center. I choose not to run a complicated setup and have a computer on 24/7. If I was single and on my own you bet I would. However to keep things simple I just run with whatever box the provider offers.

My desktop PC is pretty dated now and struggles to do some modern tasks (AMD 3700+ single core socket 939 CPU, 3GB DDR400 RAM). I choose not to upgrade it because I have a slick Sony Vaio laptop with SSD's core i7, etc... I just use the laptop more so I'm not tethered to my office. I only really use the office PC for bills because that's where my Quicken is installed.

Anyway not to get too off topic there... I'm not interested in upgrading or building a complicated media center setup when I have a baby on the way and all my money is going towards bills, home improvements and family / baby related expenses. Just to keep it simple I stick with DirecTV because out of the box it has more features that mean something to me than my local cable provider.

The other thing is I absolutely HATE how cable channel lineups are so disorganized. Why do they have to put HD channels on strange off numbers? I LOVE how on DirecTV if I want to see channel 10 in HD, we just type 10. How could it get any simpler than that. Sure some of those missing HD channels would be nice, but the ease of use factor means less headaches and I have to imagine that someday DirecTV will finally add some of the things were longing for.

Face it, not one single provider is perfect. You just have to find one where you can balance the pros and cons for yourself and your family. Yes there are a lot of cons with DirecTV. But there's a lot of con's with cable as well. There are a lot of pro's with DirecTV and cable too. Just which ones are important to you? That's the provider you decide on.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Usually they're in TEST first. gct and the gang track those.

Where can I find info about the new LIL HD that went live? I'm in NYC metro and I noticed that 47 had HD symbol near some of its programming in the guide, but I didn't bother to check. I have a feelign they added it in preparations for the Olympics, as Telemundo is the home for Olympics en Espanol.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#343 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Where can I find info about the new LIL HD that went live? I'm in NYC metro and I noticed that 47 had HD symbol near some of its programming in the guide, but I didn't bother to check. I have a feelign they added it in preparations for the Olympics, as Telemundo is the home for Olympics en Espanol.

2 channels lit up for us in NYC in HD...CH 47 and Ch 55..enjoy!

#344 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

2 channels lit up for us in NYC in HD...CH 47 and Ch 55..enjoy!

Thanks. I just re-read my post and I meant to ask something else. I was wondering if, like Sixto's national HD thread, there's a thread for new HD LiL channels, or, even better, a technical thread that shows HD LiL channels going into test, etc.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#345 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Xizer,

I know all about cable, cable cards and media center. I choose not to run a complicated setup and have a computer on 24/7. If I was single and on my own you bet I would. However to keep things simple I just run with whatever box the provider offers.

My desktop PC is pretty dated now and struggles to do some modern tasks (AMD 3700+ single core socket 939 CPU, 3GB DDR400 RAM). I choose not to upgrade it because I have a slick Sony Vaio laptop with SSD's core i7, etc... I just use the laptop more so I'm not tethered to my office. I only really use the office PC for bills because that's where my Quicken is installed.

Anyway not to get too off topic there... I'm not interested in upgrading or building a complicated media center setup when I have a baby on the way and all my money is going towards bills, home improvements and family / baby related expenses. Just to keep it simple I stick with DirecTV because out of the box it has more features that mean something to me than my local cable provider.

The other thing is I absolutely HATE how cable channel lineups are so disorganized. Why do they have to put HD channels on strange off numbers? I LOVE how on DirecTV if I want to see channel 10 in HD, we just type 10. How could it get any simpler than that. Sure some of those missing HD channels would be nice, but the ease of use factor means less headaches and I have to imagine that someday DirecTV will finally add some of the things were longing for.

Face it, not one single provider is perfect. You just have to find one where you can balance the pros and cons for yourself and your family. Yes there are a lot of cons with DirecTV. But there's a lot of con's with cable as well. There are a lot of pro's with DirecTV and cable too. Just which ones are important to you? That's the provider you decide on.

I agree, I always hated that about Comcast. Sad thing is, a lot of non-techies who have it still switch to the old SD channel cuz that's what they did before they upgraded to HD. Like you said, with D*, you can hide the SD duplicates, which are all the same place on the lineup as the HD feeds anyways (except HD feeds of part time RSN overflows and subfeeds - which are the same as SD but with -1 after them - to save bandwidth by not using a spot fulltime), so it's nice and simple.

Also I really hate how on Comcast HD channels would launch on a regional basis based on population, i.e. my friend near Minneapolis had Bravo HD (I wanted it for Inside the Actors Studio, not The Real Housewives or their clones) and I didn't even have it in SD. :mad: With D*, everyone gets all of the HD channels on the same day nationwide. :) (He has D* now too BTW).

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 05 July 2012 - 07:25 AM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#346 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks. I just re-read my post and I meant to ask something else. I was wondering if, like Sixto's national HD thread, there's a thread for new HD LiL channels, or, even better, a technical thread that shows HD LiL channels going into test, etc.

Here's where they (gct, Doctor J, P. Smith) hang out (on that topic):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203806

and here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=180503

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#347 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

The sky's the limit.

But one's wallet is not. The setup you described here costs thousands of dollars. I have 3 TV's, and the multi-room DVR setup has cost me exactly $0 dollars, provided I am on a 2-year contract. Free DVR. Free HD receiver. Free third HD receiver.

And it works, and it works well. A complicated mediacenter setup will easily cost you $800-$1000 for a "starter" setup, using Linux as the OS as Windows 7 will net you at least $150 or so as well. XBox's for your 2nd and 3d TV will cost you what, $299 each? If you really squeeze your money tight, it will still cost you $1500 just to get a basic setup going for your 3-TV house. Not including the cost to CAT5 up the house.

Although now I have my house equipped with CAT5, not everyone has, and not everyone can. And my whole-home DVR setup runs on the existing coax cables that were there when the house was here. DVR responds in seconds, plays in seconds, everything is fine.

Plus, I can use PPV right on the box, and I can use VOD right on the box, something you cannot even do with CableCard as it is a one-way system.

This all said, I DO have a media center and a media server. It is a ultra-quiet laptop I retired from general usage on top of my DirecTV DVR, used to access my media server that is a few rooms away, and used to access Internet media streams. It has become my player of choice for DVD's and BluRays. It's 4 years old but its CPU is powerful enough to play any video standard of current days.

I still have the feeling you are here just to troll and stir up the crowd. You don't have DirecTV or Dish Network, yet you join a forum discussing it. It's like you need to be convinced somehow that a DBS satellite system is good/bad, and you don't have any alternatives besides an online forum to relieve your frustrations.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#348 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

THIS!

I love this. So does everyone here. I was always annoyed that NBC was 4, and NBC in HD was 404 on Time Warner Cable. No extra channels to remember. No chances of screwing up your DVR recording by accident and getting the SD version, and you don't run out of channel numbers after 100 HD channels have been added, and you need to rework your lineup.

My mother in law is considering switching to DirecTV for this reason alone.

You only have to remember 1 channel number, and if it isn't in HD.... you see SD. And if it is launched in HD.... it will be on the same channel.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#349 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

THIS!

I love this. So does everyone here. I was always annoyed that NBC was 4, and NBC in HD was 404 on Time Warner Cable. No extra channels to remember. No chances of screwing up your DVR recording by accident and getting the SD version, and you don't run out of channel numbers after 100 HD channels have been added, and you need to rework your lineup.

My mother in law is considering switching to DirecTV for this reason alone.

You only have to remember 1 channel number, and if it isn't in HD.... you see SD. And if it is launched in HD.... it will be on the same channel.

Does somebody have a patent on "hide SD duplicates" or something? Because you'd think it'd be one of those that if you hadn't thought to do it yourself, as soon as you saw someone else do it, you'd go "Well, D'oh. . . get engineering on the phone!"
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#350 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

i'm with you. We need diy-hd!

-- rob

i am with you. Want diy hd

#351 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Perhaps the moderator of the forum where the date has been leaked has a contact within DirecTV just like we have SatelliteRacer.

And I believe that you know as well as I do that DirecTV doesn't issue a press release until a few days before the launch at most. Sometimes not even until the launch day itself. Also, adding 1 channel isn't really something to issue a press release about. It's not like they are adding 10 channels or so like in May 2010.

I would sooner expect a press release from TCM actually, as they are the ones selling advertising. :)

They don't have commercials, that's the beauty of the channel.

#352 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

i am with you. Want diy hd

It's my #1 hd want.

#353 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

The guide is a big reason I like D*. My cable company's DVR doesn't support custom guides. It's all or nothing. I have to go through the whole guide. Also locals don't make any sense. If my local is on channel 8 on D* it's channel 8. On cable it's 3 and 803. Makes no sense. At least at work (different provider) all the HD channel are in one block. That works nicely and they've got just about every channel that's in HD in HD although I think PQ suffers because of it.

I digress. Back on topic a bit. I know at work TCM has been in HD for a while and when it was first offered they had a bug icon that showed TCM HD but lately it's the same TCM icon that the SD channel carries. I can attest to the fact that most of the older movies are ran pillar-boxed so it seems they are respecting OAR.

That said TCM was at the top of my list so it's great news if it gets added. BBC A and HLN and I'm all set.

#354 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

They don't have commercials, that's the beauty of the channel.

See, I don't watch the channel much. Could have sworn I saw some advertising, but maybe they make enough money with carriage fees. The older movies must be a lot cheaper too.

I am the Stig.

#355 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

See, I don't watch the channel much. Could have sworn I saw some advertising, but maybe they make enough money with carriage fees. The older movies must be a lot cheaper too.

Fewer commercials than PBS!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#356 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Does somebody have a patent on "hide SD duplicates" or something? Because you'd think it'd be one of those that if you hadn't thought to do it yourself, as soon as you saw someone else do it, you'd go "Well, D'oh. . . get engineering on the phone!"

Well, there is a bit of history with cable on this....they started with analog channels under 100, and when they started to go digital the first 100 channels were often just "passed through" the digital box, with the channels 101 and up being 100% digital. So those channels stayed the same. Then, at some point in 2003/2004-ish they started doing 100% digital (for digital subscribers) where the first 100 channels were simulcasted in digital. This caused some issues too, as TV's on analog connections would be a few seconds faster. And it depended on the box, if you had an older box you would still receive the first 100 channels through analog.

And about the SAME time cable companies started launching their first HD channels, starting with some of the main networks, e.g. ABC/NBC/CBS etc.... with analog still being passed through some boxes, they didn't have much choice BUT to move the HD channels off to a different channel number set.

Nowadays, virtually every cable subscriber that subscribes to digital cable, will receive 100% digital channels, and it SHOULD be easily do-able to setup something similar, where the channel is either HD or SD depending on availability.

That said, a system like CableCard doesn't support SD-Duplication, so you would still have a problem, as plenty of people use them with TiVO units. (I believe CableCard 2.0 will support something similar but I haven't really read up on it, and that is still being developed.)

So in essence, it is a bit harder to engineer with Cable systems. But certainly not impossible.

I am the Stig.

#357 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Here's where they (gct, Doctor J, P. Smith) hang out (on that topic):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203806

and here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=180503

People in the Boston area got THREE BASIC HD!!

You see, DirecTV adds basic HD all the time. :D :D

I am the Stig.

#358 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

People in the Boston area got THREE BASIC HD!!

You see, DirecTV adds basic HD all the time. :D :D

just not the basic's the masses write pages & pages here about..This thread included!!

#359 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

This is off topic, but does anyone know why there are no logos in the banner info for certain channels? Destination America(286) and Sportsnet NY(639) are two examples. There are no logos int the banner, it just displays DES....and SNY......Glad to see TCMHD is coming. Waiting for HLN, H2, and DIY in HD also.

#360 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

just not the basic's the masses write pages & pages here about..This thread included!!

True indeed. It looks like though most of us are going to see some Spanish basic HD soon. It seems like Telemundo locals are launching in HD everywhere in the last month or 2, probably in preparation for the Olympics, since it is the Spanish language channel covering the Olympics.

Might not be your cup of tea, but it seems like there where Telemundo is available, chances are you'll have it in HD soon. ;)

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...