Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3581 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Getting a 721 on DYI HD on all my receivers. Reauthorization and reboot didn't correct the problem. Called DIRECTV and the CSR said they are aware of the problem that's effecting some customers and they are working on it. No ETA as to when it would be corrected.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3582 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

The deal was good enough for everyone else except Directv. Why? I call shennanigans.

tulanejosh, I can't believe your mother didn't use the same line on you that my mother used on me:

"Just because Jimmy's family does that, doesn't mean this family has to do that."

You should listen to my mother.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3583 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Getting a 721 on DYI HD on all my receivers. Reauthorization and reboot didn't correct the problem. Called DIRECTV and the CSR said they are aware of the problem that's effecting some customers and they are working on it. No ETA as to when it would be corrected.

Same here.

#3584 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have never watched Epix, so I cannot comment on it

I don't expect Epix to be added anytime soon, if ever. Especially following their Netflix/Amazon deals that really poisoned the well.

#3585 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

That and the fact that a lot of their movie content goes on other movie channels or has been on other movie channels lately.

I don't expect Epix to be added anytime soon, if ever. Especially following their Netflix/Amazon deals that really poisoned the well.

#3586 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

It doesn't matter whether it's PAC 12, Viacom, Fox, g4, Vs or whoever. It's the SSDD.

Obviouisly it does matter, since Viacom, Fox, and Versus (now NBC Sports Network) are all back on DirecTV. Try finding AMC or Big 10 network on Dish. All carriers have disputes with content providers. DirecTV is no worse than any of the others in that respect.

The way I look at it is if the Big 10 can make a deal with DirecTV, why can't the PAC 12.

#3587 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

Problem being they see other networks on the horizon that they have to set a standard for now. TWCS LA, TCS DEPORTES LA, CSN Houston, SEC Network and who knows how many others too.

Obviouisly it does matter, since Viacom, Fox, and Versus (now NBC Sports Network) are all back on DirecTV. Try finding AMC or Big 10 network on Dish. All carriers have disputes with content providers. DirecTV is no worse than any of the others in that respect.

The way I look at it is if the Big 10 can make a deal with DirecTV, why can't the PAC 12.

#3588 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Does it really mattr? They got a deal done with the other large players. I think it's safe to assume they are similar. The one company that they haven't worked it out with yet is the one company that finds it self again and again publically fighting with a partner in an unprofessional manner - Directv. They continue to discount the value of their partners product (while doing nothing to meaningfully guage the interest of its user base) all while claiming to be "looking out for their customers" like they are some sort of modern day corporate robin hood.

they use this same "this content is of no value / interest to our customers" for every contract issue regardless of whether its A contract renewal or a new channel agreement. So if directv is telling me publicslly that nearly everyone they work with is providing no value - why am I doing business with directv if they don't even believe in their own product? (rhetorical question).

It doesn't matter whether it's PAC 12, Viacom, Fox, g4, Vs or whoever. It's the SSDD.

FIOS = no deal
AT&T = no deal
Charter = no deal
Directv = no deal

Etc
etc
etc

To say all the bigs have it is simply flat out wrong on your part

#3589 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

4 of the top 5 have it. It is true after that it is slim pickings from the rest of the top 10 cable companies.

FIOS = no deal
AT&T = no deal
Charter = no deal
Directv = no deal

Etc
etc
etc

To say all the bigs have it is simply flat out wrong on your part

#3590 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Have noticed that that both IONEHD and ion e show up in my guide even though I have chosen to "Hide SD Duplicates", probably because of the difference of spelling/capitalization.

That happened for me for bbca until I restarted the dvr.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3591 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

That and the fact that a lot of their movie content goes on other movie channels or has been on other movie channels lately.

At one point, in an earlier anticipation thread, people were upset about the Epix issue and pointed out that they were launching some potentially good original programming. Now I'm reading that the woman in charge of that (Laverne McKinnon - Epix's executive vice president of original programming and development) resigned last year and they haven't worked on any of that proposed programming since! Yikes...

P.S. - Laverne is currently a consultant for Comediva and ION Media Networks.

#3592 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

More evidence that DirecTV runs the show right now. PAC-12 is getting a bit more desperate.

From what I am hearing from my business colleagues at DTV, they have seen barely a blip in churn from this which is only going to make their resolve stronger. People don't care enough about the channel to leave their platform and force them to take a deal that overvalues that product and what it delivers.

#3593 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Their position has not changed and there is no proof that it has. Note your source there. An agreement is still required.

This is my understanding as well. There is no option to carry it, though certainly if DTV wanted to pick up the phone and cut a deal, Epix would consider it.

#3594 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

same thing.... Are we really 2nd guessing which words he uses.. If 4 out of 5 carriers are picking up PAC12, makes you think... Directv says that don't want to charge everyone for channels they don't want, but last time I checked I didn't agree to the BIG10, nor Viacom etc... This is just rhetoric.

Please get the wording right. They said it was too much for everyone to pay. Too much is part of the wording. That means if the price were lower they'd accept. Or if they could tier it.

Taking out the "too much" changes the whole meaning.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3595 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

I also think they were sending a message to companies that might have the idea of starting new networks too. That if the content doesn't warrant the price we won't carry it no matter how many people want it.

At one point, in an earlier anticipation thread, people were upset about the Epix issue and pointed out that they were launching some potentially good original programming. Now I'm reading that the woman in charge of that (Laverne McKinnon - Epix's executive vice president of original programming and development) resigned last year and they haven't worked on any of that proposed programming since! Yikes...

P.S. - Laverne is currently a consultant for Comediva and ION Media Networks.

#3596 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Does it really mattr? They got a deal done with the other large players. I think it's safe to assume they are similar. The one company that they haven't worked it out with yet is the one company that finds it self again and again publically fighting with a partner in an unprofessional manner - Directv. They continue to discount the value of their partners product (while doing nothing to meaningfully guage the interest of its user base) all while claiming to be "looking out for their customers" like they are some sort of modern day corporate robin hood.

they use this same "this content is of no value / interest to our customers" for every contract issue regardless of whether its A contract renewal or a new channel agreement. So if directv is telling me publicslly that nearly everyone they work with is providing no value - why am I doing business with directv if they don't even believe in their own product? (rhetorical question).

Unprofessional? Show me one place they have been unprofessional? They have just been quiet mostly. Meanwhile, PAC 12 is in the middle of a twitter attack and a stunt with one of theirADs.

#3597 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

I think that has been part of the EPIX problem too. The price isn't right for what they are selling.

Please get the wording right. They said it was too much for everyone to pay. Too much is part of the wording. That means if the price were lower they'd accept. Or if they could tier it.

Taking out the "too much" changes the whole meaning.

#3598 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

4 of the top 5 have it. It is true after that it is slim pickings from the rest of the top 10 cable companies.

Tulane said they got a deal with the other large carriers. Clearly, this is a false statement.

#3599 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

tulanejosh, I can't believe your mother didn't use the same line on you that my mother used on me:

"Just because Jimmy's family does that, doesn't mean this family has to do that."

You should listen to my mother.

It's not just Jimmy's mother. It's the entire town.

Here's my point. The market sets the price. 40 companies with an agreement constitutes a market. Directv for whatever reason believes they deserve a better than market deal as evidenced by th fact that they are refusing similar deals that were offered to those 40 companies. And instead of just saying that - they put it on their customers by saying our people aren't interested when they have no real proof if that.

#3600 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Stats. Fun.

So do 4 out of the top 10, maybe? Kind of a different spin.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...