Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3661 OFFLINE   voltagexx

voltagexx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

It's telling me I'm not subscribed to DIY even though I have Choice Extra.

I have this going on too and I called Customer Service to see what was wrong since a red button reset didn't do the trick. They said it was something on their end that they were doing and that it would be back very soon, though the guy didn't give me any sort of timeframe estimate. We'll see I guess...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3662 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Have they asked Tony Sarigusa for his help?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3663 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well - i'll agree that Directv believes Pac12 is over-valuing their product. But then again - tell me who D* doesn't think is over-valuing their product besides themselves?

That's fair.

That is probably true, but other than G4, DirecTV has ultimatly come to an agreement. Time will tell whether the PAC 12 and the Lakers channel ends up like Versus or like G4. I am sure that DirecTV has already decided the maximum that it is willing to pay for these channels. It is up to the providers to decide if that is good enough.

Whether DirecTV carries these channels or not, DirecTV will lose money. They know what the inflection point is. For DirecTV, it is all about whether they lose more by carrying the channels or by not carrying them. If the price is below the inflection point, then DirecTV will lose less money by carrying the channels. If the price is above the inflection point, then DirecTV will lose less money by not carrying the channels. Unless the content providers bring the cost of the channels below the inflection point, DirecTV is not going to carry the channels.

#3664 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

That's fair.

I'd say to a certain degree its a fair accusation in that various negotiation posturing and strategy is obviously practiced by DIRECTV's as well.

But I find it hard to dismiss the validity of DIRECTV's point in these cases where new regional networks like the Pac-12 and TWC SN are behaving like they're ESPN or something with lots of national interest and therefore entitled to demand a high fee while included in the base packages so all of DIRECTV's near 20 million subscribers have to pay for it. :nono:

#3665 OFFLINE   rkish

rkish

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I want the Plex channels they already got an agreement for.

Maybe ovation. Some nice stuff on their and terrible, terrible SD.

Agreed on Ovation...and the Documentary Channel in HD would be a nice addition as well.
"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."

#3666 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

They did not automatically appear in my Favorites list, I had to add them.

Same here. I'm curious what software version someone has if that wasn't the case. I hope they do squash that bug eventually. Even the banners "DIY is now in HD" are hidden if ch 230 is omitted from the current view. Non techies are missing out... Unless they don't use lists at all...

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#3667 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Please take PAC 12 garbage somewhere else. 100% support for Directv, not giving in to their demands .

How do you know what their "demands" are? Just wondering because I have followed it closely and never once said "the Pac 12 has said they want this!"? If you can show me where I'd appreciate it.

If you don't want the channel that's fine, I am sure there are channels you desire that I could care less about. But calling a channel garbage becuase you don't want it doesn't really accomplish anything.

FYI: we were also told this was the place to discuss Pac 12 questions

#3668 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

The quality is pretty good. I look around sharp edges like the DIY logo and the text above it. On cables MPEG2 there's mosquito noise around logos very often. Not so much with DirecTV. I guess that's an advantage of MPEG4 and the logo detection in the new encoders. Very solid, sharp lines with no movement.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#3669 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Same here. I'm curious what software version someone has if that wasn't the case. I hope they do squash that bug eventually. Even the banners "DIY is now in HD" are hidden if ch 230 is omitted from the current view. Non techies are missing out... Unless they don't use lists at all...

I saw the banners and I never had 230 in my favorites list. Nor 305.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3670 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'm curious what software version someone has if that wasn't the case.

Since I started this...

My HR20-700 and HR23 both run 0x5d2 and my HR34 is the new 0x583. These are all the national releases. All three units added ION HD and DIY HD to my favorites by themselves.

Can I assume those folks to whose lists these weren't added had the SD versions in their favorites? I did.

#3671 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

How do you know what their "demands" are? Just wondering because I have followed it closely and never once said "the Pac 12 has said they want this!"? If you can show me where I'd appreciate it.

If you don't want the channel that's fine, I am sure there are channels you desire that I could care less about. But calling a channel garbage becuase you don't want it doesn't really accomplish anything.

FYI: we were also told this was the place to discuss Pac 12 questions

This is the very reason directv can do this. And this isn't a criticism - but they are masters at doing what in their best interests and convincing many customers that they are in fact their advocates rather than a company that is more than willing to reach into their pockets to take money in exchange for products they publically state have little or no value. (and then flip flop on when they actually sign a deal).

#3672 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Since I started this...

My HR20-700 and HR23 both run 0x5d2 and my HR34 is the new 0x583. These are all the national releases. All three units added ION HD and DIY HD to my favorites by themselves.

Can I assume those folks to whose lists these weren't added had the SD versions in their favorites? I did.

I had both in my overall favorites. I maintain two on three receivers. One is basically all channels I get that I would even have 1% interest in. (Pretty much means everything but shopping channels.) The other is HD only with one or two SD (right now just Boomerang and FMC). I had to add the new HD channels to all of them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3673 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

This is the very reason directv can do this. And this isn't a criticism - but they are masters at doing what in their best interests and convincing many customers that they are in fact their advocates rather than a company that is more than willing to reach into their pockets to take money in exchange for products they publically state have little or no value. (and then flip flop on when they actually sign a deal).

Way too cynical for me. A good company watches its customers interests because if you don't, you lose customers. I have seen no evidence that their interests and their customers (overall) are not pretty well aligned.

Same holds for Dish except when Charlie throws a fit (see AMC).

You don't keep making money over the long haul by ignoring your customers interests.

#3674 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I had both in my overall favorites. I maintain two on three receivers.

I only have one favorites list on my DVRs. I wonder if that's the difference?

#3675 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Way too cynical for me. A good company watches its customers interests because if you don't, you lose customers. I have seen no evidence that their interests and their customers (overall) are not pretty well aligned.

Same holds for Dish except when Charlie throws a fit (see AMC).

You don't keep making money over the long haul by ignoring your customers interests.

Theoretically - all correct. Except - what's in the customers interest here? Is adding pac 12 or is refusing to add it? No one can definitively say that here. Not even directv.

#3676 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I only have one favorites list on my DVRs. I wonder if that's the difference?

Maybe. Or maybe it needs to be in all favorites lists that are defined?

I can test that on the next announced (Sixto) channel.

#3677 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have never watched Epix, so I cannot comment on it, but Reelz is absolutely worthless as a movie channel. Perhaps Reelz has some other redeeming quality, but I only notice it when they are showing a movie that I would like to watch.

Reelz has started showing some exclusive/original programming lately. Two series they show are ones that I would have been watching had it been in HD.

It's not high on my priority list though...

~Alan

#3678 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Theoretically - all correct. Except - what's in the customers interest here? Is adding pac 12 or is refusing to add it? No one can definitively say that here. Not even directv.

Not definitively although they can do so in the aggragate. The same principles apply in pricing a product. You judge what the price point is that makes sense to the customer and to yourself.

It is clear that allowing any old price for channels is NOT in the best interest of the customer or the company itself.

They are making a judgement call. And their market research and churn are what determine if they made the right decision or not. They are NOT making the decision based upon tulanejosh or me. They are making it based upon 20 million customers.

I see no evidence that they don't make the best call based upon those 20 million customers. In fact, I see the opposite. During the Viacom dispute, they had even less churn than they anticipated. That is evidence that they are actually conservative on what they think the impact is and are exaggerating the customer voice in their planning.

None of this means they are perfect. They can make a mistake. But to attribute them as not caring about what their customer wants seems off the mark. I don't think any of the major cable and satellite providers don't care what their customer wants and they all aim to please their customer.

#3679 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I agree that no one on this board can say what is in the customer's best interest, but I do not agree with you that DirecTV cannot make that determination. As I have stated several times before, DirecTV knows what the maximum it can pay for the channel is. Above that price, it is in most customers' best interest (as well as DirecTV's best interest) not to carry the channel, because DirecTV would have to raise its price to a point that most customers would object. Below that price it is in DirecTV's interest to carry the channel because most customers will either be pleased with the decision or will not object to the decision.

I do not know what that price is, and you do not know what that price is, but DirecTV does. I do not know what the PAC 12 is demanding, but I do know that if it was below the price that DirecTV has calculated, we would already see the channel on DirecTV.

#3680 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Not definitively although they can do so in the aggragate. The same principles apply in pricing a product. You judge what the price point is that makes sense to the customer and to yourself.

It is clear that allowing any old price for channels is NOT in the best interest of the customer or the company itself.

They are making a judgement call. And their market research and churn are what determine if they made the right decision or not. They are NOT making the decision based upon tulanejosh or me. They are making it based upon 20 million customers.

I see no evidence that they don't make the best call based upon those 20 million customers. In fact, I see the opposite. During the Viacom dispute, they had even less churn than they anticipated. That is evidence that they are actually conservative on what they think the impact is and are exaggerating the customer voice in their planning.

None of this means they are perfect. They can make a mistake. But to attribute them as not caring about what their customer wants seems off the mark. I don't think any of the major cable and satellite providers don't care what their customer wants and they all aim to please their customer.

What have they done to determine whether their customers want Pac 12? Did you get a survey I didn't? Maybe they canvas DBCTalk and see a bunch of people say "Don't give in". Maybe they just look at whether their customers live and say 90% are outside of the pac 12 area and are asleep when those games play, so surely there's no interest. If there was actual proof that there's no interest across its entire customer base - i could accept that. But since there isn't - I'm dubious of their claims and true motivations.

I think the viacom example isn't really all that telling. They weren't gone for very long to actually see what the true churn impact would have been. Nearly everyone believed they'd get a deal done at some point, no one actually believed they'd really turn their back on those stations, so why leave. I would have been interested to see what would have happened if it had extended to months and months. I think it would have been a different story.

Look im not implying that directv is evil - i just think that they - like a lot of companies - will only do what they have to do to attract new customers (like giving ST away for free), and then they do the bare minimum required to keep them from considering leaving. And to me - this is an example of that.

spam firewall