Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3681 OFFLINE   wjanowski

wjanowski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Can't wait to get home and check out DIY HD. If it's there, then D* has now given me every single HD channel I care about! Woohoo!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3682 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

tulanejosh, do you realize you've made 13 posts in this thread in 5 hours on this subject?

That is certainly your right. It's a free country and I'm not a moderator.

On the other hand, you might want to get up from your computer and go for a walk.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3683 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

What have they done to determine whether their customers want Pac 12? Did you get a survey I didn't? Maybe they canvas DBCTalk and see a bunch of people say "Don't give in". Maybe they just look at whether their customers live and say 90% are outside of the pac 12 area and are asleep when those games play, so surely there's no interest. If there was actual proof that there's no interest across its entire customer base - i could accept that. But since there isn't - I'm dubious of their claims and true motivations.

Really? They need to talk to every customer to do market research? Really?

I'm sorry, but my only reaction is Really?

And you need proof? Why? Give me one reason why they should share their market research with tulanejosh, or me?

To me, the proof is the growth through bad economic times. They had continual growth (in a large part due to lack of churn) until this last quarter and still did better than almost every other major provider.

Your proof is that they haven't asked you if you want the PAC 12.

Look im not implying that directv is evil - i just think that they - like a lot of companies - will only do what they have to do to attract new customers (like giving ST away for free), and then they do the bare minimum required to keep them from considering leaving. And to me - this is an example of that.

So, you wanted proof. And yet you don't want to read the quarters and quarters and quarters of presentations where they talk about minimizing churn? Or the high cost of acquiring new customers? New customers actually cost them more until they become old customers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3684 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

I am not, but others are having that problem. According to a previous post, DirecTV is aware of the problem and is working to correct it. There was no estimated time for when it will be fixed.

I'm also getting the 'not subscribed' message.:mad:

#3685 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Today is a GREAT day, DIY HD, ION HD

Big Sky Football on 239-1 added today as well.

#3686 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

The other station I want in HD is H2.

#3687 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

How about Deutsche Welle in HD

#3688 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

hell with pac12 .

#3689 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

hell with pac12 .

Said by SEC Fan who will soon find out the SEC/ESPN plan to launch their own network....and we'll have this argument all over again if D* will add the channel. See: Pac 12, LHN, etc

#3690 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Said by SEC Fan who will soon find out the SEC/ESPN plan to launch their own network....and we'll have this argument all over again if D* will add the channel. See: Pac 12, LHN, etc

An SEC Network would be far more valuable. :)
DTV = Digital Television

#3691 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

What have they done to determine whether their customers want Pac 12? Did you get a survey I didn't?

Surveys don't really work for that. Most people will just mark it as "oh sure, I want that channel". What is a much fairer representation of who really wants a channel, is the number of phone calls they receive, and how many people (after giving their account information) report they want PAC12.

That is factual information, and information they can run reports on from their CSR software.

Then they simply run the numbers. How much does Pac12 cost us per the current offer? How many customers have we actually lost over the last month? Etc.

If in the end it turns out that not a lot of people are switching (thus little loss of income) but it would cost a lot to get it, the numbers might show they will have more money on the bottom line by not signing it.

It doesn't look like PAC12 will be carried this weekend, and that will probably mean it won't be carried at all this year. So customers are going to have to decide what is more important, keeping DirecTV or switching to Dish.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3692 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

hell with pac12 .

Is that you, Texas?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3693 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

channels i want now that directv carries in sd: universal sports, cspan,cspan 2, nasa, local my 8 (only boardcasts in sd even ota)

channels possibly coming soon: pac-12

coming in a few years: sec network (RTR)
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#3694 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

keeping DirecTV or switching to Dish.

I'll never goto DISH.. there's not 1 single NY RSN on there..Glad you brought this up..

get this..

someone called the bar a few days ago from DISH asking for a sit down and if I wanted to save x amount of money a year by switching to them..one of the supervisors took the info and scheduled for them to walk in..See we've (me being upper management) instructed all people that if they take a call to get info, call back numbers and or schedule appointments as needed we'll either give them the time of day and or blow them off cold...

SO I ask this wonderful forum I've shared many tidbits on..

HOW MANY MINUTES should I give the rep from E* when he walks in?

BACK TO HD anticipation...regarding DIY-HD

a few receivers in the bar were coming up with not purchased for DIY-HD...a few have since fixed with me doing nothing to them.. except 1 of them call it in or let it wait for whatever will happen to it?

Edited by Santi360HD, 19 September 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#3695 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

An SEC Network would be far more valuable. :)

Longhorn Network is not even in the same discussion. Now, if there was a Fighting Irish Network, that would equate to the Longhorn Network and would probably draw more viewers.

An SEC network would be more like the Big 10 network but with many more viewers. The big thing that make the PAC 12 network so unappealing to DirecTV is the six regional channels. If the PAC 12 started out using the Big 10 model, DirecTV would have been much more interested.

The other difference between the PAC 12 and SEC is the fan support. The PAC 12 has nothing that can compare with Alabama football or Kentucky basketball when it comes to fan support (not to slight Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, etc, but I do not believe even they can outdraw Alabama in football or Kentucky in basketball - win a game against them every once in a while, sure, but put more fans in the seats at every game, not likely).

When Kentucky played Utah in the 1998 NCAA basletball championship game, Sports Illlustrated announced that if Kentucky wins, there would be a special edition, but if Utah wins, there would not be, because SI did not think they could sell enough copies to make it worth their while. It is not just DirecTV and SI that knows that the SEC will draw more than the PAC 12. Why did ESPN enter into a 23 year deal with the SEC? It is because they know that they can sell the SEC. I do not live in an SEC city (or state, for that matter), but my local TV station carries SEC games on a sub-channel. Fortunately, I can usually get the same game in HD on Fox Sports South on DirecTV, but my point is that the SEC has such a large following, even outside of the SEC footprint, that channels want the SEC games.

Since every SEC football and basketball game and many other SEC sporting events (women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming) are already televised, it is very unlikely that the SEC will create a network in a way that DirecTV would not carry it - in HD.

#3696 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

DIY HD is finally working for me.
DTV = Digital Television

#3697 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

An SEC network would be more like the Big 10 network but with many more viewers. The big thing that make the PAC 12 network so unappealing to DirecTV is the six regional channels. If the PAC 12 started out using the Big 10 model, DirecTV would have been much more interested.

The other difference between the PAC 12 and SEC is the fan support. The PAC 12 has nothing that can compare with Alabama football or Kentucky basketball when it comes to fan support (not to slight Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, etc, but I do not believe even they can outdraw Alabama in football or Kentucky in basketball - win a game against them every once in a while, sure, but put more fans in the seats at every game, not likely).

Sorry, but a few faults with your argument.......first can I introduce you to a little program called UCLA? Yes a PAC 12 school that in many ways changed College Basketball, still to this day students in college study "the pryamid of success." As for following, I'll give you Alabama, but right behind them is USC in Nat'l following. As for the Big10 network, they show 3rd/4th tier games, you can't compare Pac12 to it. Pac12 has first pick some weeks on games, something B1G10 doesn't have in their current deal. As for the SEC network, from what I have read it will be the same type of program. Basically taking of the games that ESPN/CBS choose not to air.

And as for DirecTV carrying, I don't know if they would or wouldn't odds would say yes. But the network is going to be owned by ESPN--see LHN. They haven't been too successful in getting wide distribution based on the price they ask for the channel and what else they want carried along with it.

In the short term future the only channel to get carried pretty much right away will be FOX Sports One, being the current plan is to flip Speed Network into FOX Sports one.

#3698 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

DIY HD now working for me after having 721 error most of the day.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3699 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Sorry, but a few faults with your argument.......first can I introduce you to a little program called UCLA? Yes a PAC 12 school that in many ways changed College Basketball, still to this day students in college study "the pryamid of success." As for following, I'll give you Alabama, but right behind them is USC in Nat'l following. As for the Big10 network, they show 3rd/4th tier games, you can't compare Pac12 to it. Pac12 has first pick some weeks on games, something B1G10 doesn't have in their current deal. As for the SEC network, from what I have read it will be the same type of program. Basically taking of the games that ESPN/CBS choose not to air.

And as for DirecTV carrying, I don't know if they would or wouldn't odds would say yes. But the network is going to be owned by ESPN--see LHN. They haven't been too successful in getting wide distribution based on the price they ask for the channel and what else they want carried along with it.

In the short term future the only channel to get carried pretty much right away will be FOX Sports One, being the current plan is to flip Speed Network into FOX Sports one.

Yes, but USC has Lane Kiffin and we'll see how long he takes to screw that one up. :D Every job is his dream job until the next dream job comes calling.

#3700 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

What is the Vulcan translation of "plethora?"

According to the Vulcan Language Dictionary:

(pid-)mau-tan plethora a superabundance; an excess;
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...