Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3701 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Can the mods reopen the pac 12 thread please? This thread has been over run with it since its closing. Not trying to be rude but come on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3702 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

How about Deutsche Welle in HD

Great idea!....however, I'm afraid that Directv doesn't have enough imagination to add them or BBC World News or Al Jazeera or France 24 etc. etc. For whatever reason(s), they seem to have a real prejudice against international news channels.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#3703 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Why did ESPN enter into a 23 year deal with the SEC? It is because they know that they can sell the SEC. I do not live in an SEC city (or state, for that matter), but my local TV station carries SEC games on a sub-channel. Fortunately, I can usually get the same game in HD on Fox Sports South on DirecTV, but my point is that the SEC has such a large following, even outside of the SEC footprint, that channels want the SEC games.

Okay. Let's see. A few notes. First, ESPN wanted to be the Big Ten's partner. They were ticked off that the Big Ten picked Fox. (Followed by a very different coverage of the Big Ten on Sportscenter, etc., after that.)

Not sure if ESPN approached the PAC 12 or not. They may have. ESPN is not as choosy as you make them out to be. They are the purveyor of the ill-fated Longhorn Network, after all.

As for the SEC coverage. Up until now, it pretty much stinks. Outside of their national contracts with CBS and ESPN (which pretty much match those for the other major conferences including the PAC 12), they have a lot of sub-channel coverage and in 2010 (and maybe still today), their station in the Florida panhandle was SD only. Their "network" until now (and really until the future) is no more larger than the ACC comglomeration.

Yes, SEC football is popular but so are other conferences. Beyond Kentucky in basketball, their basketball footprint is pretty non-existent except when a team makes a short lived splash like the Gators did a few years back.

That being said, they are still a better sell than the PAC 12, not because of success or fan following (the PAC 12 is probably a better sell in non-football, non-basketball areas) but because of their time zone and games being available across the country when people are awake. I've made the point before, Noon, 3:30 and 7 pm ET game times sell better nationally than 3:30, 7pm and 10 pm ET.

But don't put the SEC on a pedastel. The major conferences are not all that different. SEC, PAC 12, Big Ten, Big XII and maybe the ACC if it grows football as part of its expansion are all heavy hitters.

And comparing Utah when it was not in a major conference to PAC 12 schools today is a disservice.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3704 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Can the mods reopen the pac 12 thread please? This thread has been over run with it since its closing. Not trying to be rude but come on.

There is a Pac-12 thread open here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ewpost&t=208874

I would remind all of you that this thread is about HD, not about sports. We have a whole forum for that.

IF there is anything to discuss about the Pac-12 Networks not the actual teams, a new thread may be opened.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3705 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Great idea!....however, I'm afraid that Directv doesn't have enough imagination to add them or BBC World News or Al Jazeera or France 24 etc. etc. For whatever reason(s), they seem to have a real prejudice against international news channels.

Real bummer, would be nice to see a little spice added to the HD lineup.

#3706 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

If Directv does indeed take a pass on both the Pac-12 network and the new Lakers channels, it'll be interesting to compare Direct rate increases next spring vs. what happens at Dish, Time-Warner and the others. I suspect there are more than a few cable customers that will be getting very large rate increases in the next six months, especially those out west.

Next on my HD wish list: H2, Ovation
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3707 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Is there a way to block posts that have the words "PAC 12" or better still, any references to sports in general? All of this nonsense about silly ballgames and who should or should not carry them has become extremely tiresome. If it must be talked about, it should be done elsewhere.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#3708 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I understand the frustration, I really do. It seems the big anticipation is with Pac-12 right now. That's normal, and there's every reason to think that will die down.

I have no issue with people anticipating Pac-12 in the thread in the sports programming forum, or opening up a new thread in this forum if there is actual news to report.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3709 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

If Directv does indeed take a pass on both the Pac-12 network and the new Lakers channels, it'll be interesting to compare Direct rate increases next spring vs. what happens at Dish, Time-Warner and the others. I suspect there are more than a few cable customers that will be getting very large rate increases in the next six months, especially those out west.

Next on my HD wish list: H2, Ovation

We'll have to see what providers even take the Lakers/TWC networks. Not a single one has so far.

#3710 ONLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

We'll have to see what providers even take the Lakers/TWC networks. Not a single one has so far.

Time Warner in CALI ? or all Time Warner?

#3711 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Seems that TWC is actually trying to sell it. Only because it is odd that they have a webpage urging people to ask for it from their provider. If they were going the way of Comcast in Philly, would they do that just to make it look good? Wouldn't they just sell their services?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3712 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Time Warner in CALI ? or all Time Warner?

It's Time Warner Cable owned. I'm sure they will have it on all of their systems.

EDIT: Maybe not.

http://www.multichan...st-hedge/133570

Reports have estimated Time Warner Cable committed $2 billion to $3 billion for the Lakers’ rights and that it’s seeking as much as $3.95 per month, per subscriber in carriage fees. The channels will be on Time Warner Cable’s systems in the Los Angeles market, but TWC has not reached deals with other distributors yet.

I'm not sure that is fuzzy wording saying that these two channels will ONLY (for the time being) be on Los Angeles TWC systems...or saying that they will be on all TWC systems, but specifically in Los Angeles.

Edited by Hoosier205, 19 September 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#3713 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Please don't be rude about this... some would consider Pac-12 a valid channel choice.

i am not being rude, they keep going back and fort on this subject, enough is enough.

#3714 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Real bummer, would be nice to see a little spice added to the HD lineup.

I would watch international news channels in SD.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3715 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

That being said, they are still a better sell than the PAC 12, not because of success or fan following (the PAC 12 is probably a better sell in non-football, non-basketball areas) but because of their time zone and games being available across the country when people are awake. I've made the point before, Noon, 3:30 and 7 pm ET game times sell better nationally than 3:30, 7pm and 10 pm ET..

Tonyd, I think you have hit the biggest issue and what a lot of the arguing back and forth is about. On the West Coast a game that starts at 7pm, is 10pm back east. A lot of people are asleep or don't bother to watch as the news is on. Whereas on the WC that's primetime and why many sports fans on the West Coast want the channel. Many people will watch the earlier games (9am/noon) games on the WC, but you also are battling other things going on be it kids sports, projects to be completed etc. The later afternoon games draw a larger auidence here.

That being said, we do have some benefits-10am NFL Games, 4pm NBA/MLB games when the teams we follow are on an East Coast "swing" that still gives us a good part of the night to enjoy.

#3716 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

S.U.T.B.

So did DIY-HD or ION-HD have anything to do with the S.U.T.B. post?

#3717 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

i am not being rude, they keep going back and fort on this subject, enough is enough.

I'd perhaps agree "enough is enough" for the Pac-12 on this thread and further discussion should be moved to its own thread, but this is a discussion forum which is supposed to go "back and forth" on a particular thread topic as long as the exchanges are kept respectful.

#3718 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would watch international news channels in SD.

I wish Directv would move MHz Worldview to one of the 99/101/103 satellites (preferably in HD if available). It's currently on the 90.5 satellite.

#3719 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

So did DIY-HD or ION-HD have anything to do with the S.U.T.B. post?

Yes, stands for Start Up The Bandsaw ;)

#3720 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Tonyd, I think you have hit the biggest issue and what a lot of the arguing back and forth is about. On the West Coast a game that starts at 7pm, is 10pm back east. A lot of people are asleep or don't bother to watch as the news is on. Whereas on the WC that's primetime and why many sports fans on the West Coast want the channel. Many people will watch the earlier games (9am/noon) games on the WC, but you also are battling other things going on be it kids sports, projects to be completed etc. The later afternoon games draw a larger auidence here.

That being said, we do have some benefits-10am NFL Games, 4pm NBA/MLB games when the teams we follow are on an East Coast "swing" that still gives us a good part of the night to enjoy.

First time I was in LA on an nfl Sunday, my nephew and I almost didn't get out of bed. We slept in and woke to football.

It works well for those watching but is a disadvantage for the teams because they don't get the exposure. happens in all sports.

spam firewall