Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3721 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yes, stands for Start Up The Bandsaw ;)

I like it!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3722 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Tonyd, I think you have hit the biggest issue and what a lot of the arguing back and forth is about. On the West Coast a game that starts at 7pm, is 10pm back east. A lot of people are asleep or don't bother to watch as the news is on. Whereas on the WC that's primetime and why many sports fans on the West Coast want the channel. Many people will watch the earlier games (9am/noon) games on the WC, but you also are battling other things going on be it kids sports, projects to be completed etc. The later afternoon games draw a larger auidence here.

That being said, we do have some benefits-10am NFL Games, 4pm NBA/MLB games when the teams we follow are on an East Coast "swing" that still gives us a good part of the night to enjoy.

The early-in-the-season Arizona and Arizona State games are at 7 pm for a good reason. You don't really want to play football when the temperature is >100F.

#3723 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Now that we have ION East HD, maybe DirecTV can fix an error in channel mapping. Denver, Channel 59 (KPXC), the local ION station, broadcasts the feed from ION East. DirecTV has it mapped to ION West. Maybe the DirecTV programming Gods will see this and make the appropriate correction.

#3724 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

DirecTV has it mapped to ION West. Maybe the DirecTV programming Gods will see this and make the appropriate correction.

Are you SURE it's NOT the problem in the listings from Tribune Media Services - where D* gets it's EPG info from? Have you tried going to zap2it.com & checking those listings for your local station, & see if those listings are incorrect as well?

If they ARE, then you really need to be contacting your local station (1st choice), or contact TMS & have them fix it - which should then fix the D* listings accordingly... ;)

#3725 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Are you SURE it's NOT the problem in the listings from Tribune Media Services - where D* gets it's EPG info from? Have you tried going to zap2it.com & checking those listings for your local station, & see if those listings are incorrect as well?

If they ARE, then you really need to be contacting your local station (1st choice), or contact TMS & have them fix it.

Actually, I looked in the local Denver TV listings and what was airing on ION East HD, and they were the same.

The Mountain Time zone normally uses the east feeds for pretty much everything. Network shows on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, CW, are usually recorded and delayed one hour; even so called "live" entertainment shows except fro sporting events and specials like the Oscars. Prime time is from 7 PM - 10 PM.

#3726 OFFLINE   beeper3000

beeper3000

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I wish Directv would move MHz Worldview to one of the 99/101/103 satellites (preferably in HD if available). It's currently on the 90.5 satellite.

+1

#3727 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

It's Time Warner Cable owned. I'm sure they will have it on all of their systems.

EDIT: Maybe not.

http://www.multichan...st-hedge/133570

I'm not sure that is fuzzy wording saying that these two channels will ONLY (for the time being) be on Los Angeles TWC systems...or saying that they will be on all TWC systems, but specifically in Los Angeles.

Thanks for the link..I was under the impression the spanish station was another separate channel. However if it is is just a spanish version of english sports net channel, with LA games...yeah figures it'd be in the Cali area....Good luck TWC getting other rival CABLE providers to sign up..

It'd be easier for a satellite provider to ink deals (or so one would think)...HISTORY shows that IN NY --> YES Network & SNY weren't embraced by many cable outlets on DAY 1..Same will likely happen in LA..

Edited by Santi360HD, 19 September 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#3728 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

First time I was in LA on an nfl Sunday, my nephew and I almost didn't get out of bed. We slept in and woke to football.

It works well for those watching but is a disadvantage for the teams because they don't get the exposure. happens in all sports.

My favorite experience was early Sunday morning football in Honolulu.

#3729 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

It wouldn't be the first time that Satellite Direct was incorrect, but if true, I'm surprised that they aren't doing the switch at the same time. That was my prediction... I guess we'll find out if I'm wrong tomorrow.

Looks like your prediction was wrong... :grin: I also see Tribune does not have the HD tags on any of the ION programming that is indeed in HD. My local ION HD OTA via the AM-21N is the same way.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3730 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

My favorite experience was early Sunday morning football in Honolulu.

What's that. Kickoff at 7am?

That would be cool. Games over by 1pm then out for the day.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3731 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Looks like your prediction was wrong... :grin:

As I've stated numerous times in the past, I grew up around a lot of women... so admitting when I'm wrong has never been a fault of mine. I'm surprised, but here we are. :D

I wonder if the channel switchover will still happen or if it's been cancelled?! :confused:

I also see Tribune does not have the HD tags on any of the ION programming that is indeed in HD. My local ION HD OTA via the AM-21N is the same way.

Hey... two of my DirecTV SD-LiL channels have HD tags on them. One of them's annoying (independent), and the other (ABC) is just cruel! :(

HD tags often get added later on. Not a big deal...

~Alan

#3732 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

I wish Directv would move MHz Worldview to one of the 99/101/103 satellites (preferably in HD if available). It's currently on the 90.5 satellite.

Indeed, with the second dish you can get live newscasts on MHz from AJE, France24, Euronews, and others. Unfortuantely, I don't think HD is available. Recently MHz switched AJE's newscasts from boxed on all four sides to anamorphic, so you can at least fill the screen with it with minimal degradation by using stretch mode on the receiver. Now, if they'd just do this for the others!

Channel 2183 is indeed your friend!

#3733 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Can you tell me how you get Mhz worldview on Directv?

Thanks,

Mike

#3734 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Can you tell me how you get Mhz worldview on Directv?

Thanks,

Mike

Subscribe to an international package, and add a second dish.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3735 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

i am not being rude, they keep going back and fort on this subject, enough is enough.

This is an anticipation thread , what do you expect? I'm anticipating pac12 network in HD like 10's of thousands.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#3736 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Subscribe to an international package, and add a second dish.

Not necessarily...at least the first part. I asked nicely and they installed the second dish for the 90.5 satellite without me subscribing to an international package. Besides MHz, I can see the English language news service from CCTV, China and a Filipino channel "Gem" which is sometimes in English. Unfortunately, channels are over-compressed like they are on the 101 satellite. They are part of the required PI (public interest) channels that Directv is required to carry and I think they are also pretty much required to accomodate you if you request to receive them....at least that's what I've been told.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#3737 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

You can get the Mhz network on a Roku Box. Seems less difficult than getting it in Directv. It is free on Roku, and the transmission is in HD.

Mike

#3738 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Actually, I looked in the local Denver TV listings and what was airing on ION East HD, and they were the same.

Well NOT knowing exactly where they draw THEIR listings from - did you try pulling them up in zap2it.com - just for $hits & giggles?

The Mountain Time zone normally uses the east feeds for pretty much everything. Network shows on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, CW, are usually recorded and delayed one hour; even so called "live" entertainment shows except fro sporting events and specials like the Oscars. Prime time is from 7 PM - 10 PM.

Yes, I remember this fondly, from when I used to have all the Denver (6) nets; first on C-band, then for a time on DISH - before they moved them to spot beams. :(
And from what I found on Lynsat.com - while ION DOES have a dedicated mountain SD network feed, they do NOT have one in HD (yet)...

http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-1.html

#3739 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Are the rest of the Encore channels broadcasting in HD now?

Encore Drama is the only other one in HD. I'd like to have it. I've got no idea what Encore's plans are for the the other channels but I'm hopin' they'll be in HD soon or later.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3740 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Per Wikipedia, Encore, Encore Action, and Encore Drama are available in HD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...