Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

This is off topic, but does anyone know why there are no logos in the banner info for certain channels? Destination America(286) and Sportsnet NY(639) are two examples. There are no logos int the banner, it just displays DES....and SNY......Glad to see TCMHD is coming. Waiting for HLN, H2, and DIY in HD also.

Most likely because the channels have not supplied the logo, or have not released the legal usage of said logo. The logo's are not owned by DirecTV, and DirecTV has to ask permission to use them. I would think most channels would give this permission, as it gives them a better recognition in the guide, but some might not have given this permission, or simply don't have a logo available in the format that DirecTV needs it in.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Most likely because the channels have not supplied the logo, or have not released the legal usage of said logo. The logo's are not owned by DirecTV, and DirecTV has to ask permission to use them. I would think most channels would give this permission, as it gives them a better recognition in the guide, but some might not have given this permission, or simply don't have a logo available in the format that DirecTV needs it in.

Thank you for the quick reply. Like you said, I can't see why they wouldn't want there logos visible. Maybe in the future they will display them.

#363 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Also I really hate how on Comcast HD channels would launch on a regional basis based on population, i.e. my friend near Minneapolis had Bravo HD (I wanted it for Inside the Actors Studio, not The Real Housewives or their clones) and I didn't even have it in SD. :mad: With D*, everyone gets all of the HD channels on the same day nationwide. :) (He has D* now too BTW).

Comcast could change the negotiating model and get a national, cable programmer in all areas it serves. In my Detroit area, Comcast does not carry Fox Movie Channel and Boomerang. Two big-time WTFs. (DirecTV has carried FMC since the 1990s and BOOM just shortly after it launched in 2000.) Other Comcast systems, including one that serves Ann Arbor area, carry one or both of FMC and BOOM. Not smart of Comcast.

Edited by APB101, 05 July 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#364 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

THIS!

I love this. So does everyone here.…

My mother in law is considering switching to DirecTV for this reason alone.…

Good issue [orderly/disorderly channel allocations]. And I appreciate, and even mean to praise, the setup from DirecTV. And if I was with Dish Network, I'd feel the same about that company.

In my area, two cable providers (Comcast and WOW!) have no particular order. A third, AT&T U-verse, takes the SD channel number and assigns the HD at a corresponding +1,000.

It makes me feel for people who get confused. The channels allocation from the nation's No. 1 cable-television provider is really FUBAR, especially here in the Detroit, Michigan market. And in my state, Comcast is also No. 1.

Comcast, here, begins national cable HD around ch. 180, and then it sticks primary premium-movie screens of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and Showtime, as well as local Detroit stations, right in between while more basic-cable's HD are assigned throughout the 200s, part of the 300s, then part of the 700s, and some at the tail end of the 900s. It is likely because it is behind on doing what it needs to do (beyond my area): put out an orgainized lineup that could be controlled. Let the locals (and a given area's access programming) be controlled by each market's franchise. Then use a uniform and organized lineup for national cable programming. (Separate east- and west-coast numbers: east-coast feeds, in states on Eastern and Central time, on an odd-numbered channel; west-coast feeds, in states on Moutain and Pacific time, on an even number immediately following east-coast counterparts.)

I thank DirecTV for not having a chaotic, disorganized, and :lol: FUBAR :lol: channel allocations lineup. A bonus reason for keeping me as a subscriber nearly 15 years.

#365 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Comcast could change the negotiating model and get a national, cable programmer in all areas it serves. In my Detroit area, Comcast does not carry Fox Movie Channel and Boomerang. Two big-time WTFs. (DirecTV has carried FMC since the 1990s and BOOM just shortly after it launched in 2000.) Other Comcast systems carry both FMC and BOOM. Not smart of Comcast.

They do negogiate nationally. The problem with Comcast is that not all systems are equal so the local system has to decide what to carry (not sure if that decision is made locally or from headquarters). I know for a fact that the Comcast system in my locality cannot handle anywhere near the HD that the next jurisdiction over can handle. (Older, crappy SA system.)

Comcast was "built" mostly by buying local cable systems. Many of them failing financially. They are working to bring things up to date but it is taking years.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#366 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Most likely because the channels have not supplied the logo, or have not released the legal usage of said logo. The logo's are not owned by DirecTV, and DirecTV has to ask permission to use them.…

I think you're right. Also, the good thing about using those programmers' logos has to do with immediate identification. A connection with the brands. Some are iconic (CNN, MTV). And, when a programmer goes throgh a change (like TV Land), it can also feel fresh.

Perhaps there could be a thread, here at DBSTalk.com, on favorite cable-programmers' logos. (I'm not starting one.)

#367 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

They do negogiate nationally. The problem with Comcast is that not all systems are equal so the local system has to decide what to carry (not sure if that decision is made locally or from headquarters). I know for a fact that the Comcast system in my locality cannot handle anywhere near the HD that the next jurisdiction over can handle. (Older, crappy SA system.)

Comcast was "built" mostly by buying local cable systems. Many of them failing financially. They are working to bring things up to date but it is taking years.

also each are has it's own local channels and other stuff.

Also there may be old deals still in place in each area over some of the channels.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#368 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Good issue [orderly/disorderly channel allocations]. And I appreciate, and even mean to praise, the setup from DirecTV. And if I was with Dish Network, I'd feel the same about that company.

In my area, two cable providers (Comcast and WOW!) have no particular order. A third, AT&T U-verse, takes the SD channel number and assigns the HD at a corresponding +1,000.

It makes me feel for people who get confused. The channels allocation from the nation's No. 1 cable-television provider is really FUBAR, especially here in the Detroit, Michigan market. And in my state, Comcast is also No. 1.

Comcast, here, begins national cable HD around ch. 180, and then it sticks primary premium-movie screens of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and Showtime, as well as local Detroit stations, right in between while more basic-cable's HD are assigned throughout the 200s, part of the 300s, then part of the 700s, and some at the tail end of the 900s. It is likely because it is behind on doing what it needs to do (beyond my area): put out an orgainized lineup that could be controlled. Let the locals (and a given area's access programming) be controlled by each market's franchise. Then use a uniform and organized lineup for national cable programming. (Separate east- and west-coast numbers: east-coast feeds, in states on Eastern and Central time, on an odd-numbered channel; west-coast feeds, in states on Moutain and Pacific time, on an even number immediately following east-coast counterparts.)

I thank DirecTV for not having a chaotic, disorganized, and :lol: FUBAR :lol: channel allocations lineup. A bonus reason for keeping me as a subscriber nearly 15 years.

Comcast Chicago land is real bad in that way as the channel number mess stated in the pre Comcast days and after comcast took over and they moved old analog to digital on new numbers.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#369 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

There are some other issues at play as well.... such as the Adelphia acquisition by Time Warner Cable and Comcast in 2008. That included rights to channels that e.g. Comcast or Time Warner did not have, or the other way around. They also re-consolidated their networks.

For instance, Los Angeles was roughly divided equally between Comcast, Adelphia, and Time Warner Cable, each having about one-third of the market, with about 5% on Charter. (I am leaving South-OC on Cox out of this completely). Time Warner got ALL of Comcast, ALL of Adelphia, and basically grew from roughly 30% to 90% overnight. In other cities, Time Warner Cable moved aside and Comcast took control of that market.

My mother-in-law was ex-Adelphia-now-TWC, and I was TWC. Channel lineups STILL have not changed from their Adelphia lineup standards, and she still has a Adelphia-branded Motorola DVR. Even now, there are differences in channel offerings. Not so much in actual different channels any more as more and more contracts expired, and have been re-negotiated for all the newly acquired (and lost) territories.

When all this went down, where there WERE difference between Comcast, Adelphia, and Time Warner, the now controlling company would not have automatically only put THEIR channels on.... channels Adelphia had, but TWC did not, had their contracts switched to TWC or Comcast, and the channels remained.

And indeed.... local markets have a say in things. Especially on the HD side, where they may not have the capacity for certain HD channels, or they don't have a feed setup. Where DirecTV receives all of their feeds by satellite in Los Angeles, (with a East Coast backup facility), each of the cable networks receive their feeds independently in each major market area. As such, the technology in each major market area needs to be there to receive them all. Additionally, there is some more technology that needs to be added for things like local commercial insertion, etc.

It has been this way since the dawn of cable.... in the beginning days of cable it was also about capacity, and many cable stations were more regional anyways. Analog cable had limited expansion, and it sometimes wasn't even possible to carry the newer stations, especially at the dawn of digital cable in the late 90ies, when new stations were launched, but could not be carried everywhere due to lack of digital cable.

TWC in Los Angeles is STILL a mess, dealing with the history from Comcast, Adelphia. And I would bet it is the same in cities where Comcast has to deal with history from TWC and Adelphia in a similar fashion.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#370 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

No, I'm saying that one of the posters here that is from Indiana may work for Directv.

Indiana has no DirecTV office locations. There is an office in Chicago, IL, but most offices in the various states are mostly for sales.

The people that know about anything related to new HD, most likely live and work (like SateliteRacer) in the L.A. area.

So if there is someone here from Indiana that works for DirecTV, chances are he is either an installer, or has a long commute to the Chicago office. :D

That said, installers usually don't have a lot of inside information.... if they do it is mostly about new equipment coming as they need to be trained on it. If they do have info, they know someone in the organization that feed them info.

I am the Stig.

#371 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

See, I don't watch the channel much. Could have sworn I saw some advertising, but maybe they make enough money with carriage fees. The older movies must be a lot cheaper too.

They do sell their monthly guide sometimes between movies, maybe that's what you caught. Anyway I'm very pleased to have the channel, i swore I would never post in this thread until they got it. I just hope I'm not jinxing it.

#372 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

It should be noted that the US version does not have any HD content at all. It's entirely up-converted. Not DirecTV's fault of course. Hopefully TCM gets it in gear.
DTV = Digital Television

#373 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

This is off topic, but does anyone know why there are no logos in the banner info for certain channels? Destination America(286) and Sportsnet NY(639) are two examples. There are no logos int the banner, it just displays DES....and SNY......Glad to see TCMHD is coming. Waiting for HLN, H2, and DIY in HD also.

Good question. I made a list in a new thread about it like 6 months ago or so, and most of them are still missing. No big deal, I can still watch the channel and everything, just kind of annoying.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#374 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Indiana has no DirecTV office locations. There is an office in Chicago, IL, but most offices in the various states are mostly for sales.

The people that know about anything related to new HD, most likely live and work (like SateliteRacer) in the L.A. area.

So if there is someone here from Indiana that works for DirecTV, chances are he is either an installer, or has a long commute to the Chicago office. :D

That said, installers usually don't have a lot of inside information.... if they do it is mostly about new equipment coming as they need to be trained on it. If they do have info, they know someone in the organization that feed them info.

All true, but consider that Hoosier country covers more than just Indiana.

#375 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

All true, but consider that Hoosier country covers more than just Indiana.

Okay well here's what the Wikipedia article Hoosier says, in part:

In other parts of the country, the word has been adapted to other uses. In St. Louis, Missouri, the word is used in a derogatory fashion similar to "hick" or ""white trash". "Hoosier" also refers to the cotton-stowers, both black and white, who move bales from docks to the holds of ships, forcing the bales in tightly by means of. A low-status job, it nevertheless is referred to in various sea shanty lyrics that mention hoosiers. Hoosier at times can also be used as a verb describing the act of tricking or swindling someone.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#376 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Good question. I made a list in a new thread about it like 6 months ago or so, and most of them are still missing. No big deal, I can still watch the channel and everything, just kind of annoying.

How many are in the list?..... I remember when NBC SportsNetwork launched, there was no logo in the info banner. A month or two later, the logo was displayed. Hopefully, more channels will start displaying their logos as well. BTW where has SR been regarding all the TCM HD news?? Hope to hear an update sometime soon.

#377 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

How many are in the list?..... I remember when NBC SportsNetwork launched, there was no logo in the info banner. A month or two later, the logo was displayed. Hopefully, more channels will start displaying their logos as well. BTW where has SR been regarding all the TCM HD news?? Hope to hear an update sometime soon.

Off the top of my head, I'm missing the logos for:

Tru TV HD, E! HD, We TV, Lifetime HD, NASA TV, Ion (west, not east though), IFC, SNY HD, AXS TV, Destination America HD. Also, Encore Drama only says Encore; most of the FSN and CSN affiliates (plus their overflow/alternates, most of which have none) just say FSN or CSN instead of the full affiliate name i.e. FSN (region)/CSN (region), same for all 4 Root Sports logos; other (non-CSN/non-FSN) RSN alternates are missing theirs too.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 06 July 2012 - 04:21 AM.

DIRECTV customer

#378 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Off the top of my head, I'm missing the logos for:

Tru TV HD, E! HD, We TV, Lifetime HD, NASA TV, Ion (west, not east though), IFC, SNY HD, AXS TV, Destination America HD. Also, Encore Drama only says Encore; most of the FSN and CSN affiliates (plus their overflow/alternates, most of which have none) just say FSN or CSN instead of the full affiliate name i.e. FSN (region)/CSN (region), same for all 4 Root Sports logos; other (non-CSN/non-FSN) RSN alternates are missing theirs too.

I have the TruTV HD logo... sigh... I just turned on TruTV HD and there's a video of people fighting a naked man. :nono2: I also have the logo for WeTV.

Lifetime just changed their logo, so that's probably why it's not on DirecTV yet. AXS TV and and Destination America are so new, that's probably the reason for it as well.

TV Land just changed their logo as well, but DirecTV still has the older version up! :sure:

~Alan

#379 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have the TruTV HD logo... sigh... I just turned on TruTV HD and there's a video of people fighting a naked man. :nono2: I also have the logo for WeTV.

Lifetime just changed their logo, so that's probably why it's not on DirecTV yet. AXS TV and and Destination America are so new, that's probably the reason for it as well.

TV Land just changed their logo as well, but DirecTV still has the older version up! :sure:

~Alan

Yeah same thing for all the Cinemax's, except the main east one. :sure:

DIRECTV customer

#380 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

They do sell their monthly guide sometimes between movies, maybe that's what you caught. Anyway I'm very pleased to have the channel, i swore I would never post in this thread until they got it. I just hope I'm not jinxing it.

they sell the guide, DVDs of 'classic' films and their own events. Not a problem for me
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

Protected By... spam firewall...And...