Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3821 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

There should be. You made a claim that Satelliteracer is being disrespected. I asked for your reasons for saying that. You completely avoided answering my question. I'll ask it another way. What did anyone do or say that disrespected Satelliteracer?

You weren't really that specific. You only asked if I cared to elaborate.

http://www.dbstalk.c...634#post3099634

http://www.dbstalk.c...662#post3099662

Wow. One poster mentioned that Satelliteracer's hints were non specific. Another one said that a Facebook rep for Directv told us about a new hd channel before Satelliteracer did. Both statements are true. Neither was mean spirited. You are probably more upset by these terrible transgressions than he is.

You asked and I answered.

I do not have time to go through several hundreds of pages to find the specific posts, but going back several quarters, there were a few users who flamed Satelliteracer, which caused Satelliteracer to disappear from the board for several months. The flames were certainly disrespectful and unwarranted. Those of us who have been around for a long time remember those posts. Apparently you did not see them. I cannot remember in which quarter they were, and with thousands of posts per quarter, I am not going to try to find them for you. If you do not believe that they exist, that is not my problem or Hoosier's problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3822 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

think if they had something on their plate of merit would anyone (as well as DBS posters) be belly aching to add this??
I've looked at what they broadcast and its a big sack of nothing...but whats fungus to one is gold to another..hah!

Indeed. I like my Winter Sports, and bobsledding, luge, ski jumping, and speed skating competitions are coming up..... and Universal Sports always shows a lot of those.

But hey, I find NFL Football a big sack of nothing, so to each their own. :)

There are many of us who watch Universal Sports for cycling. They have two of the thre grand tours plus a large number of smaller stage and one-day races. It is on in my house nearly 24/7 during May and from mid August until mid September.

Universal Sports also will have many of the US Olympic qualifying events leading up to the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Universal Sports covers about as much cycling as NBC Sports Network does, I find the other sports that Universal Sports covers of much more interest than the professional bull riding, NHL (not that it will be there this year), or bottom tier NCAA conferences that NBC Sports Network covers.

#3823 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I do not have time to go through several hundreds of pages to find the specific posts, but going back several quarters, there were a few users who flamed Satelliteracer, which caused Satelliteracer to disappear from the board for several months. The flames were certainly disrespectful and unwarranted. Those of us who have been around for a long time remember those posts. Apparently you did not see them. I cannot remember in which quarter they were, and with thousands of posts per quarter, I am not going to try to find them for you. If you do not believe that they exist, that is not my problem or Hoosier's problem.

I think Satelliteracer's posts are very helpful and I'm glad he is here. However, from what you say, apparently not everyone feels this way. With how tightly this site is moderated, if the posts you refer to were that bad, I'm sure they were removed. They certainly should have been reported if they were as you say. Satelliteracer is a big boy and I'm sure he isn't overly deterred by the negative comments of a few posters.

#3824 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

I think Satelliteracer's posts are very helpful and I'm glad he is here. However, from what you say, apparently not everyone feels this way. With how tightly this site is moderated, if the posts you refer to were that bad, I'm sure they were removed. They certainly should have been reported if they were as you say. Satelliteracer is a big boy and I'm sure he isn't overly deterred by the negative comments of a few posters.

SatelliteRacer is held to strict non-disclosure rules by his employer, DirecTV. Some people in the past have not understood why this is, and have gotten angry about it.

Also, we know that this board is monitored by media outlets. In particular, Swanni from tvpredictions.com - who regularly takes what we have come up with (mainly from Sixto and his reports, sometimes from what users are coming up with through iPhone/Android/Online guide changes, etc) and writes it as news on his websites. Where one might think this is a community where it doesn't matter that a thousand, or even ten-thousand people know what is coming, if the media starts reporting on little hints dropped here, it soon becomes accessible by millions.

It is a cat and mouse play.... DirecTV will generally stay tight-lipped to prevent their main competitor - Dish - to quickly make a deal as well and launch the same channel, and thus preventing Dish customers from switching because of the channel. Cable operators are much more open with their news because they are regulated differently, and in many states they legally HAVE to announce channel changes 30 days in advance.

In any case, we should put this to rest. SatelliteRacer is a well respected member of this community, and we know that MOST of the things he says that reveal some previously unknown information, has panned out to be correct. Sometimes things just change last-minute, and sometimes what he says is taken as a 100% guarantee causing some people to be mad at him for "not telling the truth" if a last minute change DOES happen. So he has been more careful as of late, and who can blame him?

Let's just move on to anticipating HD again. Thanks. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3825 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

reports are spewing in that the last outlet to hold out for NFL Network Time Warner have reached a deal..

as for D* HD anticipation...... Bueler? Bueler?? oh yeah DIY-HD.....Frye? Frye? ............FRYE?

#3826 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

C-SPAN

Seriously?

From P.R. Wire:

C-SPAN today announced the hiring of leading cultural icon Honey Boo Boo to host a new show covering the US Presidential election. Starting October 1st Honey Boo Boo will provide insight an analysis every night at 8pm EST. The network was confident that ratings for the show would surpass anything in their history.

When reached for comment, Anderson Cooper was speechless.

Now there's a reason to get it in HD ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3827 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,625 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I must admit that just reading through a day's worth of posts here does provide a combination of interesting information and hilarious humor. Cool Beans!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3828 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Let's just move on to anticipating HD again. Thanks. :D

Yes please! :)

I've never been a fan of talking about another poster as if he/she is not present. :rolleyes:

:backtotop

~Alan

#3829 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Anticipating HD TV Land, Fox Movie Channel, Retro & Indieplex, Encore Action & Drama. TWC SportsNet if added.

#3830 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am very happy with DIY HD , but would welcome more HD .

#3831 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

The last of the basics I want in HD are H2 and Investigation Discovery. The rest are sports and Spanish oriented.

#3832 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

The last of the basics I want in HD are H2 and Investigation Discovery. The rest are sports related.

ID in HD would be nice too. Fatal Encounters in HD would be great.

#3833 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Yes please! :)

I've never been a fan of talking about another poster as if he/she is not present. :rolleyes:

:backtotop

~Alan

Agreed. What channel is the favorite for the next HD addition? Personally, I would like to see H2, HLN, LMN, FMC, ID, or TVLAND.

#3834 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

What channel is the favorite for the next HD addition? Personally, I would like to see H2, HLN, LMN, FMC, ID, or TVLAND.

I'm predicting either TWC SportsNet or TV Land HD, but I wouldn't be surprised by H2 at all.

Personally, I'm hoping for CW HD-DNS (Fall season starts October 2nd, and my next scheduled complaint/rant is next weekend... you've been warned) or TV Land HD...

~Alan

#3835 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'd like to see H2 next.

#3836 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

With the well running dry, my focus is turning towards retaining channels. Luckily I'm with the right provider for that.
DTV = Digital Television

#3837 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would like to see the following channels added (in order of priority):

Bowling Green Sports Network
Cox Sports Television
Brighthouse Sports Network
Time Warner Cable Sports New York
CSS
Pac-12 Network
Ovation-HD

#3838 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

I would like to see the following channels added (in order of priority):

Bowling Green Sports Network
Cox Sports Television
Brighthouse Sports Network
Time Warner Cable Sports New York
CSS
Pac-12 Network
Ovation-HD

I think your tongue is stuck in your cheek! :D

#3839 ONLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

With the well running dry, my focus is turning towards retaining channels. Luckily I'm with the right provider for that.

:righton:

#3840 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

I wonder if they'd be interested in any of the Canadian Networks, maybe the CBC. I'm not sure if they run any of the big market stuff, from the U.S. I know they run some of the syndicated stuff, like game shows. The only stickler, would be Hockey Night In Canada. They're National games, with Canadian teams, so it may not be a big deal. I know some of the border area's, like here, would like to see them added to their locals package.

spam firewall