Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3861 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

you know the anticipation BUBBLE is on the SCHNEID when the last post was at (prior to mine) was at 8am on Sunday morning..

Easily my favorite post in this whole thread.

I had no idea what the word "SCHNEID" meant. I did a search, expecting the answer come from the Urban Dictionary and be some hip term I was too old to know.

It was a joy to find out that "off the schneid" is a baseball term meaning to stop a losing streak, and even better, comes from the Yiddish word "schneider" for tailor, or "one who cuts the cloth".

link

Mazel tov!
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3862 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I had no idea what the word "SCHNEID" meant. I did a search, expecting the answer come from the Urban Dictionary and be some hip term I was too old to know.

It was a joy to find out that "off the schneid" is a baseball term meaning to stop a losing streak, and even better, comes from the Yiddish word "schneider" for tailor, or "one who cuts the cloth".

link

Mazel tov!

I wonder if this is related to the fact that in many card games a "schneider" is to beat someboy that got zero points. In Gin Rummy (for money), the stakes would be "penny a point, dollar a game and double for a schneider"

#3863 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Probably right. One of the other definitions I found referenced cards. I can't remember the context but I'd bet this is it.

#3864 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

you know the anticipation BUBBLE is on the SCHNEID when the last post was at (prior to mine) was at 8am on Sunday morning..

Several of the most requested/anticipated channels have been added this year, so one can expect a less frequented thread, and now that IONEHD is available, we have no national channel in testing, nor any rumors of upcoming ones.

TWC SportsNet launches next Monday, but it has it's own thread at this time, so some anticipation is taking place there.

Speaking for myself, I'll be ranting about CW HD-DNS this weekend given that their first Season Premiere is next Tuesday (I've warned folks that my rant would be coming by then multiple times, so no complaints!).

Aside from that, a topic of discussion that interests me, or better yet, a channel appearing in testing, I expect to be a casual viewer of the thread this week. :)

~Alan

#3865 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Probably right. One of the other definitions I found referenced cards. I can't remember the context but I'd bet this is it.

I kept thinking of some sci-fi movie when I read it... :confused:

~Alan

#3866 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

There was very little posting of any kind on dbstalk Sunday. NFL?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3867 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

I don't agree with the first statement.

D* delivers more full time RSNs then part time.

Full time
FS Arizona
FS Detroit
FS Florida
FS Midwest
FS North
FS South
FS Southwest
FS West
Prime Ticket
Root Sports Rocky Mtn
Root Sports Pittsburgh
Root Sports Northwest
Comcast Bay Area
Comcast California
Comcast Chicago
Comcast Mid Atlantic
Comcast New England
YES
NESN
Altitude
MSG
MSG Plus
Sports South
SNY

The part time ones are only a handful and games only. There are exceptions like the ones you mentioned, but most of the RSNs are in HD and full time.

But people in Oklahoma, Houston, Louisiana, Arkansas, and N. Mexico actually get FSN Southwest HD as the main feed, with FSN Oklahoma, Houston, etc. as a territorial thing.

In Ohio, FSN Ohio is NOT in HD at all except for the previously mentioned games.

#3868 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

it was also a great early fall day, weather-wise, in NYC metro.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#3869 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

link

Mazel tov!

I was familiar with the term, but not the spelling. In my usage, it'd mean any breaking of a bad streak (winless/scoreless/goalless) or initial points/runs/hits whatever.

I'd have spelled it "snide", and if you google "off the snide" you'll find a lot of other people would too, but I accept the Yiddish origin and appropriate spelling (I'll try to remember that for the future).
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3870 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Full House in my bar on Sunday for the NFL, and the Yankees...Day 1 with NFL Network's RED-ZONE on TWC...GULP DIDNT deliver!!

TWC didn't turn on RZ and NFLN till the evening.

However it was anticipated and expected, that nothing would go live till this Thursday's game per print media. They all touted that the 27th was NYC light up day.. Wasn't gonna cave-in and put myself back into a $300+ pinch to turn on my commercial pricing for ST..I'll wait 1 more week for TWC's Red-Zone!!

Anticipation...noting but anticipation !!

#3871 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

SCHNEID...haha

#3872 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Several of the most requested/anticipated channels have been added this year, so one can expect a less frequented thread, and now that IONEHD is available, we have no national channel in testing, nor any rumors of upcoming ones.

TWC SportsNet launches next Monday, but it has it's own thread at this time, so some anticipation is taking place there.

Speaking for myself, I'll be ranting about CW HD-DNS this weekend given that their first Season Premiere is next Tuesday (I've warned folks that my rant would be coming by then multiple times, so no complaints!).

Aside from that, a topic of discussion that interests me, or better yet, a channel appearing in testing, I expect to be a casual viewer of the thread this week. :) as are you for CW-HD...for me its the UHF NY Metro PBS stations I anticipate for..

~Alan

you know Alan, I'm always holding hope for the remaining NYC UHF LIL stations to see the HD flip..that they pop up one day in that other forum..SIGH!! as are you for CW-HD...my plight is for the remaining NYC LIL UHF --PBS stations to see the flip and light-up..

#3873 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

you know Alan, I'm always holding hope for the remaining NYC UHF LIL stations to see the HD flip..that they pop up one day in that other forum..SIGH!! as are you for CW-HD...my plight is for the remaining NYC LIL UHF --PBS stations to see the flip and light-up..

My signature expresses my HD-LiL wishes. I try to focus solely on NATIONAL channels here in this thread... :)

~Alan

#3874 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

I was out buying my new laptop and setting it up. HBO Go & MAX Go HD looks good on it.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#3875 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Given the addition of more HBO channels last year, access to HBO Go, and the vastly improved HBO On Demand...there is a new reason to be happy with choosing DirecTV:

Apparently Dish Network is raising their HBO subscription fee $2, to $18.

Edited by Hoosier205, 24 September 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#3876 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

This is one thing I never understood, Canada can get all our channels and shows but we can't get any of theirs.

I'm in the Detroit market. CBC affliliate from Windsor, Ontario is CBET Ch. 09. All the cable providers have it; right now, Bright House Networks and Comcast carry the HD. (I'm not certain about Charter.) Exception is AT&T U-verse not carrying CBET in high def.

#3877 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well it's the last week of Q3 and nothing has shown up on Sixto's equipment, so how bout we close this thread a few days early?

I leave that it to a moderator.

#3878 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Well it's the last week of Q3 and nothing has shown up on Sixto's equipment, so how bout we close this thread a few days early?

Its only Monday, something could show up later this week.

#3879 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Its only Monday, something could show up later this week.

Where's the test data then?

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3880 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

If DirecTV reached a new agreement with somebody, well, who might it be, oh, I don't know, let's just say...

...the PAC 12...

...don't you think they'd have it on by the weekend?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...