Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3921 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Directv tweeted they are still talking to PAC-12. I take that as a hint of the future.

I was actually surprised by how many tweets directv made today talking about the lakers network and pac 12 network. My take is that if negotiations weren't taking place, they'd be quiet. So who knows, we might see both "soon".

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3922 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Cool. The back-half of Q4 usually is pretty quiet, but October doesn't have to be. . .

If you look at Sixto's Most Excellent Historical Records of Directv Channel Changes Q4 does look fairly quiet for HD additions.

SonyHD was added in Q4 2010, so it's not out of the question. And with all the rebalancing of transponders and such, there's hope that the wizards behind the curtain are making more room for things that will amaze and astound us. So keep your fingers crossed that October will be as boundiful as July and August were.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3923 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

http://www.comcastsp...net.com/houston

Comcast Sportsnet Houston turns on Oct 1.

Be nice to have that channel in time for the NBA Houston Rockets pre-season and those Conference USA football games.

seeing how Comcast Sports Southwest (AKA CSS houston) has Conference USA football games. Will it fold or be come like TCN in phlly where if you don't have it then you don't get the over flow stuff.

Ask people with RCN cable that get CSN Philly but NO overflow stuff on TCN.

Or people on fios who don't get it in HD as they only have TCN SD.

Or maybe with the teams being big owners of the network it will be like CSN Chicago where the over flow stuff was on cable / comcast only channels. BUT in Chicago that over flow use date backs all the way to sports channel days (before FSN) and the feeds where on C-BAND all along.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3924 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

http://www.comcastsp...net.com/houston

Comcast Sportsnet Houston turns on Oct 1.

Be nice to have that channel in time for the NBA Houston Rockets pre-season and those Conference USA football games.

For the Rockets and 76ers, the regular season starts on October 31st, which is a Wednesday. I would love to see both CSN Philly and Houston launch on D* that morning.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#3925 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

If you look at Sixto's Most Excellent Historical Records of Directv Channel Changes Q4 does look fairly quiet for HD additions.

SonyHD was added in Q4 2010, so it's not out of the question. And with all the rebalancing of transponders and such, there's hope that the wizards behind the curtain are making more room for things that will amaze and astound us. So keep your fingers crossed that October will be as boundiful as July and August were.

Yeah, the SonyHD add was what I had in mind for precedent for October not having to follow the usual 4Q pattern. At least not always.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3926 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well... many contracts end on the first of the year (and I believe this year it is Discovery Communications and CBS, so we may see a bunch of mudslinging right after Christmas) and that might have something to do with it. They will have already started preliminary negotiations and new HD that might be part of upcoming contracts might just be put on hold until the contracts are secured again.

Since Discovery Communications is coming up..... OWN, Investigation Discovery, and The Hub are three stations (and perhaps more, I didn't do a lot of investigating) that are owned or operated by Discovery Communications, and currently only in SD on DirecTV. It isn't unrealistic to think that Discovery might attempt to secure HD coverage of these networks during negotiations.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3927 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Well... many contracts end on the first of the year (and I believe this year it is Discovery Communications and CBS, so we may see a bunch of mudslinging right after Christmas) and that might have something to do with it. They will have already started preliminary negotiations and new HD that might be part of upcoming contracts might just be put on hold until the contracts are secured again.

Since Discovery Communications is coming up..... OWN, Investigation Discovery, and The Hub are three stations (and perhaps more, I didn't do a lot of investigating) that are owned or operated by Discovery Communications, and currently only in SD on DirecTV. It isn't unrealistic to think that Discovery might attempt to secure HD coverage of these networks during negotiations.

the military channel

#3928 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

the military channel

Yeah there is another one. Although I doubt that contract negotiations will automatically mean *all* channels will go to HD. Some probably will, but not all. Not sure which.... I'd like OWN for my wife, but the network wasn't doing too well financially earlier this year ($330 million losses since launch so far) but is on track to become profitable in the 4th Quarter 2012.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3929 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

the military channel

The Military Channel does not yet exist in HD. It would be on my list of wanted channels if it existed in HD, but so far, it only exists in 480i.

#3930 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

tcm hd, tcm 2 hd , h2 hd and military history hd r on a test channels. TCM HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9256 TCM 2 HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9569 H2 HD ON 9271 MILITARY HISTORY HD ON 9270 AND E! HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9236

DBSSTEPHEN are these still showing up in TEST on your HR23 engineering receiver?

I crossed out the ones that have already been added.

BTW, Military History Channel is different from Military Channel on D*, FIOS & U-Verse currently carry Military History but in SD only.

#3931 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

BTW, Military History Channel is different from Military Channel on D*, FIOS & U-Verse currently carry Military History but in SD only.

Yes, and according to your Wikipedia links, neither exist in HD yet.

#3932 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

H2's new season of How the States got Their Shapes prominently featured in my directv newsletter email. I like that show. Sure wish it was in HD :( it used to be on "H1"

#3933 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

H2's new season of How the States got Their Shapes prominently featured in my directv newsletter email. I like that show. Sure wish it was in HD :( it used to be on "H1"

I like the show, too. The regular History channel has a new episode on Friday October 5th. The new episodes starting on Saturday on H2 will be on H1 the following Friday.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3934 OFFLINE   bgothard72

bgothard72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

cooking channel, please!!

#3935 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

FUSEHD and many more HD,please.another local channels in HD here in Miami,tomorrow 6am channel 8 GENTV.

#3936 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Nobody had anything to say today?
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#3937 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

I was very happy with BBCA (Doctor Who), ION (Flashpoint), and DIY.

Next I'd like to see:
Fox Soccer Plus full-time
Fox Movie Channel
Cooking Channel
H2 (for my wife)

#3938 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

Has anyone heard anything about local HD? lice Lansing,MI

#3939 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

I like the show, too. The regular History channel has a new episode on Friday October 5th. The new episodes starting on Saturday on H2 will be on H1 the following Friday.

Thanks!

#3940 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

I'd like to see H2 next.

Me too. That would complete my HD wishes. Just found out that instead of the local ION being in HD, we have IONW in HD. I'm happy with that since it's all the same programming. I won't ask for more since you all know what they say. Give a person a ride, and he wants to drive.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

Protected By... spam firewall...And...