Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#3941 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Watching DIY HD every day and loving it. Would love more HD .

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3942 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

They are re-showing the detective series Luther on BBC America. I noticed that they gave it an hour, which includes 15 minutes of commercials, for a running time of 45 minutes. I then looked at downloads of Luther to see how long the actual running time is, and it is 53 minutes. So they have to cut out 8 full minutes of the story to get it into an hour.

This is just program butchery. Taking 8 minutes out of a detective program makes the story line incomprehensible, since too much is missing. I cannot understand how this can be allowed.

Any other BBC produced hour programs would receive the same butchery. If it is an ITV produced program, they have commercials in England, so you may see the whole program, but not those produced by the BBC in England.

The show "Copper" is made for BBC America, so that is made with the commercials included, thus, that would be complete.

#3943 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Me too. That would complete my HD wishes. Just found out that instead of the local ION being in HD, we have IONW in HD. I'm happy with that since it's all the same programming. I won't ask for more since you all know what they say. Give a person a ride, and he wants to drive.

My local ION and IONW are still both SD. How is it that you get IONW in HD?

#3944 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

They are re-showing the detective series Luther on BBC America. I noticed that they gave it an hour, which includes 15 minutes of commercials, for a running time of 45 minutes. I then looked at downloads of Luther to see how long the actual running time is, and it is 53 minutes. So they have to cut out 8 full minutes of the story to get it into an hour.

This is just program butchery. Taking 8 minutes out of a detective program makes the story line incomprehensible, since too much is missing. I cannot understand how this can be allowed.

Any other BBC produced hour programs would receive the same butchery. If it is an ITV produced program, they have commercials in England, so you may see the whole program, but not those produced by the BBC in England.

The show "Copper" is made for BBC America, so that is made with the commercials included, thus, that would be complete.

It all depends on how they got those extra eight minutes. Many shows in syndication are digitally speed up so that no actual content is lost. For example, if a 53 minute program is played back at 34.5 frames per second instead of 30 frames per second, it would run only 45 minutes. The software that is used, though is more sophisticated than that. It actually removes pauses between words, the transitions on scene changes, and some of the "beauty shots" (like the panoramic shots before they zoom in on what is really important) before and after the planned commercial breaks to gain time for additional commercials.

Rush Limbaugh made a big deal about the removal of pauses when his show was syndicated, because he said that he intentionally paused between words for dramatic effect. In reality, pauses like that are shortened, but not removed entirely. Most people do not notice the difference, but over the span of 53 minutes, it is easy to cut 8 minutes without removing content.

On the other hand, some programs are chopped, and I agree with you that to do so for a detective program would be unacceptable. I watched Hoosiers on Reelz several weeks ago, and they did delete several entire scenes. Even though Hoosiers was not a mystery, it is a crime that they butchered it.

#3945 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Re: Luther --The other thing you have to take into consideration, is when the producers know it is going to be done, they can make some allowances for scripting around it. Maybe not perfectly, but it does make a difference.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#3946 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

:dance:

Cheers for a the end of a very good quarter.
Thanks, Directv for giving us lots of basic HD goodies these past three months
and thanks to SatRacer for the hints.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3947 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

:goodjob:

:balloons:

:dance01:

Absolutely! At the beginning of this quarter I had an appointment for a Dish install in one week. Now, I'm with DirecTV for the duration. Thanks to everyone here....and everyone at Direct who got the channels I needed that kept me on board!

#3948 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

:dance:

Cheers for a the end of a very good quarter.
Thanks, Directv for giving us lots of basic HD goodies these past three months
and thanks to SatRacer for the hints.

Agreed, and especially to SR and SIXTO for all their input. Here's hoping for yet more HD additions this quarter.

#3949 OFFLINE   BuffaloTF

BuffaloTF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I was very happy with BBCA (Doctor Who), ION (Flashpoint), and DIY.

Next I'd like to see:
Fox Soccer Plus full-time
Fox Movie Channel
Cooking Channel
H2 (for my wife)

Any idea when their contract ends on Fox Soccer Plus? That's ripe for renegotiation... they're still on the old Setanta monthly fee. It seems most other companies now offer it within their sports packs, instead of the additional premium.

#3950 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Any idea when their contract ends on Fox Soccer Plus? That's ripe for renegotiation... they're still on the old Setanta monthly fee. It seems most other companies now offer it within their sports packs, instead of the additional premium.

Pllleeeeaase get FOX SOCCER PLUS in HD FULL TIME next D!!!!

Ben
Voodoo
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#3951 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,859 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Has anyone heard anything about local HD? lice Lansing,MI

Topeka, KS, Corpus Christi, TX, Laredo, TX, and Duluth. MN are in testing.

No word on Lansing at this time. We have a separate thread dedicated to locals which should help you keep updated on any progress.

~Alan

#3952 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,859 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Nobody had anything to say today?

With The CW's new Fall season starting next week, I'll be going on a rant about the lack of CW HD-DNS tomorrow.

I've been warning y'all for a while, so everyone knows it's coming. I may do some additional grumbling in the next couple of weeks as shows... particularly "Arrow" premieres, but then I'll most likely keep quite until next year, so everyone will get a break. :)

~Alan

#3953 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

i wish our cw here was hd.it a sub channel of wtvy .cbs on wtvy is hd and local program is hd 4.1. cw is 4.3 .

#3954 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

My local ION and IONW are still both SD. How is it that you get IONW in HD?

My mistake. IONE is the one in HD. That's the one that's the same as the local ION in San Antonio.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#3955 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Ben
Voodoo

Please remove ALL soccer channels and replace them with something watchable. :lol:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#3956 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Please remove ALL soccer channels and replace them with something watchable. :lol:

While not a soccer fan I can appreciate the need for soccer HD channels for those who are fans. Remember, one man's candy can be another man's poison. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3957 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

While not a soccer fan I can appreciate the need for soccer HD channels for those who are fans. Remember, one man's candy can be another man's poison. ;)

Thus the :lol:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#3958 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think FSP will fade away with the advent of the new Fox Sports Cable channels (rebranded Fuel and Speed) that are due to launch anytime now. The smart money would suggest a lot of content from FSP will transfer over.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#3959 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I would watch soccer before some of the 'ish' that is found easily on TV nowadays...

#3960 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ben
Voodoo

My only complaint with D* since I've become a sub is the $15 per month extortion - er, I mean subscription - for FS+ in glorious part time HD.

But since I can rationalize almost anything, I think about all the "free" Champions League, Europa League, Super 15 rugby, and Rugby Championship we get, and I've convinced myself all that is part of the 15 bucks! The HD PQ of the rugby is remarkable.

I was "anticipating" the Currie Cup and the ITM Cup rugby competitions this year in HD on 490-1 and 491-1, but, alas, nothing.

Anyone know why?

I also "anticipate" some interesting changes in HD channel carriage should Fox not keep the Barclays Premier League when the US contract for 2013 - 2016 is awarded in the next week or so.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...