Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm only interested in a very few channels. BBCA-HD is at the top of my list and just that one would make me very happy.

Of lesser interest is :
Epix - for movies that aren't other places, and some European boxing.
Reelz - for some of their original programming. But Reelz seems to be an odd duck. At the moment, only Dish gets their HD feed but it is just for specified periods of time and it seems as if Reelz may not even be offering it in HD all the time.

I will say that I'm not holding my breath waiting for any basic HD to be added. :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

What for? Men abusing women pisses me off, but I don't need to watch movies about it.

That's a stereotype!

Only nine out of ten movies on LMN have that plot! ;) :D

Mainly I like watching during the holiday season. LMN tends to play a lot of Christmas movies... some of which I enjoy very much. They do have the occasional movie I like every so often the rest of the year, but it's rare.

I checked the next two weeks in the guide and saw several theatrical films on it... three of which got my attention as I've seen two of them ("The Haunting Of Molly Hartley" and "Panic Room"), and the other which I think I got free on Blu-ray ("The Stepfather" remake) but haven't bothered to watch.

Oprah is such a narcissist. First her own show, then her own production company, then her own book club, then her own magazine, and now her [own] cable channel. What next, her own country? :lol:

I personally admire success...

To each their own! :)

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yeah... the RSN section is a mess... thanks to some posters, I was able to update it slightly last quarter (I think?), but I was confused by some of the part-time/full-time statuses, and I wanted to look it up, but time and other things came up in my life that took a priority.

I'll add Fox Sports SD (South Dakota?) in a little bit.

If anybody else wants to help me, simply list the channels and clarify PLAINLY whether or not DirecTV carries the channel in SD, part-time HD, or not at all.

~Alan

San Diego if you want to spell it out.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

San Diego if you want to spell it out.

Of course... I knew that... Done!

Let me know if there are any more mistakes! :)

Success is fine, but it seems like she's unnecessarily trying way too hard to prove her self worth and gain respect from her followers. I mean who gives her entire audience brand new cars and a free trip to Australia? A very insecure person that's who.

If I had the money, I'd probably do the same, so... :D

As I stated, to each their own... :)

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I wouldn't. I'd give it to a worthy cause like an organization that that's trying to cure terminal illnesses (cancer, HIV/AIDS), or one that on that helps the mentally ill and/or impoverished/homeless; not a bunch of rich housewives.

She does that too. And started several schools in Africa.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#26 OFFLINE   wildcatfanatic01

wildcatfanatic01

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I know it has been since November 2010, but has anyone heard anything at all about getting this back?[/I]

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I doubt it. Comcast is known for being anti-competitive and monopolistic and fears they would lose customers to D*, though probably not as many than if they signed a deal for CSN Philly/TCN Philly, CSN Northwest, CSN Houston, CSS Southeast, CS Southwest, and the rest of their HD general entertainment channels (Style, Oxygen).

It was D* decision to drop G4, not Comcast, they were offering the channel at the same price but D* didn't want to pay for it.

#28 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I doubt it. Comcast is known for being anti-competitive and monopolistic and fears they would lose customers to D*, though probably not as many than if they signed a deal for CSN Philly/TCN Philly, CSN Northwest, CSN Houston, CSS Southeast, CS Southwest, and the rest of their HD general entertainment channels (Style, Oxygen).

Comcast isn't even that smart when it comes to its brands. I am in the Detroit, Michigan designated market area. Comcast should have in its digital lineup numerous of its branded regional sports programming — especially Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia.

#29 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Here's my quarterly - and futile - request for Fox Soccer Plus to go HD full time.

$15 for part time is egregious. And please spare me the "But there are not many subs" argument. Either make it HD full time for $15, or put it in SportsPack.

For the rest of my wish list?
1) Any available HD movie channel not currently in HD.
2) Any new sports network.

See you in the 4th quarter when I copy and paste this post. :)

#30 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

It should be full time HD AND in SportsPack. No reason for a sports network to be a premium channel.

Hi CCK.

I like your idea better than mine! :)

#31 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

It was D* decision to drop G4, not Comcast, they were offering the channel at the same price but D* didn't want to pay for it.

I bet there's more to the story that wasn't made public.

DirecTV had said something about potentially dropping some lower rated networks. Not long after, G4 went bye-bye. I'm not sure there's much more to the story.

Then again, aside from G4, nothing else has disappeared...

~Alan

#32 OFFLINE   hail

hail

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Here is what I want most important to least:

Pac 12 Networks
Epix
Longhorn
Cooking Channel
Disney Jr
H2

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yeah and we get 2 feeds of Ion, which has absolutely no original programming and 8 hours of infomercials a day. :nono:

Carrying the national feeds of ION allows DirecTV the ability to not have to carry all those local ION feeds.

As for original programming... didn't ION pick up the US rights to first run episodes of "Flashpoint"? Is that show still in production?!

ION also has some original films from time to time... particularly around the holidays.

~Alan

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I've never heard of it but apparently it's Canadian, between seasons and the upcoming one will be the last.

Yeah... CBS aired it as a Summer series here in the states.

I watched the first season and part of the second before I lost the rest of season two when an eSATA drive went bad...

It did very well for them at first, but ION picked up the previous season and airs repeats of it.

~Alan

#35 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

BBC Amercia HD!!!:sure:

#36 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

Here we go again. :bang

I don't know about you guys, but if D* doesn't add any new basic HD this quarter, I'll be forced to come on here to complain then threaten to switch to E*. :lol:

:shrug: Who knows what we'll get but honestly I don't acticipate any more basic hd channels coming this year except the stupid rsn's.

#37 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

:shrug: Who knows what we'll get but honestly I don't acticipate any more basic hd channels coming this year except the stupid rsn's.

This is one opinion. They aren't "stupid" to me, or I'd guess, many other sports viewers.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#38 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Fox College Sports (Everything Fox Sports touches is golden, IMHO, plus Erin Andrews is now working for Fox :))
Universal Sports
Disney Jr (for the dear daughter)
FSOhio/Cincinnati full time HD
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#39 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

For merely the thousandth time..... Turner Classic Movies in HD please!

For merely the thousand and first time..... Turner Classic Movies in HD please!

#40 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Here's my quarterly - and futile - request for Fox Soccer Plus to go HD full time.

$15 for part time is egregious. And please spare me the "But there are not many subs" argument. Either make it HD full time for $15, or put it in SportsPack.

I've been hedging my bet on FSP and its content may roll within the Fox Sports rebranding of Fuel TV and Speed. I know FSP charging $15/month won't lead to many viewers as desired especially with Soccer getting bigger by the season. I also think some Aussie rules football will fit in well with the new Fuel TV.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

spam firewall