Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Really Comcast owns some teams? I didn't know that.

Yeah through their subsidiary Comcast Spectator, they own the Philadelphia Flyers and their stadium the Wells Fargo Center; and the Philadelphia 76ers (formerly their stadium The Spectrum too, but they sold it); and a bunch of other stuff.

Further details:

Comcast Spectator

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Here for my once a quarter check on this thread. As usual, no new basic HD channels coming soon. Still waiting for HLN HD.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#463 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Here for my once a quarter check on this thread. As usual, no new basic HD channels coming soon. Still waiting for HLN HD.

TCM HD doesn't count?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#464 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

TCM HD doesn't count?

Guess I missed that. Thanks!
Although I see its announced, but not available until 7/19.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#465 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Actually, that hasn't officially been announced (by D*/TCM) or reported (through a reliable member of the media), just leaked by someone on another forum who is apparently an insider/friend of an insider.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#466 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yeah through their subsidiary Comcast Spectator, they own the Philadelphia Flyers and their stadium the Wells Fargo Center; and the Philadelphia 76ers (formerly their stadium The Spectrum too, but they sold it); and a bunch of other stuff.

Further details:

Comcast Spectator

Comcast-Spectacor sold the 76ers last October.

With respect to Philadelphia sports franchises, one of the chief reasons I have remained a DirecTV customer since 1995 is the availability of Eagles and Flyers (although we typically are compelled to watch their opponent’s broadcast) games.

Consequently, CSN Philly constitutes one of my three principal hopes for DirecTV HD additions, although I recognize this wish likely will prove unfulfilled. The others are HD LIL in my DMA (scheduled to arrive sometime during 2012) and H2, which I fortunately can access in HD via Comcast and therefore was able to enjoy fully the most recent season of The Universe.

#467 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think the only way CSN Philly will be on D* is to make it a prerequisite for upcoming carriage agreements with any NBCU entity, that is what I would have done if I were in charge of programming.

CSN Houston is coming around the bend in a couple of months and I'm not in a hurry to watch the Phillies now, so around September or so would be a good time to pull the trigger. We have to remember that D* is usually among the first that NBCU looks to have an agreement with as exhibited with Universal Sports, additional Olympic Coverage and the other RSNs within NBCU's fold.

I say this time D* should say Deal (CSN-Philly/TCN) or No Deal (NBCU entity withdrawn).

#468 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,820 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think the only way CSN Philly will be on D* is to make it a prerequisite for upcoming carriage agreements with any NBCU entity, that is what I would have done if I were in charge of programming.

CSN Houston is coming around the bend in a couple of months and I'm not in a hurry to watch the Phillies now, so around September or so would be a good time to pull the trigger. We have to remember that D* is usually among the first that NBCU looks to have an agreement with as exhibited with Universal Sports, additional Olympic Coverage and the other RSNs within NBCU's fold.

I say this time D* should say Deal (CSN-Philly/TCN) or No Deal (NBCU entity withdrawn).

Your post makes sense, and i have often thought they now have the leverage todo that after the merger with NBC and not wanting to get into trouble, but the reality is, I am sure they will want way to much money for Philly, which is the issue today, and DIRECTV has said in the past they don't want companies to force them to only negotiate for a large package of channels,they want to be able to pick and choose between a companies channels so that costs don't have to go up by being forced to pick up channels they can live without. (see FOX dealing last year)

#469 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's a weak (condescending, really) argument to say because he is a comedian he doesn't know anything. He does business directly with Epix. He works in the building where John Malone is a major shareholder.

I don't think SR had any intention of being condescending. He's limited in what he can say. Indirection is his usual method. He doesn't typically give yes/no answers. I took his answer to mean something like "that would be news to me; dunno why he'd say such a thing".

I've seen him be wrong before, on occassion, but I can't say I've ever seen him say anything that looked like a purposeful effort to mislead, and so I don't think he was trying to mislead in this case either. Because that's what you'd have to believe --that Epix is coming and yet SR is trying to mislead that it isn't, without specifically denying it. It'd be much easier for him to keep his head down and just say nothing.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#470 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I don't think SR had any intention of being condescending. He's limited in what he can say. Indirection is his usual method. He doesn't typically give yes/no answers. I took his answer to mean something like "that would be news to me; dunno why he'd say such a thing".

I've seen him be wrong before, on occassion, but I can't say I've ever seen him say anything that looked like a purposeful effort to mislead, and so I don't think he was trying to mislead in this case either. Because that's what you'd have to believe --that Epix is coming and yet SR is trying to mislead that it isn't, without specifically denying it. It'd be much easier for him to keep his head down and just say nothing.

Now I'm really confused! Time will tell.

#471 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Still, it is basic HD.

Looks like we're currently on a "1 Basic HD per quarter" schedule. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#472 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Comcast-Spectacor sold the 76ers last October.

My mistake, I guess I read the article wrong.

DIRECTV customer

#473 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

There is conversation of that several pages upstream. SR's contribution was to point out that Norton is a comedian, which didn't seem very hopeful.

Captan America is an awesome movie. Saw it on EPIX.Four stars!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#474 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

TCM HD doesn't count?

TCM in HD just barely counts since they don't actually offer HD in the US. It will of course, be much better than the bit starved SD D* sends us now.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#475 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

It's a weak (condescending, really) argument to say because he is a comedian he doesn't know anything. He does business directly with Epix. He works in the building where John Malone is a major shareholder.

I brought it up when he said it before his special to see if someone here had heard something. He reiterated it again after his special, so he definitely said it on purpose. He heard it from someone, it's whether that someone is credible that is the question.

Didn't come off as condescending to me but could see how it was interpreted that way by some. I'm sure SR was probably stating the obvious, do you listen to a comedian or someone that is like way more informed? I'm sure he is a well informed comedian, but comedians just like anyone else sometimes hear one thing and translate it into something else.

As an example, there was a MSNBC newscaster (since fired) named David Shuster stated that MSNBC wasn't in HD on DIRECTV because Rupert Murdoch owned DIRECTV...this was July of 2009...it was a conspiratorial charge of his....a quick internet search of Shuster Directv HD Murdoch will bring up plenty of stories on it. This was from an "informed journalist" (I used " " for both informed and journalist in this particular case ;) ). The reality was that Murdoch actually announced that Liberty would get controlling interest starting in 2006 and was completed in 2008... almost 1 1/2 years PRIOR to Shuster making that statement. Murdoch never "owned" DIRECTV but had controlling interest. What is even more ironic, Murdoch when he had controlling interest of DIRECTV launched Current TV, the channel launched by Al Gore. Shuster claimed DTV didn't have MSNBC in HD because MSNBC is liberal and Murdoch was conservative, yet Murdoch didn't even own DTV and when he had controlling interest was the first to launch liberal channel Current. I bring this up not to make a political statement, but my point was more that there are people actually embedded in the industry (like Shuster) that often don't even know what is going on or have one detail here, another 1/2 detail there.

Here's the dirty secret about Epix. They are controlled by Viacom and DTV and Viacom are still working through a new deal for all their channels according to things I've heard through the industry. Deadlines may already be be passed according to some. I'm sure Viacom is demanding that DTV take Epix and DTV is probably telling Viacom to stuff it because you can bet Viacom is asking for a king's ransom for all the other stuff (Nick, MTV, etc), much of it on the downswing, especially Nickelodeon. Viacom puts this stuff out on Netflix and elsewhere dirt cheap and then they ask DTV, Dish, TWC and everyone else for huge price increases. It makes no sense.

http://online.wsj.co...0139597158.html

Don't be surprised if Epix some day shows up on DTV and this comedian probably had heard something about the DTV Viacom negotiations and Viacom's interest in forcing DTV to carry them. That doesn't mean it will happen, nor does it mean the timing is correct, but nothing is particularly surprising in this industry anymore. I wouldn't expect SR to comment on it, especially if the rumors about the Viacom negotiations that are circulating in the industry are true.

Edited by ChicagoBlue, 08 July 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#476 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

DTV still has a HD bandwidth issue. All the complaining here hasn't changed that. If they didn't have NFL Sunday Ticket, you would have 20+ more HD basic channels right now. That is the reality that they have to deal with. They are making changes and more than enough people in the know have said more HD is coming, take their word for it. Which, by the way, didn't Swammi predict no more HD for DTV again this year? How wrong can that guy be year after year after year?

#477 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Here's the dirty secret about EPiX. They are controlled by Viacom and DTV and Viacom are still working through a new deal for all their channels according to things I've heard through the industry. Deadlines may already be be passed according to some. I'm sure Viacom is demanding that DTV take EPiX and DTV is probably telling Viacom to stuff it because you can bet Viacom is asking for a king's ransom for all the other stuff (Nick, MTV, etc), much of it on the downswing, especially Nickelodeon. Viacom puts this stuff out on Netflix and elsewhere dirt cheap and then they ask DTV, Dish, TWC and everyone else for huge price increases. It makes no sense.

I appreciate the information. (Thanks.)

According to Wikipedia (though I know the site does contain some errors):

EPiX is owned by "Paramount/Viacom, MGM and Lionsgate." Its sister channels include: "MGM HD (through Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer); MTV, VH1, CMT, Nickelodeon, Spike, Logo, TV Land, Comedy Central (through Viacom/MTV Networks); TV Guide Network (through Lionsgate)."

http://en.wikipedia....pix_(TV_channel)

Perhaps we can be on the lookout for MTV2 HD, Nick Jr. HD, TV Guide Network HD, and TV Land HD.

This has me thinking about suites of MTV and VH1. Plus there is CMT Pure Country. And BET (also with suites) is owned by Viacom. Even though nearly all are still in standard definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BET

#478 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Personally, if I where DIRECTV, I'd be telling companies that are doing things like this, adding more channels and just spreading out their offerings among more channels, that they need to offer the same price and include more channels. That's where I'd start at least. It's getting ridiculous with all these companies expanding the number of channels but not their original programing.

#479 OFFLINE   DBSooner

DBSooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Any chance Investigation Discovery HD could be added? Pretty much the only channel I watch that isn't in HD.
D* subscriber since 2002

HD DVR - HR21-100
HD DVR - HR21-100
HD - H21-100

If I think before I post, I might not post at all. :)

#480 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Any chance Investigation Discovery HD could be added? Pretty much the only channel I watch that isn't in HD.

If a channel exists, I'd say there is a chance. Since it appears that discovery is due for renewal is year, you never really know what could happen when they renew, hopefully, the contracts with them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...