Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

There was a movie on earlier that was shown 16:9
It looked really good.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#742 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

It arrived at 5:00 a.m. Central time. Make sure it's in your guide, I had to add it to my custom guide.

Even though I have show SD duplicates turned off. TCM HD didn't show up this morning. I had to edit my favorites list to turn off the SD channel and turn on the HD channel.

Yeah I went into my custom guide to add the HD channel but it wasn't there. I was just a little early though. I checked at 5:30 Eastern. I'll get it added when I get home tomorrow. Thanks!

#743 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

^ ...with the Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood on just before it. I have them both set to record.

To my eye, The Adventures of Robin Hood, along with The Wizard of Oz, defined how good Technicolor could get.

Interested to see how Forbidden Planet looks tonight.

Having both of them (well, all three really) on Blu-ray, I'll be interested in seeing how RH and FP look on TCM-HD tonight upconverted.

Great to see TCM HD is here. Just an observation. There is no banner logo for TCM HD. It justs says TCMHD in letters. Why no logo, when there is a logo for TCM SD? Also, it slightly obscures the channel number. The same thing for channels 286,639,246 etc. Do you think Directv will adjust the banner name on these and other channels so the channel number is fully visible?

They're waiting on a logo for TCM-HD. DirecTV usually takes a while updating their logos. I don't think E! HD has one yet... It'll come...

~Alan

#744 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Letter-boxed is fine with me for Ice Station Zebra. I can put up with the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I just don't want it both letterboxed and window boxed, a smaller rectangle in the middle of the screen, which I what I assumed the original poster meant with his comment.

And I agree with you that having a 2:35:1 movie shrunk to 16:9 is a travesty. I see that on the HD transfers of the Star Trek movies on the premium channels and it sucks. I just ordered the first six from Amazon on Blu-ray (on sale right now for $39.99) and I am counting on them being in their original aspect ratio.

I have this set and they are all OAR, even Star Trek VI which released in 1.85:1 fill on DVD and LD. Does Ice Station Zebra have Patrick McGoohan? It seems like I have heard of this movie somewhere, guess I'll have to DVR it off TCM HD.

#745 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

When TCM HD showed up in the Android app, I set a movie to record several days from now. When I checked my todo list this morning, it showed up for TCM SD!

#746 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

When TCM HD showed up in the Android app, I set a movie to record several days from now. When I checked my todo list this morning, it showed up for TCM SD!

As I reported it. Because the DVR got the command when the only 256 channel was the SD channel. Do it now it and is should work fine.

The orders to record to the DVR are simple transactions. They are not live updated. They are just orders at the time. Record this on this channel at this time. DVR takes order and processes it. It does not go back and redo it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#747 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Does Ice Station Zebra have Patrick McGoohan?

He plays the heavy although maybe not the villian. Or maybe he is. You'll just have to find out.

Rock Hudson is the heroic sub captain and Ernest Borgnine also has a major role.

It's a popcorn movie, nothing more, but a good one.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#748 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

I can't speak for my less well-endowed brethren. . . but TCM in HD is making a very noticeable difference on my 60" HDTV. Far more than whoever offered "20% better" upstream. TCM has now gone from a channel I'd like to watch, to one I actually *will* watch.

I watched a 4:3 movie this morning for awhile, and it was much better. There's a 16x9 movie on right now. . . much better.

I've got _Forbidden Planet_ and _Gunga Din_ setup to record to the DVR tonight. . . whee!

Thank you, DirecTV!

Now, about BBCAHD, DIYHD, and H2HD. . . .
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#749 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,399 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Gunga Din? Oh crap, another timer to set! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#750 OFFLINE   fjames

fjames

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

There's a 2:35 on right now and it's window boxed in SD and full width 2:35 in HD. I'm relieved ...

#751 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Gunga Din? Oh crap, another timer to set! :)

Yep. Probably 70% of the programs I have DVR'ed are TCM movies. Now it's HD it'll fill up quicker.

#752 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

A pretty rotten Ben Gazarra prison movie is on now - why did our first day of TCM HD have to be Prison Day? - but the picture is great. It's a crisp B&W transfer. I also love the presentation. It's wide screen and almost exactly 16:9. I say almost exactly because TCM takes the picture up to the edge of the TV screen but not beyond it. There is a thin black frame around the whole picture. I love the fact we don't lose anything to over-scan.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#753 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Oh well ...

Looks like a guide error apparently.

Old B&W film "Convicts 4" starring Ben Gazzara is currently airing and must be confused with the more modern film "Convicts" with Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones produced in 1991 which the guide is showing.

#754 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I can't speak for my less well-endowed brethren. . . but TCM in HD is making a very noticeable difference on my 60" HDTV. Far more than whoever offered "20% better" upstream. TCM has now gone from a channel I'd like to watch, to one I actually *will* watch.

Yeah, these past couple of weeks (well, not quite two weeks), I've found the channel to be very impressive for a channel that doesn't actually have any HD in it.

I've seen multiple films that while upconverted, looked almost HD due to the source quality, and I've seen multiple films that looked like they were upconverts from a mediocre DVD. Yet regardless of the picture quality of the films, I've found the channel to be a 200% increase in PQ here.

As for the 20%, I started to comment about adjusting television settings or glasses, but I decided to leave it alone.

~Alan

#755 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Great picture on 'Convicts 4' and I can't wait for the stuff tonight.

#756 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

TCM has now gone from a channel I'd like to watch, to one I actually *will* watch.

yup. for me, tcm sd was/is unwatchable. 4x3 movies chopped and zoomed to fill a 16x9 screen, resulting in partial beheadings and game winning basketball shots that are heard but not seen... ridiculous.

Having both of them (well, all three really) on Blu-ray, I'll be interested in seeing how RH and FP look on TCM-HD tonight upconverted.

i'm planning to record and compare tomorrow night's airing of polanski's "the fearless vampire killers" with the version i dvr'd off one of the premium movie channels a while back, just to see how drastic the drop-off is from a native 1080i broadcast to a 480i tcm source that's been upconverted.

i think it's important to point out that tcm hd shouldn't be seen as some sort of catch-all. in the hierarchy of options for seeing, say, john ford's "the searchers," if you have the means to watch it on blu-ray, then that's ideally the best way to see it (at least, in the comfort of your living room). failing that, a native 1080i (preferably one without a block of ads in the middle of it, *cough* mgmhd *cough*) broadcast from a channel that respects the original aspect ratio is your next best option, only then followed by tcm hd's upconversion of their 480i source.

while that may seem to some like i'm slagging off tcm hd, that's not at all the case -- as someone else pointed out earlier, the vast majority of the movies they show have yet to be mastered for 1080i broadcast or 1080p blu-ray. take, for instance, the (thoroughly welcomed, at least by me) generous helping of pre-code stanwycks airing tomorrow night. though we live in a time when releases such as milestone's mary pickford collection and carlotta's french blu-rays of three borzage silents are proving that damn near everything's on the table as far as what could one day turn up on blu-ray, i think it's pretty safe to say that tomorrow night's quartet of stanwyck flicks probably won't be making the leap anytime soon, and it's even less likely that any of them will be turning up on a premium movie channel (nestled snugly between the latest installment of the underworld franchise and an episode of weeds, perhaps?). in such instances, and especially if you're talking about pictures that never made it to dvd (or, ugh... dvd-r), then tcm hd is truly manna from heaven.

#757 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

We have a large-ish DVD/Blu-ray library here, but there are still a ton of old movies that I've heard of and either haven't seen, or haven't seen in decades, that I'd love to watch, but not quite so much as to fork out for a (preferably) Blu-ray or DVD.

Believe me, I did *try* to watch some of them on TCM SD a few times. It was hopeless. I just couldn't get past the jaggies, blurries, and artifacts. From what I've seen today, sampling, TCM HD *will* now get a vigorous work-out on my future DVR'ing schedule.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#758 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Since you guys appear to be the experts on this, how much better will an original episode of the I Love Lucy show look in HD compared to SD?

#759 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

A pretty rotten Ben Gazarra prison movie is on now - why did our first day of TCM HD have to be Prison Day? - but the picture is great. It's a crisp B&W transfer. I also love the presentation. It's wide screen and almost exactly 16:9. I say almost exactly because TCM takes the picture up to the edge of the TV screen but not beyond it. There is a thin black frame around the whole picture. I love the fact we don't lose anything to over-scan.

Convicts 4 has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. It is picture-boxed, but since it is nearly 16:9 that doesn't look so bad but it really should be letterboxed just a little bit.

#760 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Since you guys appear to be the experts on this, how much better will an original episode of the I Love Lucy show look in HD compared to SD?

Earlier this year, iTunes had an episode of "I Love Lucy" FREE for download. Displayed in 1080p on my 60' HDTV via an AppleTV, the PQ is gorgeous, and the compression used on the iTunes file is more than what you'd find on a HDTV channel or a potential Blu-ray!!

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...