Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#761 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Since you guys appear to be the experts on this, how much better will an original episode of the I Love Lucy show look in HD compared to SD?

It depends on the source quality, but it hopefully would look sharper (less bit-starved).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#762 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Since you guys appear to be the experts on this, how much better will an original episode of the I Love Lucy show look in HD compared to SD?

Depends on what they take it from. If the original 35mm film is in good condition or has been restored, it would be a major upgrade. If they go from a tape copy, not so much.

#763 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Why does my favorite channel list always uncheck new HD channels even when I had the SD version on my favorite list before the HD one was added? You would think it would keep it in my favorite list since it was already there before the HD version was flipped on. It's pretty annoying to have to manually add them for one channel.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#764 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

It will go from unwatchable to watchable.
Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

My gear:
http://www.dbstalk.c...931#post2931931

#765 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

As someone before said, the audio is much improved.

#766 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Factors better. And you can see for yourself as she is on hallmark from 5-7 am ET every day. The quality is stunning. Looks new.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#767 OFFLINE   oldtexan

oldtexan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I am a Dish subscriber, but I am very happy for y'all that Directv is now offering TCM in HD.

And for whoever mentioned that his DVR would fill up faster now that you have TCMHD, I feel your pain: Citizen Kane is on at 1 AM CDT (with Gregg Toland's magnificent cinematography)tonight, followed by the newly restored The Magnificent Ambersons (no unfortunately it's not Welles' lost cut, but IMO looks much better than before). You'll get John Ford's magnificent The Searchers (in VistaVision and Technicolor) at 6:45 AM CDT.

Enjoy.

#768 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Why does my favorite channel list always uncheck new HD channels even when I had the SD version on my favorite list before the HD one was added? You would think it would keep it in my favorite list since it was already there before the HD version was flipped on. It's pretty annoying to have to manually add them for one channel.

It would be nice programming but is is a different channel sharing the same number. That is why. If you do not hide SD channels, you see both and can pick what you want in your favorites.

If you have SD hidden, it disappears when the hd channel comes on and you don't see hd because it is not in your favorites.

They'd need some sort of trigger to tell the receiver to look for SD as a fav when hd starts or they'd have to force turn on all new hd (you don't want the latter. That's a disaster as we have already learned.$
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#769 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Agreed! Report it to DirecTV. IMO the Favorites system is broken. It should work as we expect...

If you have Channel X in SD on favorites and one day they add it in HD and it's on the SAME NUMBER... that SAME NUMBER in your favorites should tune the HD feed!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#770 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Factors better. And you can see for yourself as she is on hallmark from 5-7 am ET every day. The quality is stunning. Looks new.

Maybe it was just the episode, but I tuned in a couple of weeks ago when I battling insomnia, and I didn't think it looked that great. Looked like upconverted SD compared to the iTunes download. :confused:

I am a Dish subscriber, but I am very happy for y'all that Directv is now offering TCM in HD.

And for whoever mentioned that his DVR would fill up faster now that you have TCMHD, I've got bad news: Citizen Kane is on at 1 AM CDT (with Gregg Toland's magnificent cinematography)tonight, followed by the newly restored Magnificent Ambersons (no unfortunately it's not Welles' lost cut). You'll get John Ford's beautifully filmed The Searchers (in VistaVision and Technicolor) at 6:45 AM CDT.

HDNet Movies shows "The Searchers" quite often, so hopefully most people interested in that particular movie has seen it on there where it was actually in HD.

Personally, I own it on Blu-ray....

~Alan

#771 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Agreed! Report it to DirecTV. IMO the Favorites system is broken. It should work as we expect...

If you have Channel X in SD on favorites and one day they add it in HD and it's on the SAME NUMBER... that SAME NUMBER in your favorites should tune the HD feed!

Then we would have had people complaining when those who had NASA in their Favorites suddenly had Disney Jr. in their Favorites list.

~Alan

#772 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

It is not broken. 256 SD and 256 HD are two different channels. YOU get to decide how you want to see them or not in your guide.

#773 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Then we would have had people complaining when those who had NASA in their Favorites suddenly had Disney Jr. in their Favorites list.

~Alan

No, the same mechanism the system uses to pair SD and HD to work the "Hide SD Duplicates" would take effect. It knows that Disney Jr is not a duplicate of Nasa. There's some kind of source ID behind the number or some other network ID or something.

Here's a real life example of why this causes problems.... apparently on July 4th my market got a few new HD locals like Channel 69, an independent station. I had NO IDEA because I never subscribed to the local transponder changes threads by gct. (I DO NOW!!!). The only reason I found out is when all the Viacom channels took a dump. I changed the list to "All channels" to see what happened and voila saw some new HD locals like 69 IND, 44 IND, and 62 telemundo. Now 69 SD was in my favorites but when it switched to HD I never would of known to re-add it.

Thank goodness for Sixto's threads. I subscribe to them so I know when new HD's are added. Like when E!, TruTV or AMC were added in HD, they didn't automatically replace the SD versions in my favorites even though I have "Hide SD Duplicates" turned on. If I didn't visit DBSTalk (Like 99% of DirecTV customers DO NOT), I never would of known. That to me is broken.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#774 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

It seems like some of the other HD additions automatically were added to the guide when the SD version had existed previously. But then, I am of an age where my memory occasionally fails me.

#775 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wow! Forbidden Planet looks and sounds great!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#776 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Agreed.

It isn't my HD-DVD copy (don't ask) but it also isn't SD. In fact, it looks significantly better than a conventional DVD.

I am sooooo glad we got TCM HD.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#777 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

It seems like some of the other HD additions automatically were added to the guide when the SD version had existed previously. But then, I am of an age where my memory occasionally fails me.

I don't recall that recently.

#778 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

No, the same mechanism the system uses to pair SD and HD to work the "Hide SD Duplicates" would take effect. It knows that Disney Jr is not a duplicate of Nasa. There's some kind of source ID behind the number or some other network ID or something.

Here's a real life example of why this causes problems.... apparently on July 4th my market got a few new HD locals like Channel 69, an independent station. I had NO IDEA because I never subscribed to the local transponder changes threads by gct. (I DO NOW!!!). The only reason I found out is when all the Viacom channels took a dump. I changed the list to "All channels" to see what happened and voila saw some new HD locals like 69 IND, 44 IND, and 62 telemundo. Now 69 SD was in my favorites but when it switched to HD I never would of known to re-add it.

Thank goodness for Sixto's threads. I subscribe to them so I know when new HD's are added. Like when E!, TruTV or AMC were added in HD, they didn't automatically replace the SD versions in my favorites even though I have "Hide SD Duplicates" turned on. If I didn't visit DBSTalk (Like 99% of DirecTV customers DO NOT), I never would of known. That to me is broken.

Your examples tell me that the notification system is broken not the favorites system.

#779 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

With the recent Disney Jr. and NASA switch, it knew that I had NASA set up as a favorite, and not Disney Jr. Today, it knew that I had TCM set up as a favorite, and I did NOT have TCMHD set up as a favorite.

Yeah, if there is a way to tell the STB that an HD simulcast channel has been added, there is probably a way to differentiate for favorites... and yes, that would be welcome.

My point was not that it couldn't be more convient, but rather that it's not really broken.

If they did, it was so rare, I don't remember it...

~Alan

#780 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Agreed.

It isn't my HD-DVD copy (don't ask) but it also isn't SD. In fact, it looks significantly better than a conventional DVD.

I am sooooo glad we got TCM HD.

Replace your HD-DVD (I sold mine a long time ago) with my Blu-ray, and ditto!!

~Alan

spam firewall