Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

It isn't my HD-DVD copy (don't ask) but it also isn't SD. In fact, it looks significantly better than a conventional DVD.

I am sooooo glad we got TCM HD.

Replace your HD-DVD (I sold mine a long time ago) with my Blu-ray, and ditto!!

~Alan

could it possibly be that they've switched to "the european model" of showing native 1080i when they've got it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Wow! Forbidden Planet looks and sounds great!

Yup, sure does. My cup overfloweth. Tiny bit annoyed the commentary before the movie wasn't HD, and instead bordered on all sides, but looked okay for all of that.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#783 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

could it possibly be that they've switched to "the european model" of showing native 1080i when they've got it?

Nope! Still upconverted HD...

Sorry!

~Alan

#784 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Who knew the rug and the red furniture in the studio looked so good? :)

#785 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

See......HD does bring more eyeballs to the channels. ;)

Wow a young 30 year old Leslie Nielson.

#786 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,840 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

One thing that I noticed is that the host segments and inserts is still windowboxed (I can deal with that), but that Forbidden Planet filled the screen.

Thank you DirecTV.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#787 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

So.... the Emmy nominations were announced today.

I noticed there are at least four BBC productions listed. Sure, two of them are aired on PBS, but I noticed that at least two of them are aired on BBC America.

Hopefully, DirecTV paid attention! ;)

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 19 July 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#788 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so far but I'm curious...

With the Viacom dispute still raging are recent events like adding Disney Junior and today's addition of TCMHD events that were pushed up to be a smoke screen to take attention away from the missing Viacom channels or events that were normally scheduled to take place at this time?

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#789 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

With the Viacom dispute still raging are recent events like adding Disney Junior and today's addition of TCMHD events that were pushed up to be a smoke screen to take attention away from the missing Viacom channels or events that were normally scheduled to take place at this time?

Nah ...

Though in our era of cynicism today I'm sure some may certainly believe so. When a contract is agreed upon by content providers and distributers and formally drafted and signed by both parties. It includes an official channel launch date.

#790 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

He plays the heavy although maybe not the villian. Or maybe he is. You'll just have to find out.

Rock Hudson is the heroic sub captain and Ernest Borgnine also has a major role.

It's a popcorn movie, nothing more, but a good one.

Reportedly Howard Huges favorite.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#791 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

TCM was scheduled. We knew about it before Viacom pulled the plug.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#792 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

I hope that more people will discover some of the great older movies now that they look better. I had seen all of the movies that were on yesterday but I kept watching them anyway. I'm very happy with Directv right now!

#793 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

He plays the heavy although maybe not the villian. Or maybe he is. You'll just have to find out.

Rock Hudson is the heroic sub captain and Ernest Borgnine also has a major role.

It's a popcorn movie, nothing more, but a good one.

Yeah...

Though for an allegedly experienced Spy Master, I always thought the script's choice of having McGoohan suspect the African-American Marine Captain (played by Jim Brown) as the Soviet agent on the sub was rather odd.

During those early '60s cold war years, where would the Soviets realistically have access to African-Americans to recruit as agents that way?

#794 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah...

Though for an allegedly experienced Spy Master, I always thought the script's choice of having McGoohan suspect the African-American Marine Captain (played by Jim Brown) as the Soviet agent on the sub was rather odd.

During those early '60s cold war years, where would the Soviets realistically have access to African-Americans to recruit as agents that way?

Which, perhaps, was the point. If you are going to send someone on a spy mission, what's better than someone they won't suspect.

Also, during the 60s there were a lot of Blacks living in communists countries. Relatively easy to grab one young and teach them how to act American, then insert them just after high school with a fake identity.

#795 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Disney Jr. was definitely added quickly to help with the missing Viacom channels, but TCM was already in the planning. It takes a bit to get all the bits and pieces in place for a HD feed, and the coming of TCMHD was already somewhat known before the Viacom dispute.

Besides, TCM doesn't really compete with Viacom channels like some of the Disney channels do.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#796 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

In any case... now that we have TCM HD, what is next?

We know about the potential sports channels coming our way, but what do you think our next "basic nugget" will be?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#797 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

We know about the potential sports channels coming our way, but what do you think our next "basic nugget" will be?

The last poll we did has been reasonably predictive. So it'll be something from that top 10 we don't have yet. BBCA, DIY, IFC, H2, Cooking, HLN, or Nat Geo Wild.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#798 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Add these channels and I'll be beyond content:

IFCHD
BBCAHD
FUSEHD
DIYHD
HLNHD
COOKINGHD
FMCHD
DOCHD
NATGEOWILDHD
TVLANDHD
The rest on the Encore channels in HD
SUNDANCEHD

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#799 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

MavTV :)

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#800 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Add these channels and I'll be beyond content:

IFCHD
BBCAHD
FUSEHD
DIYHD
HLNHD
COOKINGHD
FMCHD
DOCHD
NATGEOWILDHD
TVLANDHD
The rest on the Encore channels in HD
SUNDANCEHD

Not familiar with DOCHD...

I would love:

a) BBCA (but don't expect it)
B) FMCHD (great companion to TCM)

The rest would just be icing on the cake with some emphasis on Encore HD channels.

But shouldn't the Plex channels be soon?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall