Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1001 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Unlike NBC Sports Network, Telemundo is on the 119° satellite.

I have a 5LNB, but not for the Spanish package.... I wanted the Irish music channel that I pay for with Choice Ultimate, and for some reason they stuck that channel on the same satellite.

I complained, so they gave me a 5LNB for free. Guy comes out to install it, and was wondering if I ordered the Spanish package. :D

I think they have since then moved the Irish music channel to a different satellite, but I can receive SOME of the Spanish channels. Some must be available with Choice Ultimate. That said, I think the Los Angeles Telemundo affiliate is the "Telemundo West" anyways.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1002 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

:)

Swanni and his ilk (if he has an ilk) are a big reason why we don't get news earlier. He is irresponsible. (And I love that he monitors this thread so I know he read this.)

Indeed, I believe this to be the reason as well. It's nice that we get a few ins through forum members every so often, but Swanni runs with it and publishes it elsewhere. Now as this is a PUBLIC forum, that is his right as a journalist. But as a journalist he also is responsible for the information he publishes and how it may affect people.

He was boasting last week he was going to cancel HBO and was going to publish an article explaining why he did that. As if anyone really cares. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1003 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have a 5LNB, but not for the Spanish package.... I wanted the Irish music channel that I pay for with Choice Ultimate, and for some reason they stuck that channel on the same satellite.

I complained, so they gave me a 5LNB for free. Guy comes out to install it, and was wondering if I ordered the Spanish package. :D

I think they have since then moved the Irish music channel to a different satellite, but I can receive SOME of the Spanish channels. Some must be available with Choice Ultimate. That said, I think the Los Angeles Telemundo affiliate is the "Telemundo West" anyways.

I used to have the 5LNB, but got rid of it when I got a dish peaking in August, 2010 when my locals came online. I haven't missed it.

Yeah, there is a handful of free foreign language channels in the 400s. Univision, Galavision, etc...

On a personal note, it always depresses me when I notice that DirecTV has GolTV correctly marked as a CIDG (Channel I Don't Get) in the 400s, yet has it listed as a CIG (Channel I Get) in the 600s. :rolleyes:

Oh well, like I said, no issue with me, I'm just sort of surprised...

~Alan

#1004 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

On a personal note, it always depresses me when I notice that DirecTV has GolTV correctly marked as a CIDG (Channel I Don't Get) in the 400s, yet has it listed as a CIG (Channel I Get) in the 600s. :rolleyes:

Oh well, like I said, no issue with me, I'm just sort of surprised...

~Alan

I think that is because GOL TV is available with both a Spanish pack and the Sports pack. If you subscribe to a Spanish package you get it in the 400s, if you subscribe to sports you get it in the 600s. So, to solve your "problem", subscribe to both. :D

Good for me GOL TV has an English commentary these days :)

I am the Stig.

#1005 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think that is because GOL TV is available with both a Spanish pack and the Sports pack. If you subscribe to a Spanish package you get it in the 400s, if you subscribe to sports you get it in the 600s. So, to solve your "problem", subscribe to both. :D

Thankfully, I have no interest in subscribing to either...

My statement was a jab at the broken CIG system.

~Alan

#1006 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Pretty sure I have the sports pack but not the Spanish one and it lights up in both places. Haven't looked at the 400s version in quite some time, though, so maybe that changed since I set up my favorites so long ago.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1007 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

I also noticed that the telemundo's in the mix channel go nowhere. I would of at least expected the east coast thumbnail take me to Ch 62 WWSI Telemundo HD. At least that's what appears to be playing in the thumbnail.

No biggie. I don't speak Spanish.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#1008 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I also noticed that the telemundo's in the mix channel go nowhere. I would of at least expected the east coast thumbnail take me to Ch 62 WWSI Telemundo HD. At least that's what appears to be playing in the thumbnail.

yeah that was a waste of space on 750...Having the Telemundo 406 channels that require a pay package, and it doesnt relo you to your local telemundo affiliate are wastes of space.....if anything NBC East & West should of been in the mix since they dont require pay packages, you'll either get 1 or the other...Universal Sports & the Tennis Channel are 2 wastes of space there also they should be removed..It should rotate and put CNBC & Bravo when they have events (since MSNBC was already there)

or the OLY Mix channels 751 or 752 should be there...alot of choices and suggestions on what should be on the MiX 750 Gridbox channel...maybe Directv will manage this better...REAL.............. SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1009 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

No, it would take you to the telemundo in the 400s if you have the right dish. And given the level of discourse of announcers, not speaking the language is a plus.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1010 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

yeah that was a waste of space on 750...Having the Telemundo 406 channels that require a pay package, and it doesnt relo you to your local telemundo affiliate are wastes of space.....if anything NBC East & West should of been in the mix since they dont require pay packages, you'll either get 1 or the other...Universal Sports & the Tennis Channel are 2 wastes of space there also they should be removed..It should rotate and put CNBC & Bravo when they have events (since MSNBC was already there)

or the OLY Mix channels 751 or 752 should be there...alot of choices and suggestions on what should be on the MiX 750 Gridbox channel...maybe Directv will manage this better...REAL.............. SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am willing to bet that they did not get clearance from NBC to put the big network feed on the mix channel. They can't just arbitrarily put something up there as it would be equivalent of delivering channels out of market. Just as they cannot put non-sold out NFL games on the NFL mix channel.

#1011 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am willing to bet that they did not get clearance from NBC to put the big network feed on the mix channel. They can't just arbitrarily put something up there as it would be equivalent of delivering channels out of market. Just as they cannot put non-sold out NFL games on the NFL mix channel.

They can't put NBC on there as there are DNS rules and whatnot. However, there they could have put up Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC Sports Network, and the Olympic Soccer/Basketball channels. That is 6 right there.

There are probably similar DNS rules in effect for Telemundo, and just like with NBC you can't put the feed up as there are local affiliated etc. But the rest? They could have done that a while ago.

I am the Stig.

#1012 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

They can't put NBC on there as there are DNS rules and whatnot. However, there they could have put up Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC Sports Network, and the Olympic Soccer/Basketball channels. That is 6 right there.

There are probably similar DNS rules in effect for Telemundo, and just like with NBC you can't put the feed up as there are local affiliated etc. But the rest? They could have done that a while ago.

They could. But I was thinking about the soccer and basketball channels. They are only HD. The mix is SD. Maybe decided not to because of that? Who knows. I think it is pretty much a waste, myself. And with NBC holding too closely what they are putting on in each time block, most stuff is a waste.

#1013 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

No, it would take you to the telemundo in the 400s if you have the right dish. And given the level of discourse of announcers, not speaking the language is a plus.

I speak spanish, so I'm cool with it...but not all the commentary is worth a lick..Some of the spanish commentators do all but comment on the game...ESPN Deportes is notorious for that in which they talk about alot of random *S$*ht and boring innuendo...oh and theres a fly ball to left field, yeah now getting back to that fence I painted this past weekend........Since D* doesnt have ESPND in HD its not a big loss because their spanish commentary sucks...Least the Telemundo commentaries are about the game on the field!! heh heh..and I'm happy they're in HD..

To counter on your comment on speaking the language, I watched the opening ceremonies LIVE on my MAC, in chinese then ukranian..I didnt care what the commentators were saying (mainly cause i couldn't understand them), much to NBC's cha-grin I SAW IT LIVE...and I'll do it again for the closing ceremonies..
props to my friend finding the Ukranian feed in HD !!

so not speaking chinese or ukranian I was cool with the feeds :)

Edited by Santi360HD, 30 July 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#1014 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

As I said before, they cannot just create specialty branded mix channels on a whim. The general sports and news mix? Yes. Olympics, Masters, US Open, etc....no. There is a lot more that goes into those. Far more complicated.
DTV = Digital Television

#1015 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Here we go again........
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#1016 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

As I said before, they cannot just create specialty branded mix channels on a whim. The general sports and news mix? Yes. Olympics, Masters, US Open, etc....no. There is a lot more that goes into those. Far more complicated.

...but weren't there mix channels for the Masters, US Open, and the Open Championship? :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1017 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,870 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

...but weren't there mix channels for the Masters, US Open, and the Open Championship? :scratchin

Yes, and very well done ones, at that. HD!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1018 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Mike

Yes. BRANDED mix channels. Just because DirecTV has agreement with a network doesn't mean they have the right to use trademarked names, logos, and other properties for their own benefit. The IOC clamps down on that like a steel trap. They have to have permission for certain branded promotions or features. So if DirecTV wants an NCAA March Madness branded official mix channel, they have to deal with the networks involved and the NCAA.
DTV = Digital Television

#1019 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Mike

Yes. And they all involved a deal or exclusive coverage. That's the point. They make a deal to do it. They can't just throw a channel up on mix unless it is agreed to. Some may be in their base contract but I seriously doubt national NBC is.

#1020 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

The channels other than local NBC could be in a mix. And with an agreement with a broadcaster (perhaps a broadcaster who has agreed to carriage of three special feeds plus the regular channels, such as NBC) a mix channel shouldn't be a problem.

#1021 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

The channels other than local NBC could be in a mix. And with an agreement with a broadcaster (perhaps a broadcaster who has agreed to carriage of three special feeds plus the regular channels, such as NBC) a mix channel shouldn't be a problem.

And there is the catch. They have to agree. I can see them allowing the soccer and basketball channels but as the big network is so important to them and to the affiliates, they probably nixed putting the NBC main network on.

Not sure what other major networks are on mixes for other sports. I know the CBS feed is on the masters but the masters is commercial free and actually owned by Augusta national not CBS.

#1022 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

tcm hd, tcm 2 hd , h2 hd and military history hd r on a test channels. TCM HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9256 TCM 2 HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9569 H2 HD ON 9271 MILITARY HISTORY HD ON 9270 AND E! HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9236

Thinking back about this post he actually got TCM HD correct way before it was showing up in TEST for Sixto maybe he really does have some inside information or a special engineering receiver that receives channels we can't see...or it was just a coincidence :confused:

#1023 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thank you. Hopefully one day it shows up.

Netflix carries both seasons as well.

#1024 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

[quote name='Joe Spears']Thinking back about this post he actually got TCM HD correct way before it was showing up in TEST for Sixto maybe he really does have some inside information or a special engineering receiver that receives channels we can't see...or it was just a coincidence :confused:[/QUOTE

I wonder if this really was a coincidence or did he know something. I don't believe he ever posted anything since, did he?

#1025 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Netflix carries both seasons as well.

Thank you. I'll check out Netflix.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...