Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#801 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Now that we have TCM HD I'm anticipating BBCA HD, FMC HD, H2 HD and The Military Channel HD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#802 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Which, perhaps, was the point. If you are going to send someone on a spy mission, what's better than someone they won't suspect.

Also, during the 60s there were a lot of Blacks living in communists countries. Relatively easy to grab one young and teach them how to act American, then insert them just after high school with a fake identity.

Actually, the FBI was always on the look-out for communist subversion amongst those groups that were discriminated against. Hoover was accusing Dr. King and his group of having too many communists and too much communist influence at the same time. The Black Panther Party was often accused of being communist. Well, actually, pretty good case they were (Maoist instead of Stalinist, however). . . but not "under the command of the Soviet Union" or any foreign power.

The reality is, the USSR did try to get their agents in those kind of groups and take them over. It's just they often, even usually, weren't successful, particularly after about 1948.

In the era, I don't find that at all unusual for the film to go that way.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#803 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,548 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Actually, the FBI was always on the look-out for communist subversion amongst those groups that were discriminated against. Hoover was accusing Dr. King and his group of having too many communists and too much communist influence at the same time.

Yeah, cause Hoover didn't have any other agenda.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#804 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, cause Hoover didn't have any other agenda.

Did not mean to say, nor imply, that Hoover was right. Just saying Ice Station Zebra is realistic for the era on that point. . . part of the cultural background. Hollywood isn't known for its subtlety and originality. They love short-hand kind of moments that the audience will just "get" without a lot of explanation.

I think it's great that 40 years on, so many people *don't* "get it" on that point anymore.

Edited by georule, 20 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#805 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

So they penned a deal with Viacom...we getting Epix? Yea or Neh? DirecTvs post said the information would be posted online (duh, twitter IS online). I cant find the "online" update. DirectvPromise.com still shows Mike saying the channels are down.

Edit: nevermind...

DirecTV ‎Michelle K Campise Gonzales, Carrying the EPIX movie channel was not required as part of the new agreement. For more information please visit www.directvpromise.com. Thanks. -Julie
11 minutes ago · Like

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#806 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

In any case... now that we have TCM HD, what is next?

We know about the potential sports channels coming our way, but what do you think our next "basic nugget" will be?

My realistic bets are BBCA and H2.

MavTV :)

Ever since HDnet rebranded, I wouldn't be surprised if this will surface.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#807 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,548 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

My realistic bets are BBCA and H2.

Unless something has changed, don't put your money on BBCA.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#808 OFFLINE   Sandy

Sandy

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Unless something has changed, don't put your money on BBCA.

Why? What is it about BBCA keeping SD instead of going HD ? I really want BBCA HD and this is very discouraging.

#809 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Why? What is it about BBCA keeping SD instead of going HD ? I really want BBCA HD and this is very discouraging.

Well.... Discovery Communication, who owns BBC America, contract isn't up till 1st quarter 2013. Although I am not sure how BBC America falls in to those contracts, I am pretty convinced that we won't be seeing BBC America in HD this year.

Next year, maybe.

I started downloading Top Gear, Graham Norton, and Doctor Who via torrents/usenet, I no longer have the patience for those in SD. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#810 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

So they penned a deal with Viacom...we getting Epix? Yea or Neh?

Not soon.

Wait, let me rephrase that.

We'll see it soon.

I betcha that didn't tell you anything, now did it. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#811 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,818 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Not familiar with DOCHD...

Probably because DOCHD does not exist.

The Documentary Channel is SD only...

~Alan

#812 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Probably because DOCHD does not exist.

The Documentary Channel is SD only...

~Alan

Well that sucks.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#813 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,548 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I don't have a why. Just an idea of what is not coming next.

#814 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well.... Discovery Communication, who owns BBC America, contract isn't up till 1st quarter 2013. Although I am not sure how BBC America falls in to those contracts, I am pretty convinced that we won't be seeing BBC America in HD this year.

Using that line of thinking, does anyone know when DirecTV's contract was last updated with Time Warner (TCM-HD & TruTV HD) or Comcast/NBC Universal (E! HD)?

On a personal level, I'd say our best chances of additional HD basics (not counting RSNs, semi-premiums, or premiums) would be TV Land (given the recent Viacom contract) or Fox Movie Channel.

~Alan

#815 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Next year, maybe.

I started downloading Top Gear, Graham Norton, and Doctor Who via torrents/usenet, I no longer have the patience for those in SD. :D

Bummer. I hope you're wrong. I want this season of Doctor Who to be in HD, FINALLY.

#816 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,548 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Using that line of thinking, does anyone know when DirecTV's contract was last updated with Time Warner (TCM-HD & TruTV HD) or Comcast/NBC Universal (E! HD)?

On a personal level, I'd say our best chances of additional HD basics (not counting RSNs, semi-premiums, or premiums) would be TV Land (given the recent Viacom contract) or Fox Movie Channel.

~Alan

Not counting sports, I would expect to see the Plex channels. The agreement was announced in April. I'm hoping for HD. Some good stuff there.

#817 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Not counting sports, I would expect to see the Plex channels. The agreement was announced in April. I'm hoping for HD. Some good stuff there.

I included the Plex channels in with the semi-premiums since I'm not sure how they will be added (package-wise). Dish has/had them in their version of the HD Extra package, but DirecTV could just put them in the Starz package, or Choice Ultimate package. :confused:

Not to mention that it took DirecTV around two years after an agreement was announced for Hallmark Channel HD and Hallmark Movie Channel SD & HD, and HMC SD never made it.

~Alan

#818 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Next year, maybe.

Reading the BBC site it says that these days BBCA is wholly owned by the BBC and now use Discovery Networks to distribute. No idea as to whether the channel would thus go dark if Discovery wanted to pull the plug

#819 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

As I've stated numerous times, while the number of channels I'd like to see added in HD is considerable, there is only FOUR (or three, depending on how you want to count them) channels that I'm waiting for. The rest can come whenever.

Those channels are CW HD-DNS (#1), BBC America (#3), and TV Land HD (#4).

While I have little hope that CW HD-DNS is coming prior to D14, I have gotten some potential good news/bad news regarding it's placing on my list. My "local" CBS affiliate that runs the local CW affiliate on their sub-channel has plans to upgrade to HD. I finally got confirmation that HD is coming in 2013... I'm trying to get a whole 1Q, 2Q, 3Q, or 4Q question answered, but so far, no luck... I was lucky to get 2013.

The bad news is that during my correspondence, I was told some things that confused me, but they became clearer after reading a fellow poster who mentioned in another thread that his local CBS station downrezzes their HD feed to 720p in order to broadcast their CW feed in HD (also downrezzed to 720p) over the air. I hoped I misread what the people I was speaking to were telling me, but after finding out that the station my fellow poster was referring to is owned by the same people as mine, I think it's a done deal. On the plus side, it shouldn't affect me negatively as the station my fellow poster spoke of provides full 1080i feeds to satcos/cablecos, and my "local" CBS affiliate is most likely already sent to the Local Receive Facility via fiber since it's OTA signal does not reach the City of Albany where the LRF is.

So... if DirecTV will add my "local" in HD next year, CW HD-DNS can be kicked lower on my list with the other "when it comes, it comes" channels. However, given that DirecTV still carries my local ABC affiliate in SD after it launched last year does not give me a lot of hope, so it's very possible it will remain on my list. In the meantime, I'll just put up with the occasional cruelty that Tribune plays on me:

Posted Image

BBC America HD is of course the next on my list, and I hope the prediction of it's chances this year are false.

TV Land HD is the next on my list, and I can only hope that it's addition was part of the contract negotiations with Viacom. I'll hold out hope for seeing it this year.

While it had been relegated to the "when it comes, it comes" group of channels, TCM-HD was #5 on my list! :D 1 for 3 in 2012, BABY!!! :D

~Alan

#820 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Reading the BBC site it says that these days BBCA is wholly owned by the BBC and now use Discovery Networks to distribute. No idea as to whether the channel would thus go dark if Discovery wanted to pull the plug

Yeah that's what I mean.... I know BBC owns the channel, but they have a contract with Discovery Communications for distribution. Makes sense, pick a big media company that already has all the technology in place to feed to all the different carriers, and ask them to add your channel.

I'm still hoping. As I said, this is probably the ONE channel I have been wanting the most.

And I will probably watch ALL top gear reruns again once I have it in HD :D

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...