Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#821 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

now that tcm hd's been added i'm, personally, happy as a clam.

the wife is keen to add h2, however. it seems that some of the shows she likes are now on that channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Using that line of thinking, does anyone know when DirecTV's contract was last updated with Time Warner (TCM-HD & TruTV HD) or Comcast/NBC Universal (E! HD)?

Comcast and NBC negotiated separate contracts before their merger I think. For instance, Versus was owned by Comcast, G4 was owned by NBC Univeral, and I believe they both re-negotiated contracts separately in 2009 and 2010. Versus was dropped for a while, then returned, then G4 was dropped in 2010.

As far as I know, and to quote a famous Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: A contract is a contract is a contract. (Except with Ferengi), so they wouldn't have been able to drop G4 and/or Versus "out of the blue", they would have to wait till their contracts expired.

I can't find anything on Time Warner, partly because my searches (even with -cable in the search) get skewed with Time Warner Cable signing carriage agreements. They probably came to an agreement silently and the press wasn't interested. It's probably a footnote in one of their investor relation portfolios.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#823 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Per today's Viacom deal, it's obvious that digital rights is key to any new deal most likely.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#824 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Per today's Viacom deal, it's obvious that digital rights is key to any new deal most likely.

Yes, and it softens the 20% increase over seven years as there's value added with those rights.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#825 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Comcast and NBC negotiated separate contracts before their merger I think. For instance, Versus was owned by Comcast, G4 was owned by NBC Univeral, and I believe they both re-negotiated contracts separately in 2009 and 2010. Versus was dropped for a while, then returned, then G4 was dropped in 2010.

As far as I know, and to quote a famous Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: A contract is a contract is a contract. (Except with Ferengi), so they wouldn't have been able to drop G4 and/or Versus "out of the blue", they would have to wait till their contracts expired.

I can't find anything on Time Warner, partly because my searches (even with -cable in the search) get skewed with Time Warner Cable signing carriage agreements. They probably came to an agreement silently and the press wasn't interested. It's probably a footnote in one of their investor relation portfolios.

So the question becomes...

When was E! HD negotiated?

Proving once again how out of touch with the real world I am.... :nono:

~Alan

#826 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

the wife is keen to add h2, however. it seems that some of the shows she likes are now on that channel.

I'd like to see H2 in HD also. Far as I'm concerned, they could switch their HD carriage from History to H2. IMHO, HD is wasted on History's current crap, er, reality programming.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#827 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'd like to see H2 in HD also. Far as I'm concerned, they could switch their HD carriage from History to H2. IMHO, HD is wasted on History's current crap, er, reality programming.

If we got H2 in hd, theyd probably move the real history to H3. Or merge with Oprah and make H2O.

My only issue with H2 in hd is that the history channel folks love to streeeetch older documentaries.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#828 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Well, I like Pawn Stars in HD.

But, I will admit, there is a degree of unfairness in what they've done in switching their historical programming to H2, where many of us who loved it *too* can no longer see it in HD.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#829 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Very astute
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#830 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

My realistic bets are BBCA and H2.

Ever since HDnet rebranded, I wouldn't be surprised if this will surface.

MavTV is not affiliated with Mark Cuban or the Dallas Mavericks in any way.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#831 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

MavTV is not affiliated with Mark Cuban or the Dallas Mavericks in any way.

I think he was referring to the content similarities between MavTV and the former HDNet...

~Alan

#832 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Very astute

^ About the digital rights, yes.

As for high definition, do you think that if DirecTV were to add MTV2 HD, Nick Jr. HD, and TV Land HD, it may happen during the period of this new contract? (I haven't read anything about any of the trio's HD playing a role with this new agreement.)

#833 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

^ About the digital rights, yes.

As for high definition, do you think that if DirecTV were to add MTV2 HD, Nick Jr. HD, and TV Land HD, it may happen during the period of this new contract? (I haven't read anything about any of the trio's HD playing a role with this new agreement.)

Now that they have a deal, and it includes digital rights, it's probably more possible now then it was, with possibly the remaining factor just being where those channels appear on a bandwidth allocation priority list.

I'd guess that they know how much bandwidth is available between now and D14, know what HD channels they'd like to launch and in what priority, and once contracts get done they can decide on launch dates, whether it stays right on schedule, moves up, or waits for D14.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#834 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I really have to laugh about all of these people who want to see TVLand's 1950's tv shows in HD. Give me a break.

How about NatGeo Wild in HD? Showing that only in SD is a sin. Didn't Fox/Nat Geo renew with DTV a few months ago?

#835 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I really have to laugh about all of these people who want to see TVLand's 1950's tv shows in HD. Give me a break.

Have you watched TCM HD since it went live, mitchflorida? Even though much of their programming is 70 year old movies, and everything is upconverted from SD to HD so we aren't seeing any real HD transfers, the older movies look much better now. The change from an SD broadcast to an HD one exceeded my expectations.

No disagreement about NatGeo Wild, though. It should be in HD.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#836 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

A simple up convert of SD to HD is a tremendous improvement due to the limited SD bandwidth. We talked in the past of just up converting SD for some channels, but it's not clear if they need rights to do that.

#837 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

A simple up convert of SD to HD is a tremendous improvement due to the limited SD bandwidth. We talked in the past of just up converting SD for some channels, but it's not clear if they need rights to do that.

They could change selected SD channels to MPEG4 and give them more bandwidth and they would look pretty damned good, too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#838 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

They could change selected SD channels to MPEG4 and give them more bandwidth and they would look pretty damned good, too.

Agreed.

We've talked about that too, for most people they would think it was HD-like. SD with lots of bandwidth, which is how DirecTV was 10-15 years ago was really good, not HD, but very good picture.

#839 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I have been reading this site for years and it is quite simple that you can sum up the current status as the following:

Directv negotiates long term deals with digital rights and HD access to channels. If they have digital rights right now, then you know that HD is available for them to add.

HD is limited based on technological and financial considerations. As a business, they decide after "acquiring" the rights when and if they will add it to the lineup. Again, if they have digital rights to a provider, then you know what HD is available.

Infrastructure creates a lag between acquiring the rights and executing it into the lineup.

Providers need wide distribution, therefore put pressure to be on low pay tiers. This is a way to leverage higher gross money. The higher selective tier the harder to make a money unless a high premium channel.

Directv does not want to ever be in short term deals or negotiating one channel that is popular. This limits their leverage as a very large provider. Also, digital rights is a great strategy to limit cutting the cord movement.

My WAG guess is that the premium for HD will disappear in these deals as they become comprehensive in nature. So true will be our bill when HD penetration reaches a threshold which is still in the distant horizon. Satteliteracer reminds us of our minority status in the big picture. The only rejoiner is that I am a high value customer with a bill that averages over $170 a month.

Anyway, I read Sixto because technology allows Directv to dribble out HD in the next 24-36 months. When the next sattelite is up, then they can grow the HD content beyond dribbling. In addition, they have a long term plan to make SD being able to use the HD feeds. When this happens all channels will be HD. That date will make this thread superfluous.

Thanks to satteliteracer for his posts:)

Edited by stoutman, 21 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#840 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

What percentage of DTV's subscribers pay for HD?

spam firewall