Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#841 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Per today's Viacom deal, it's obvious that digital rights is key to any new deal most likely.

Sixto you bring up an interesting point, DIY and Cooking are two channels in SD I would love in HD, both of those channels currently are not streamed. So i would imagine the HD and online streaming are intertwined.

Also, with the Pac12 info that broke yesterday that you will need a TV provider aligned with them to watch streaming events things are starting to add up. Seems all new deals will include online access if at all possible.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#842 OFFLINE   ghontz1

ghontz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Have you watched TCM HD since it went live, mitchflorida? Even though much of their programming is 70 year old movies, and everything is upconverted from SD to HD so we aren't seeing any real HD transfers, the older movies look much better now. The change from an SD broadcast to an HD one exceeded my expectations.

No disagreement about NatGeo Wild, though. It should be in HD.

Also have you noticed that they have 5.1 surround sound?

#843 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Sixto,

Thanks!

mitchflorida,

TV Land's schedule isn't it what was after it launched in 1996.

This has me wondering what other programming is up for contractual renewal. I was thinking someone mentioned Discovery near the end of the year. (Not sure if that's accurate recall.)

#844 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'd like to see Fuse HD - they actually show music videos... I'd like to see Fox/FX Movie channel HD-they have a good mix of classic and modern movie hits. EPIX HD-just because. CWHD east or west-pq is just horrible in SD...

#845 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Sixto,

Thanks!

mitchflorida,

TV Land's schedule isn't it what was after it launched in 1996.

This has me wondering what other programming is up for contractual renewal. I was thinking someone mentioned Discovery near the end of the year. (Not sure if that's accurate recall.)

TVLand has sort of returned to its roots for part of the day. I Love Lucy. Dick Van Dyke. Andy Griffith. Bonanza. Gun smoke. Leave It to Beaver. They have stuff from the 90s too and their own new stuff (HD) but they have gone back to classics more or less.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#846 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

TVLand has sort of returned to its roots for part of the day. I Love Lucy. Dick Van Dyke. Andy Griffith. Bonanza. Gun smoke. Leave It to Beaver. They have stuff from the 90s too and their own new stuff (HD) but they have gone back to classics more or less.

I'm glad they're going back to the old shows, but unfortunately they butcher them up pretty badly because of so much commercial time.

#847 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I really have to laugh about all of these people who want to see TVLand's 1950's tv shows in HD. Give me a break.

How about NatGeo Wild in HD? Showing that only in SD is a sin. Didn't Fox/Nat Geo renew with DTV a few months ago?

Not the least bit of interest here in NGW, but TV Land is #3 (or #4 depending upon how you look at it) on my list of wants.

For the record, while I don't know what all TV Land presents in HD, much of their programming is available in HD:

• Hot In Cleveland
  • Happily Divorced
  • The Soul Man
  • Retired At 35
  • The Exes
  • Everybody Loves Raymond
  • The King Of Queens
  • That '70s Show
  • I Love Lucy
  • The Dick Van Dyke Show

Multiple other series by them could be converted to HD.

~Alan

#848 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

hi,yes why not NGW in HD,it is a good channel better than TCM.:D

#849 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

For some. I have it in HD and never watch it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#850 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

They could change selected SD channels to MPEG4 and give them more bandwidth and they would look pretty damned good, too.

That's what Dish did on their Eastern Arc birds, all MPEG4. Made the SD really pop. Certainly not HD, but very good and much better than D*'s SD at the moment.

That said, one thing I've noticed on BBCA on D*. Many ads seem very clean and crisp compared to the show. Very noticeable on Doctor Who.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#851 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

That's what Dish did on their Eastern Arc birds, all MPEG4. Made the SD really pop. Certainly not HD, but very good and much better than D*'s SD at the moment.

I'd bet if DIRECTV was building a new system, which EA basically was, that they would be using MPEG4 for SD also.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#852 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Maybe in some people's eyes...

Not to mine... :D

~Alan

#853 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

put more HD channels any HD channels.basic channels ok,now maybe to wait a long time for more HD and is only one,but something is better than nothing:D

#854 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

alan is true.:D

#855 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

alan is true.:D

I was disagreeing with you.

I LOVE TCM-HD.

I have ZERO interest in NGW-HD.

~Alan

#856 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,007 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'd bet if DIRECTV was building a new system, which EA basically was, that they would be using MPEG4 for SD also.

It could be done with the current system, but would mean that all non-HD receivers would need to be replaced with MPEG4-capable equipment, at a tremendous cost. Now if Directv would stop making MPEG2-only receivers, that would be a start.

When the cost justifies it, I expect to see all new (SD or HD) installations to be SWM, with the H25 (or a newer replacement) being the standard. Directv plans released in 2008 indicated that there would be no more SD-only receivers but the economy tanked and there went that idea.

#857 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

It could be done with the current system, but would mean that all non-HD receivers would need to be replaced with MPEG4-capable equipment, at a tremendous cost. Now if Directv would stop making MPEG2-only receivers, that would be a start.

When the cost justifies it, I expect to see all new (SD or HD) installations to be SWM, with the H25 (or a newer replacement) being the standard. Directv plans released in 2008 indicated that there would be no more SD-only receivers but the economy tanked and there went that idea.

They could start with new SD being mpeg4 but that would limit the channels and would not be liked by the content providers.

However, nothing says that they couldn't take some of the bandwidth and make mpeg4 SD a dupe of the mpeg2 channel for those with hd. The bandwidth would be significantly less so they could squeeze a few SD channels into less than what an hd would take.

May not be a great idea but it is thinking out of the box.

#858 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I'm ready for H2 in HD
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#859 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

So how soon till we see Epix?
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#860 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

So how soon till we see Epix?

You can see it tonight on Netflix. No need to wait.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...