Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#901 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

You got a good one! I was intrigued by this, and tried to search for who was the earliest born actor on films that'd be shown on TCM. Short of going through each one on IMDB, I found lots of references to the oldest living actors, but no db that showed me what I wanted.

William S. Hart? Born 1864. Died 1946.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#902 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Cool. Never made a talkie. TCM does show silent films. In up converts. ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#903 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Btw, I'm enjoying the hell out of TCMHD! So is the wife. We watched the 1938 Pygmalion tonight.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#904 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Nice one. You hold the record now!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#905 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

TtCM HD looks great
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#906 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have also looked up a few on IMDB and it seems that many "contract" actors must have been working with few breaks. 10+ movies per year for some of them.

In the days of the contract actors, acting was a job, just like any other job. Actors were paid a reasonable salary and were expected to work full time. It was not like today, where a big name actor makes more on one movie than most of us will make in our lifetime. Today, the top actors can make one movie per year and still make more money than 99% of the US population.

Another big difference is that in the days of the contract actors, very few movies were filmed "on location". The actors showed up for work at the same studio every day, put in a days work, and then went home (or out partying). When one movie was done, they started the next movie. Being a movie star prior to 1952 was much more like being a television star today.

#907 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Not counting sports, I would expect to see the Plex channels. The agreement was announced in April. I'm hoping for HD. Some good stuff there.

The Plex has movies from the 40's through 2006. Pretty good actually.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#908 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Put on TCM HD today for the first time.....all they had were 1930 moviles. Who the heck wants to see these in HD ( they were so old that the film stars looked like they were out of the silent movies era and graduated to sound movies). Who needs this channel in HD when they are showing mostly real old movies....

They're classics!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#909 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

They're classics!

+1

#910 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Looks like the Los Angeles DMA got FOUR! new "basic" HD on their spot beam today. All Spanish..... but hey, it is basic, right? :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#911 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Looks like the Los Angeles DMA got FOUR! new "basic" HD on their spot beam today. All Spanish..... but hey, it is basic, right? :D

Yeah they have been on a roll lately adding telefura and some other independent HD channels to local markets. Gotta say great job Directv, that's a big task. Maybe when they are caught up they will come back to national conus HD.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#912 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah they have been on a roll lately adding telefura and some other independent HD channels to local markets. Gotta say great job Directv, that's a big task. Maybe when they are caught up they will come back to national conus HD.

Yeah they have been adding quite a bit of PBS in HD as well to markets that didn't have it yet, and where PBS HD was available.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#913 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Its five HD ones actually, plus a new MPEG-4 SD channel. :)

And the LA DMA local HD channels carried are now so numerous with 16 (plus two MPEG-4 SD), DIRECTV uses three spotbeam transponders distributed over two overlapping spotbeams from 103w plus space on CONUS beam transponders at 99w for the big four. :eek2:

#914 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Its five HD ones actually, plus a new MPEG-4 SD channel. :)

And the LA DMA local HD channels carried are now so numerous with 16 (plus two MPEG-4 SD), DIRECTV uses three spotbeam transponders distributed over two overlapping spotbeams from 103w plus space on CONUS beam transponders at 99w for the big four. :eek2:

Well.... the "big 4" are CONUS either way, just like the New York ones, for the distant network subscribers that do not have locals.

But it looks to be rather full. :D

I am the Stig.

#915 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

I believe the is actually a requirement for them to have all Hi Definition channels local into local that are available up and running in so many markets by a certain date, and then more and more until they have them all by 2015 or 2016. So at some point, I expect all Hi Definition local channels everywhere to be available in every market.

#916 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

46 Telefutura
52 Telemundo
54 Azteca America

Cool!! now I can watch Mexican League Soccer in HD on these channels...FINALLY :icon_da:

And ohhh those beautiful ladies..... I wish I knew Spanish...

Ben
Voodoo

Edited by shyvoodoo, 26 July 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#917 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm still loving my TCM HD!!! Thanks again Directv for adding this channel.

#918 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

So then how come your avatar isn't smiling?

Posted Image

Fixed that for you.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#919 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

So then how come your avatar isn't smiling?

Fixed that for you.

Thank you, thank you!

#920 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 953 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm still loving my TCM HD!!! Thanks again Directv for adding this channel.

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...