Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#921 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

+1

++1

Any rumors as to the next HD channel(s) to be launched, other than sports?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#922 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

++1

Any rumors as to the next HD channel(s) to be launched, other than sports?

As far as basic HD? Not heard a thing.... I think we won't see much action during the Olympics anyways. After that, yeah, some sports are expected, but no news and or hints for anything else.

SatelliteRacer, want to drop a hint on us? ;)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#923 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Satracer did post a pic of Jerry Stiller & a festivus pole recently by no word since then

#924 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Satracer did post a pic of Jerry Stiller & a festivus pole recently by no word since then

That was for TCM.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#925 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

That was for TCM.

Which we had known since July 2.

#926 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Which we had known since July 2.

And confirmed by another forum on the 3rd.
DTV = Digital Television

#927 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

You know when Christmas is coming every year too, but you don't put up the tree in July.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#928 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

I believe the is actually a requirement for them to have all Hi Definition channels local into local that are available up and running in so many markets by a certain date, and then more and more until they have them all by 2015 or 2016. So at some point, I expect all Hi Definition local channels everywhere to be available in every market.

Perhaps there is hope for my market's lineup after all! :D

~Alan

#929 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I believe the is actually a requirement for them to have all Hi Definition channels local into local that are available up and running in so many markets by a certain date, and then more and more until they have them all by 2015 or 2016. So at some point, I expect all Hi Definition local channels everywhere to be available in every market.

The agreement both satellite providers made with the FCC states that by February 2013, in any market where that provider carries any local station in HD they must offer all local stations carriage in HD. So if you live in a market with at least one local HD station expect them all by next February - but if you live in a market with no HD local carriage the satellite company can remain all SD. It is a "carry one, carry all" requirement - just like the rules for carrying SD.

Perhaps this will further encourage Alan ... perhaps not. It all depends on if there is any local carriage in the market.

#930 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

The agreement both satellite providers made with the FCC states that by February 2013, in any market where that provider carries any local station in HD they must offer all local stations carriage in HD. So if you live in a market with at least one local HD station expect them all by next February - but if you live in a market with no HD local carriage the satellite company can remain all SD. It is a "carry one, carry all" requirement - just like the rules for carrying SD.

Perhaps this will further encourage Alan ... perhaps not. It all depends on if there is any local carriage in the market.

Yeah... I couldn't remember the year. Potentially good news though...

I wonder if there is a loophole in the agreement when the channel offers an HD feed, but does not broadcast it over the air.

Either way, the February 2013 rule certainly explains DirecTV's agressive local additions.

~Alan

#931 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I wonder if there is a loophole in the agreement when the channel offers an HD feed, but does not broadcast it over the air.

I believe so ... it must be transmitted for it to be protected. This doesn't mean a satellite carrier cannot carry a HD feed of a station that only transmits SD ... only that they would not be required to.

#932 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Aaa

#933 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Yep. I wasn't complete earlier. What I don't recall is if it's all markets immediately, or if it scales in.

#934 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Aaa

+1 :D

~Alan

#935 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I believe so ... it must be transmitted for it to be protected. This doesn't mean a satellite carrier cannot carry a HD feed of a station that only transmits SD ... only that they would not be required to.

The LA market has one like that just launched;

KJLA-DT 57 broadcast only in SD, in fact they have to since there's no available bandwidth for HD as they broadcast nine secondary sub-channels! :sure:

Yet its on DIRECTV in 720p.

#936 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Yep. I wasn't complete earlier. What I don't recall is if it's all markets immediately, or if it scales in.

It scales in. Effective last February (2012) 60% of all markets with at least one channel carried in HD had to offer HD carriage to all channels in the market that broadcast HD (as a primary signal). Prior to February 2012 the threshold was 30%.

(Note "of markets with at least one channel in HD" - if a market has no HD locals carried or no carriage at all it doesn't count against the percentage. For example, if 100 of the 210 markets had at least one channel per market in HD then right now HD carriage would have to be offered to all channels in 60 of those markets. The other 110 markets could remain SD or not carried.)

The agreement with the FCC is only the minimum. Satellite carriers can carry channels beyond the minimum they agreed with the FCC to carry (for example, second HD feeds where a single station transmits two HD channels or non-broadcast HD versions of the SD broadcasts).

The good news is that, within the agreement, it means more HD - even if it is only within local markets. The bad news is that there is no timeline as to when all stations in all markets must be offered HD carriage.

#937 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Sub-channels. Bit-starving, parasitic sub-channels.

#938 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Officials Expect DIRECTV to Carry Pac 12 Network

By Phillip Swann (07.27.2012)
@ http://www.tvpredict...pac12072712.htm

Washington, D.C. (July 27, 2012) -- Pac 12 conference and TV executives are optimistic that DIRECTV will sign a carriage agreement to carry the new Pac-12 Network, which will carry Pac 12 college football and basketball games, reports The San Jose Mercury News.

#939 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott addresses TV negotiations, scheduling, Penn State penalties

By Jon Wilmer (07.24.2012)
@ http://www.mercuryne...tv-negotiations

UNIVERSAL CITY -- Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Tuesday that he is optimistic the league's fledgling television networks will sign a carriage agreement with DirecTV before the football season.

DirecTV has approximately 20 million subscribers nationally.

Scott said the source of his optimism is the "caliber of our content'' -- in particular, the dozens of football games on the Pac-12 Networks this season. The programming lineup includes a bevy of matchups featuring top-ranked teams like USC and Oregon.

"Content is king,'' Scott said.

The seven Pac-12 Networks (one national and six regional) are scheduled to launch Aug. 15. Scott offered no time frame for an agreement with DirecTV or any other satellite or cable company.

#940 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Scott said the source of his optimism is the "caliber of our content'' -- in particular, the dozens of football games on the Pac-12 Networks this season. The programming lineup includes a bevy of matchups featuring top-ranked teams like USC and Oregon.

So, nothing about actual negotiations going on, just "our stuff is great! and if Directv doesn't pay whatever we demand for it, it's all their fault."
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...