Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#941 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

So, nothing about actual negotiations going on, just "our stuff is great! and if Directv doesn't pay whatever we demand for it, it's all their fault."

Well, from the tweets I got from DirecTV and what has been reported in the news as of late, there is reason to think that a carriage agreement will be signed, and it is more about "ironing out the details" than anything else.

But as we have seen with Viacom, one sticking point can make a deal go sour.

On the PAC12, by the way, we have a separate topic going:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205113
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#942 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Re: TCM HD: Does anyone know why Robert Osbournes preview for each movie is not in full screen. It's boxed on all four sides. Just curious.

#943 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Re: TCM HD: Does anyone know why Robert Osbournes preview for each movie is not in full screen. It's boxed on all four sides. Just curious.

That usually happens when the following happened:

1) The preview was originally in a widescreen format. (Or, they used widescreen film for the preview).
2) The preview was recorded/stored in a 4:3 format on broadcast tape, which would, on a 4:3 TV, cause a bar on the bottom and top.
3) This tape, in turn, was used to broadcast on TCMHD, causing additional black bars on the sides.

Result: Black box.

Perhaps the preview was old. Used years ago, and just pulled out of the archive to promote that they are broadcasting said movie again.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#944 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

It was filmed as letterboxed for a 4:3 screen. So it ends up being pillarboxed as well since nothing is HD on TCM HD.

#945 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

1) The preview was originally in a widescreen format. (Or, they used widescreen film for the preview).
2) The preview was recorded/stored in a 4:3 format on broadcast tape, which would, on a 4:3 TV, cause a bar on the bottom and top.
3) This tape, in turn, was used to broadcast on TCMHD, causing additional black bars on the sides.

Perhaps the preview was old. Used years ago, and just pulled out of the archive to promote that they are broadcasting said movie again.

BTW:

While I realize you and others are likely using the term "tape" in a loose sense for recorded video on whatever actual form or medium. To be technically accurate though, isn't virtually everything in a modern broadcast facility today coming off digital video file servers?

Linear tape, even if digital, is a relic of the past I thought.

#946 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

BTW:

While I realize you and others are likely using the term "tape" in a loose sense for recorded video on whatever actual form or medium. To be technically accurate though, isn't virtually everything in a modern broadcast facility today coming off digital video file servers?

Linear tape is a relic of the past I thought.

Yes, I would imagine that most TV stations have converted their library to a datacenter instead of using tapes. That said, broadcast tapes are still being used, either the BETACAM or DCMPRO format. They are digital already by the way, the information on the tape is digital just like DAT tapes in the audio industry that have been used for about 10 years before the first MP3 was even invented. ;)

It could also very well be that TV stations DO have a tape library still, because they haven't converted everything. I would imagine this is up to the stations to decide.

I am the Stig.

#947 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yes, I would imagine that most TV stations have converted their library to a datacenter instead of using tapes. That said, broadcast tapes are still being used, either the BETACAM or DCMPRO format. They are digital already by the way, the information on the tape is digital just like DAT tapes in the audio industry that have been used for about 10 years before the first MP3 was even invented. ;)

It could also very well be that TV stations DO have a tape library still, because they haven't converted everything. I would imagine this is up to the stations to decide.

OK;

But thought that any video tape material, even if digital, is rarely if ever aired that way, but is run through "ingest" servers for storage as digitally compressed files in a main storage facility somewhere (typically an "SAN" architecture) where any editing, graphics insertion, etc. or other manipulation of the file takes takes place for long term storage and eventual transfer to "playout" servers for airing at the desired time.

#948 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

OK;

But thought that any video tape material, even if digital, is rarely if ever aired that way, but is run through "ingest" servers for storage as digitally compressed files in a main storage facility somewhere (typically an "SAN" architecture) where any editing, graphics insertion, etc. or other manipulation of the file takes takes place for long term storage and eventual transfer to "playout" servers for airing at the desired time.

I would think most major stations have everything they are going to air stored on a digital medium of some sorts. But if it hasn't aired in years, it might not be on a digital medium yet, and they will digitize it to their data center before they air it. The cost of doing everything at once is probably too high for it to be a smart business decision. Doing it in stages, or "as needed for broadcast" is probably the way they go.

I am the Stig.

#949 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

The Osborne pieces are not usually reused. Remarkably, he often talks about the movie shown before and/or after the current movie. That would work for festivals that they repeat but his comments are often very topical.

I think they just don't have an HD studio and rather than stretch it, they just leave it be.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#950 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

It scales in. Effective last February (2012) 60% of all markets with at least one channel carried in HD had to offer HD carriage to all channels in the market that broadcast HD (as a primary signal). Prior to February 2012 the threshold was 30%.

(Note "of markets with at least one channel in HD" - if a market has no HD locals carried or no carriage at all it doesn't count against the percentage. For example, if 100 of the 210 markets had at least one channel per market in HD then right now HD carriage would have to be offered to all channels in 60 of those markets. The other 110 markets could remain SD or not carried.)

The agreement with the FCC is only the minimum. Satellite carriers can carry channels beyond the minimum they agreed with the FCC to carry (for example, second HD feeds where a single station transmits two HD channels or non-broadcast HD versions of the SD broadcasts).

The good news is that, within the agreement, it means more HD - even if it is only within local markets. The bad news is that there is no timeline as to when all stations in all markets must be offered HD carriage.

And as I recall cable had different rules, and there's where more strict.

And there will never be a requirement for all channels to go Hi Definition. otherwise they never would have had sd digital specs in the firs place, Unfortunatly.

#951 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Let's get back to anticipatin!

When do we expect the next Festivus?

Augustivus sounds good to me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#952 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Augustivus sounds good to me.

"Soon"

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#953 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

"Soon"

Anonivus?

#954 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I've got a feeling....

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#955 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've got a feeling....

I'm hooked on a feeling...

#956 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've got a feeling....

L'chaim!

That being said, I am not aware of any additions tonight. :confused: ;) :D

~Alan

#957 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

I've got a feeling....

...that tonight's gonna be a good time!

I am the Stig.

#958 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Little by little. Closest to qualifying as a "Festivus" would be after D14 is successfully launched. Of course, that's wishful thinking. That DirecTV would immediately respond. That, at that point, whatever is nationally available in HD (carried only in SD) finally gets its high def added by DirecTV.

#959 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Little by little. Closest to qualifying as a "Festivus" would be after D14 is successfully launched. Of course, that's wishful thinking. That DirecTV would immediately respond. That, at that point, whatever is nationally available in HD (carried only in SD) finally gets its high def added by DirecTV.

Festivii are by nature smaller. Maybe D14 will bring a lot but until then, we just have to hope DirecTV gets it in gear and keeps stuff coming.

#960 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

This is the dawning of the Age of Sportiquarius.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall